Military service poll

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US Army, 1947 to 1954. I had a couple of glorious years in Japan during the occupation with the 11th AB Div & the 1st Cav Div. The Korean war came along and screwed up my vacation in Japan. Went to Korea as a Cpl BAR man. MOS was 4745 (Lt weapons Infantry) now called 11 Bravo. I ended up as an SFC platoon Sgt. After Korea I was a target during the Atomic tests in Nevada in 1952. Went to Germany in early '53 after Ranger scool at Fort Benning. Loved the German Beer and German girls. Finally called it quits in '54, I think that we spent as much time in the field in Germany as I did in Korea. Being a civilian is not too bad!

The concept of "fight as you are" is even more so now a days. If the US were to go to war with anybody that had the ability to interdict supplies from China (oh, like China!) we'd have few replacements for the high tech stuff as soon as the onhand supply ran out. Little know secret is that although our nice toys are supposed to be made here in the USA, they ain't. Sure, the contractors are USA companies (or shells), but that doesn't mean the stuff is made domestically. Remember, winning bidders are low bidders :(

The good news is that the likely enemy is in even worse shape than the US when it comes to supporting a protacted war. They don't even have enough toys to make it to Round Two, then after that they'd have to put most of them towards keeping their own people from taking them out. That is if they don't starve to death first.

Yup, large scale warfare would be messy for everybody. Probably why we haven't seen it happen since WWII.

Steve

Oh, and if anybody played the old MB board game "Fortress America" they would see the limited ability to wage war portrayed quite well. If the OPFOR didn't score a victory against the inferior US forces by x turn, they wouldn't ever since the'd get no more reinforcements due to exhaustion of supply/capacity. Which made the game not very enjoyable after a few times played. Hopefully our world leaders have played the same game (in whatever form) and found the ending equally unsatisfying.

Steve

Royal Air Force Medic 1986 - 98.

Attached to 845 Naval Air Squadron for casualty evacuation Bosnia and Croatia 1994.

Bosnia and Croatia again in 1995 with 24 Airmobile Brigade.

Also had a fun 6 weeks in 1996 with the USMC at New River, North Carolina during Exercise Purple Star. And not so fun 4 months on a mountain top on West Falkland in 1991/2!

Originally posted by mattwagner:

3 years, 19D Cavalry Scout

Now back to enjoying civilian life.

Played CMBO a lot in the months before I left for Fort Knox. Didn't play it much while I was in. Decided to check it out again today... found my manual, can't find my cds... still looking.

BFC is really good about shipping replacement disks - I lost my CMBB disk during a move and they were able to quickly replace it. I think you wanna talk to Maddmatt.

Military brat. 1976 Basic Training (Fort Knox), ROTC UCLA, they changed the obligation from 5 years to 7 years. Having got a taste of Military life, a good look at my fellow cadets (some of whom I would not want to go hunting with), and with absolutely no guaranty of MOS I refused to sign the contract, despite pressure from the staff. Hardest/best decision I ever made.

DavidI

I was in ROTC in college and in the Guard at the same time, as I really wanted to be an officer and lead a tank platoon in Korea. Only trouble was there were no guarantees about branch assignments, no guarantees of available schools (airborne would have been fun) and 90% of the cadets were people that had seen Saving Private Ryan one too many times.

I left at the start of my MSIII year, right before I had to sign the contract, along with nearly every other prior-service cadet. Wasn't a tough choice at the time.

I a tanker. Played with the First Cav 95'-97' then came home to do ROTC, wrong move there. But I got to spend the last 6 years with a good NG armor unit, (we had about 75% vets, and most of the Company Commander's were mustangs). I'm out and if they ever let civi's with beer coolers have jobs as tanker I'll take it.

No combat for me I just got to stand at a airport looking pretty, (they would let me take my tank) :(