Military service poll

It seems we've been getting several vets here recently. Made me curious. Amougst everyone talking about how things in the military or combat "really are" who here has actually served? Anyone with combat expirience.

Mark me down as 1/2 of having served. Joined US army in Feb of 03 and made it through 9 weeks of basic and 18 of the 19 week medic course before catching the boot. Your tax dollars at work.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely none, not one iota.

However as for every great soilder their is a complete F**K up, the benefit of military experience will always be mixed.

Military accounts are full of people who thought they were winning when they weren't, or weren't where they thought they were.

look at Kerry, ( I am not being political here so don't start up, OK). One mans hero was another mans fraud...

Don't get me wrong, I am always interested in first hand accounts, but being first hand that doesn't make them accurate or right....

Peter.

Canadian Army Reserve, 1987 to present. Not one Iraqi tank made it past MacLeod Trail here in Calgary during Gulf War I.

You're welcome.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00018408

But if THAT is what a "combat veteran" brings to this forum, I'll stick with talking to civvies, thank you very much. Seeing the elephant doesn't necessarily make you smarter than anyone else.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

But if THAT is what a "combat veteran" brings to this forum, I'll stick with talking to civvies, thank you very much. Seeing the elephant doesn't necessarily make you smarter than anyone else.

Yes, he didn't do a search to see that most of the stuff he posted had been disscussed in the past few day. And yes, he didn't read the rules, disscussed political stuff and pissed some people off. But in general I think it would behoove us to be a little kinder to new members, even if it takes them a little while to learn the ropes. Of course if they are still a dick after a sufficient amount of time we should tear him a new one. smile.gif My $0.02

Originally posted by Dillweed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Yes, he didn't do a search to see that most of the stuff he posted had been disscussed in the past few day. And yes, he didn't read the rules, disscussed political stuff and pissed some people off. But in general I think it would behoove us to be a little kinder to new members, even if it takes them a little while to learn the ropes. Of course if they are still a dick after a sufficient amount of time we should tear him a new one. smile.gif My $0.02 </font>

8 years in the United States Marine Corp, Started out as a Grunt and was then put into a Sniper Unit.

A few things about guys that have been in a service, they point that out in this forum trying at times to make their point seem correct because of their experence. As pointed out, their knowledge is still just the view of one person, and can be distorted.

Seeing Battle does not make one any better at tactics or understanding War. It does normally stop them from wanting to play games like this, think about that.

And third, even though this game is great fun. That you all want to make it potray real combat and do it correctly, you all take that goal way too serious at times. Keep the game playable and forget about getting everything right, no game is going to grasp the true aspects of combat in some areas anyway, or would the game be good if it did, just my view of it.

Including siera lieone, they realised i wasnt old enough and kicked me out
Huh? how did that work, some time and tours means what 2 years? At least? and you were still too young? I'm not exactly up to snuff on teh entrance requirements for teh Army of the UK, but I find it a bit hard to belive that in this day and age, Someone under age can enlist, make it through training, Get a duty post, do a couple of tours, and then still be too young to serve. But hey as I said I know nothing about the entrance requirements for Service in the UK.

Oh and to stay on topic,

US Army 86 - Feb 90 2/327th HHC 101st Airborne [AASLT] 91A then B.

And Dillweed I almost fell under the spell of San Antonio's nightlife, Luckly though (well not for the cab driver) I spent my pass on the riverwalk drinking rum smoothies.

Originally posted by slysniper:

Seeing Battle does not make one any better at tactics or understanding War. It does normally stop them from wanting to play games like this, think about that.

And third, even though this game is great fun. That you all want to make it potray real combat and do it correctly, you all take that goal way too serious at times. Keep the game playable and forget about getting everything right, no game is going to grasp the true aspects of combat in some areas anyway, or would the game be good if it did, just my view of it.

Amen and Amen

6 years U.S. Navy including about 4 on the USS Nimitz (CVN-68) as an Engineering Laboratory Technician (Chemistry and Radcon stuff).

Of course I stormed the beaches at Normandy, but it was a lot less dangerous when I did it in 1985 as part of a tour...but still, I could have tripped on something.

BDH