Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Remote Weapons Stations

Guys,

I notice that the Stryker has a Remote Weapons Station (RWS) that can carry a .50 caliber HMG, 40mm grenade launcher, TOW, etc..

On the surface, a RWS makes sense--you don't have to expose the gunner.

But does anyone know how effective these are IRL? Potential problems I see:

1) Jamming and then inability to clear the jam without exposing the gunner (or do you clear the weapons from inside?).

2) Reloading--do you have to exit the vehicle to reload? How much ammo does the RWS carry "at the ready?"

3) Vulnerability--the RWS does not seem well armored. Do weapons get put out of commission often?

4) Visibility--the downside of not exposing the gunner is that you are reliant on a camera.

Can anyone comment on the advantages and disadvantages of the Stryker RWS?

Best Regards,

Nemesis

The above listed problems are indeed the ones I've seen mentioned by Stryker units. Also, the RWS does not have thermal sights on it, nor stabilization. The latter two I believe are slated to be fixed, but not entirely sure about when. A gun shield is often present on Strykers, though most are "home made" at the moment.

On the plus side, they do provide the benefits they are supposed to. A man operated MG position has the same problems as the RWS you mentioned (at least 1-3) in addition to exposure during firing. So while the RWS is not a perfect solution, it is a definite improvement for crew safety.

Steve

I think when you look at the RWS as a replacement for an exposed gunner, not a crewed turret, you can see there are few disadvantages. Most of the problems listed would be the same in an open/shielded gun mount. The big one that came up with the Stryker RWS was the ability to shoot on the move, but I believe this has been (or will be soon) rectified. As a far as visibility goes, the crew and mounted infantry are out of the hatches observing until it is no longer safe to do so. A gun with a camera is better than a gun without a gunner. This may answer some of your questions:

As a part of the Vinghøg Softmount

family the RWS Softmount is specially

designed for remote controlled

applications. It is fully qualified, meeting

all relevant military specifications.

The RWS Softmount is the weapon

mount on use by the US Army for the

Brigade Combat Team (Stryker) and by

several other nations.

The RWS Softmount has the capability to

mount and remotely cock both the .50

Cal. M2 HB and the MK 19 or H&K

40mm AGLs. Smaller calibres weapons

can be fitted using an adapter. RWS

Softmount for other weapons can be

developed on customers demand.

Simplicity in operation and maintenance

makes you able to change weapon,

ammunition included, within two minutes

and no tools needed.

A unique shock absorbing system

reduce the forces on system structure

dramatically and increases the weapon

accuracy. The very steady rate of fire as

shown at the diagram on page two

increases the systems reliability.

To minimize the disturbance torque from

the Softmount to the weapon station's

drive system the line of fire are placed

very close to the elevation pivot point.

Shells and links are guided to secure

weapon performance and avoid system

failures.

[ January 14, 2006, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

"A gun shield is often present on Strykers, though most are "home made" at the moment. "

Those gunshields appear to be on the versions that don't mount the remote weapons station. I can't think which versions off the top of my head - the fire support and recon versions? They've got a standard 'manual' .50 cal mount and the same gun shield kit as the M1114 armored hummer.

Remember, Stryker designers were wrestling with weight problems. They made a lot of compromises to keep Stryker's weight within airlift range. Remote weapon station weighs considerably less than a turret, and a RWS using external ammo boxes weighs considerably less than a RWS with a Marder-style internal ammo feed. Any one of us could think of ten ways to improve Strykers weapons capabilities but each idea packs on that many more extra pounds.

The Recon vehicle comes with a shield standard. Not sure about others, but I certainly have seen homemade ones.

Correct about weight being one of the major limiting factors for the Stryker due to transport requirements and what the chasis can comfortably handle. They already had to upgrade the suspension system to handle the additional weight of the "bird cage" slat armor.

Steve

the RWS does not have thermal sights on it,

Yes The RWS does have a Thermal sight with zoom funtion. Black and white only. The new CROW RWS will become an upgrade in the future, it will have stab and a color sight. (soldiers complained about black&white because they could not tell the diff erent color on cars when BOLOs were sent over the net

Argh... I'm always confusing the lack of thermal with the lack of IR, which neither the RWS or the driver have. Thanks for the correction!

BTW, are you sure that CROWS is going to be fielded on the Stryker as a replacement for RWS? I thought RWS was going to be upgraded, not replaced. Here is a link to some basic info on CROWS.

Steve