Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Problem with text getting "weird" after running

After the game enters the simulation side of things (as opposed to the menus and such) I find that when it exits back to the menus I can't read the text. For instance the mission status comes up at the end to tell me how I did, and while I can see the background graphic the text inside is invisible. On the menus themselves the text is all multicoloured.

I've had the same problem on two machines, the only common thing among them is a TNT-II card. No, I don't have another card to try. Any pointers?

Maury

This is a continuing problem for NVidia chips in Windows 2000. No new drivers solve this problem (and it is a problem even for the GeForce3's). Supposedly an older Detonator driver doesn't have this problem. I think it is v. 3.68 or somewhere around that version. If it is truly annoying for you, then you could downgrade to that version. Otherwise the 'ESC to the desktop' that Panzer Boxb mentioned is the only solution I know of with any of the current drivers.

Guru 3D (click on 'Downloads' in the left-hand colum, then 'Download video card drivers' and then 'nVidia drivers for GeForce & TNT videocards'):

http://www.guru3d.com

The 3.68's are actually listed for NT 4.0, but I assume that they work with Win2K (according to others that used them when this issue first surfaced).

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

A little side note on graphics drivers.

I am runing Win98 on a Thunderbird and with a Nvidia Gefore 2 MX card. I have the standard drivers (v 6. or somefink) and everything is working fine.

However I decided that I would upgrade my graphics drivers to the 12.41 version even though there might be some text graphics problem.

I downloaded the drivers and ran the installation, it told me to reboot and that's when the trouble started. Once Windows started up again it crashed explorer right before I get the option to log in. When I clicked OK (not much else to choose from) it would remove the error window but it refused to load Windows. I tried restaring in safe mode but it didn't help any.

After trying everything I could think of I had to break down and reformat the HD :(

Now I am very hesitant about trying to install the same driver again (for obvious reasons). Anyone else had the same problem with that driver?

I used those 12.41 drivers with a GeForce2 Ultra under Win98SE and didn't have any problems (though they may have been the manufacturer's issued drivers for that version).

What you'll probably have to do is remove those drivers (possibly under Safe Mode) and install the Standard SVGA drivers. After this has been completed you may want to reinstall DirectX 8.0a again and then finally the driver version you want to use. I believe that the FSAA routines work with the Detonators up through most of the 7.xx series. After that (10.xx and above) the FSAA sampling routines changed and the 2D portion of the screen got messed up when it got enabled. I have no idea yet on the Detonator 4 series drivers (20.xx) if they resolve this problem or not. The 14.xx drivers do clear this problem up with GeForce 3's, but not with the rest of the GeForce line.

If you play games other than CM, you may want to use the newer drivers for compatibility or performance reasons. If that is the case then you'll need to disable FSAA when playing CM.

If you need any further help or details with your driver reinstall let me know.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

This is a continuing problem for NVidia chips in Windows 2000. No new drivers solve this problem (and it is a problem even for the GeForce3's). Supposedly an older Detonator driver doesn't have this problem. I think it is v. 3.68 or somewhere around that version. If it is truly annoying for you, then you could downgrade to that version. Otherwise the 'ESC to the desktop' that Panzer Boxb mentioned is the only solution I know of with any of the current drivers.

Guru 3D (click on 'Downloads' in the left-hand colum, then 'Download video card drivers' and then 'nVidia drivers for GeForce & TNT videocards'):

http://www.guru3d.com

The 3.68's are actually listed for NT 4.0, but I assume that they work with Win2K (according to others that used them when this issue first surfaced).

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried the 14.60 beta drivers for Windows 2000? They have worked fine for me so far on 3 Windows 2000 Pro machines.

What's been your experience with 14.60?

As far as I can tell (I don't have enough installations with different GeForces for Win2K) FSAA works fine with the 14.40+ drivers in Win2K. However the 'transparent text & graphics' in 2D screens still remains a problem (ESC'ing to the desktop to clear).

For Win9x/ME there have been no solutions yet, unless you own a GeForce3. The 14.40+ drivers work with FSAA, but any other GeForce still has the FSAA problem with 2D data on the screen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

sitzkrieg - are you using the default 2D screens or a DeanCo mod for the interface ? I believe DeanCo minimized a number of the elements that the NVidia drivers have problems with (the white text, etc.).

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I am using Deanco's gunmetal mod.

Bit of an 'Oops'. I am still having problems with the text in the scenario list without FSAA on after exiting the first scenario after initial program launch. redface.gif However, the text in the game (unit info, etc.) looks fine.

With FSAA on (2x, 4x, whatever), 14.60 works fine all around (2D, 3D, scenario list, unit info) all the time.

So those with Nvidia cards that don't support FSAA (TNT, TNT2) are still stuck. Sorry for the confusion.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: sitzkrieg ]