Military service poll

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my best friends had a rather funny experience in Marine basic. Well I thought it was, he didn't at the time.

His DI had his platoon in formation and asked where all his infantry were. Only a few boots raised their hands. He then asked for all the open enlistments. Most of the others raised their hands including my friend. (Jerry had joined planning to be an MP.)

The DI told them to put their hands down and then told them that when he asked were his infantry were all the open enlistments were to raise their hands. And so Jerry began his career as a Marine Rifleman.

Strange how things work.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

One of my best friends had a rather funny experience in Marine basic. Well I thought it was, he didn't at the time.

His DI had his platoon in formation and asked where all his infantry were. Only a few boots raised their hands. He then asked for all the open enlistments. Most of the others raised their hands including my friend. (Jerry had joined planning to be an MP.)

The DI told them to put their hands down and then told them that when he asked were his infantry were all the open enlistments were to raise their hands. And so Jerry began his career as a Marine Rifleman.

Strange how things work.

Yep, at the end of the day, you go where they put you. My step-father, an ex-Marine Vietnam veteran, was what they may have then called an "open-enlistee". He said he requested to be an aircrewman. I think you can guess what happened. It was, and I'm sure still is, the same way in the Army.

Just for the record, sometimes the military keeps its promises. Yeah, I know, but listen -

I asked the military for OCS, MI branch, and Germany, and that's exactly what they gave me. Of course I had to complete one school to get to the next, but that's fair and it was made clear to me from the get-go.

Heck, the Green Machine even helped pay for grad school, down the the penny just like in the contract.

I am far from a fan of the U.S. Army, but I have to admit they kept their word with me.

Originally posted by Tagwyn:

Dorosh: Are you trying to see how many reduntant and specious posts can be entered onto a single thread? If so, consider yourself the winner!!

If you want to join the MD 'appreciashun' society then change your sig to include something like mine. Remember, always include at leest one deliberate spelling mistake or typo; it gives his intellect something to grapple with; always amusing.

Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tagwyn:

Dorosh: Are you trying to see how many reduntant and specious posts can be entered onto a single thread? If so, consider yourself the winner!!

If you want to join the MD 'appreciashun' society then change your sig to include something like mine. Remember, always include at leest one deliberate spelling mistake or typo; it gives his intellect something to grapple with; always amusing. </font>

Well, my military experience consists of 1 week in camp and 3 months in hospital ( mental ward ).

Yes, I was faking it ;):D

That was still in the days of apartheid in South Africa and I had no desire to be in Angola or shooting at rioters for that matter.

I just lacked the guts to be a conscientious objector. So I am a faux-soldier at best.

One year in Finnish Defence Forces. I was in a mortar platoon. First there was snow, then there was a lot of insects all around. And then there was snow again. My record was only 5 mosquitoes with one hit. It was real fun to try to be silently doing guarding in the forest. Ofcourse we told to the new comers not to use any deterrants (is that the correct word for the stuff you use to get the insects go away) when guarding because the enemies could smell your positions. :D

Originally posted by Baneman:

Well, my military experience consists of 1 week in camp and 3 months in hospital ( mental ward ).

Yes, I was faking it ;):D

I just lacked the guts to be a conscientious objector. So I am a faux-soldier at best.

You had the guts to lie your way into a mental ward though; this is the coolest post I've read on here in weeks! Seriously - did they buy your story, or just figure if you wanted out that bad, they weren't going to bother with you?

Nov 1984 - Oct 1989 in U.S.A.F. as 555x0, Production Control Spc.

Basically organized the workers and contractors for Civil Engineering. Pencil pusher, but I was good at it... ;)

90th CES F.E. Warren AFB, Cheyenne WY - 3 years

1605th CES Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal - 2 years

I have the upmost respect for the men and women serving today. I never had to worry about being detonated while driving down the road.

Originally posted by Drusus:

One year in Finnish Defence Forces. I was in a mortar platoon. First there was snow, then there was a lot of insects all around. And then there was snow again. My record was only 5 mosquitoes with one hit. It was real fun to try to be silently doing guarding in the forest. Ofcourse we told to the new comers not to use any deterrants (is that the correct word for the stuff you use to get the insects go away) when guarding because the enemies could smell your positions. :D

"Repellant" would be the correct English word to use in that context.

You are right that stuff gave off an odor that one could smell from many meters away. In Vietnam I poured gobs of the stuff on me, but it did not seem to have any effect on the bugs. Even today when I smell bug spray, it reminds me of Vietnam.

I have the upmost respect for the men and women serving today. I never had to worry about being detonated while driving down the road.
You would have if you were posted next door in Montana. After all, you were there to facilitate all those UN black helos coming in to take away their guns!

Ah... the good old days of domestic incompetent paranoid morons passing bad checks and threatening judges instead of the highly skilled foreign terrorists we have today. If only we knew how good we had it back then.

Steve

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tagwyn:

If you want to join the MD 'appreciashun' society then change your sig to include something like mine. Remember, always include at leest one deliberate spelling mistake or typo; it gives his intellect something to grapple with; always amusing. </font>

18 months military service in the German Bundeswehr, 12 months compulsory and 6 months voluntarily (to get a better pay), Luftwaffenausbildungsregiment, Sanitätsstafel.

I´am more an office guy so the army wasn’t really the ideal place for me. Quote of one of my superiors during training on the obstacle course “if you can’t climb that wall why don’t you walk around it”.

No combat experience, obviously, but taking several hundred urine samples on one day is quite an experience smile.gif .

[ October 07, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: moneymaxx ]