• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by TufenHuden:

USMC-Infantry-1st Gulf war Desert Shield/

Storm-4 active-3 reserve....

Bluesman good to see your alive and well

hope to see you at BOB again....

HEY, ole buddy!

Well, as much as I miss BoB, there is a condition that they'd have to meet before I go back, and I'm not so conceited nor missed that I'd ask or they'd grant. It has to do with a certain member that I can't seem to ignore or abide, so BoB and I will just have to without each other, I guess.

How ya been?

Who cares....there are some I don't like...

but don't hate....but I can't really

say that because I've never seen them in

person....so it's hard to judge someone

on the net...

Everybody has different views....

But you shouldn't let a person/

persons spoil being in BOB...

I mean you are a Great Service to the

Armed Forces...

Just ingnore them.....

It's like you don't see them in RL either..

I hope it isn't me?

I've only known you thru BOB...

By your record we're from the coldwar years...

I was in 85-89 USMC active Koneohe Hi.

The jioned USMCR actived Desert shield/storm

short war as you know-89-93 USMCR...

As far as Gary I don't things are going well

with his health as he's posted at BOB

in the past....

His son Steve might of jioned USMC in Feb...

But nothing posted lately,I should

go and see how he's doing since he's

about 30 miles north of me....

I've been to a BOB get together at JWXSPOON,

place drove all the way fron Chicago...

Long arse ride,got to meet Jeff and Bob.

Well I will pray when you go to the Big

Sandbox that you'll be Safe&Sound...

Watch you 6.....

British Army 1970-74. Platoon Commander N Ireland 1971-73.Regiment Royal Green Jackets. No fatalities(thank God),two of my riflemen wounded by gunfire, many injured in riots. Compared to what is happening in Iraq now, N Ireland was probably a walk in the park, but at the time each "incident" seemed scary enough, at least to me. I was privileged to have in my unit some very brave men. One of my Section Commanders(Section=Squad in US I think)won a Military Medal. I do not know what the US equivalent bravery medal would be but this was one of only two awarded in my Battalion while I was in it.I am today(33 years later)still stunned by what he did. Relevance of above to CM? not much - too micro scale. On the other hand if somebody pops up on the forum having been a Centurion tank gunner on the Golan Heights in 1973 then we all should be listening very hard indeed. It is very interesting to read about everyone else's experiences. What of course does not come out in CM but is clear as day in the posts is the humour in military life. Cheers

Hi Sunray, I got my queens shilling from the Green Jackets, but after traning served with the Army Air Corps. On one of the tours after you left a Green Jacket battalion got hit hard 6 or more guys killed. I think one of them was a victim of the infamous cross border sniper. Earned them the piss-take name of falling plates, (military humour :rolleyes: ) No offence intended (proud of my asscoiation with Green Jackets), just to illustrate that N.I. wasn't always a walk in the park; but I guess you know that. doh redface.gif

[ October 17, 2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: vincere ]

Sunray,

Some one did. Well, a young battalion commander. The book is called The Heights of Courage , and it was written by Avigdor Kahalani; he commanded one of the regular tank battalions on the Golan wen the Syrians attacked during Yom Kippur. The book is perhaps just a tad rah-rah Israeli army and especially the tank arm, but as a combat account it is a classic. I have no idea if it's still in print but you should be able to find it easily enough.

Apologies if you've already read it.

Originally posted by Sunray:

British Army 1970-74. Platoon Commander N Ireland 1971-73.Regiment Royal Green Jackets. No fatalities(thank God),two of my riflemen wounded by gunfire, many injured in riots. Compared to what is happening in Iraq now, N Ireland was probably a walk in the park, but at the time each "incident" seemed scary enough, at least to me. I was privileged to have in my unit some very brave men. One of my Section Commanders(Section=Squad in US I think)won a Military Medal. I do not know what the US equivalent bravery medal would be but this was one of only two awarded in my Battalion while I was in it.I am today(33 years later)still stunned by what he did. Relevance of above to CM? not much - too micro scale. On the other hand if somebody pops up on the forum having been a Centurion tank gunner on the Golan Heights in 1973 then we all should be listening very hard indeed. It is very interesting to read about everyone else's experiences. What of course does not come out in CM but is clear as day in the posts is the humour in military life. Cheers

"The Heights of Courage" is an excellent book. I found it on Abebooks.com for about $10. IIRC it has some photographs as well.

My only problem with it is trying to understand the Israeli military speak. I don't know if it's because it's so informal or what, but I can't figure out who is who or what unit is where half the time.

Hi Vincere, AAC were good guys and always helped us out, but glad you got some proper training! We had a few fatalities in our Battalion too but they were spread out in time over the tour of duty. Worst Green Jacket single incident death toll was in London, not Northern Ireland, when the IRA put a bomb under the bandstand in Regents Park when one of the battalion bands were playing there. Seven killed July 1982. Ironic when you think that Bandsmen in wartime are stretcher bearers/medics but there you go. I never thought NI a walk in the park but we never had suicide bombers to contend with and most people were content to have us there. Not sure it's the case in Iraq, there are not nearly enough troops to do the job. Potentially very dangerous imho.

Cheers

US Army/California Army National Guard 1989-Present.

7 years active duty, 9 National Guard

MOS 11C (Indirect Fire Infantry - Mortarman)

Combat Tour - OIF II - Fire Direction Chief, FOB Kalsu & CSC Scania, Iraq - 1/185th Armor-81st BCT

CSC Scania was a cake walk for 6 months. The other six months at FOB Kalsu were an entirely different story. I've been shooting mortars for 16 years. Being on the receiving end of them is no fun.

Got home in February. Can't say I miss the sandbox...

Captain Wacky - Keep your head down, your body armor on and godspeed to you, young Marine.

Originally posted by GSX:

Active Brit Mil 23 years and counting. TELIC 3,4 and soon 6. Bosnia 95, Kosovo 99 and 01. Gulf 1. Cold war - ohh the memories.

Bored with the whole dammned thing now, so Im not signing up for Syria 07 (unless its a game).

Some of my fondest memories came from my friendships with various Brit troopers in Berlin.

Some of my fondest memories came from my friendships with various Brit troopers in Berlin.
I can just hear the local German jokes about that:

Hey Herman, vat ist vurst dan an American soldat out drinkink beer unt shtayink out late?

I don't ka-no Jürgen! Vat ist vurst dan an American soldat out drinkink beer unt shtayink out late?

Doink it mit a Britische soldat!

Ah! But I tought you ver tellink a yoke. Britische unt Americanische soldaten together mit beer ist a yoke not!

:D

Steve

[ October 20, 2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

GSX, we'll probably want to ask you some questions about your experiences in Iraq if we decide to make a CM:SF Module with funny speaking blokes (in kilts of course) :D

Steve

How did you know I was from the far North of the glorious 51st State? Seriously though, I can put you onto guys who have seen real action and not been cowering in their basha like me!

Ah the skirl of the pipes.....................

US Army 1973-1976, Signal Corps, Germany

US Navy 1983-2000, Interior Communications, San Diego, Long Beach, WESTPAC, Lowry AFB CO, La Maddalena Italy, McMurdo Station Antarctica, Ft. Meade MD.

Not the first whiff of gunpowder, except on firing exercises.

Retired as an E-6; woo-hoo!

Obviously warped for life; I work for the Navy now as a civilian. Not fit to function in normal society . . .

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Some of my fondest memories came from my friendships with various Brit troopers in Berlin.

I can just hear the local German jokes about that:

Hey Herman, vat ist vurst dan an American soldat out drinkink beer unt shtayink out late?

I don't ka-no Jürgen! Vat ist vurst dan an American soldat out drinkink beer unt shtayink out late?

Doink it mit a Britische soldat!

Ah! But I tought you ver tellink a yoke. Britische unt Americanische soldaten together mit beer ist a yoke not!

:D

Steve </font>

Remember, when we Battlefronters bone up on our knowledge of military matters, we really go whole hog. We studied the AARs from that TGI Friday's fiasco, especially the one entitled "TGI AAR - Lessons Learned: Implications and tactics for Military Police units dealing with an open bar situation". The one thing different between a Fallujah AAR and this TGI incident was all the puking and slurred excuses. Oh, and of course some other stuff wasn't exactly the same :D

GSX, lucky guess. Either that or it was the McEwens talking.

Blackhorse, you're a funny guy! Especially because we all know the Army is too cheap to spring for a Holiday Inn Express. Motel 8 all the way! :D

Steve