First Release Predictions?

J Ruddy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vincere,

I believe they will still buy to hammer their own insurgents and counter a threat from similar neighbours.
Sure. But low end 1950s Soviet armor upgraded in the 1960s or 1970s can do that no problem. Most of the 3rd rate military powers, including the dirt poor ones in Africa, have enough junk on hand to deal with domestic problems. And since their neighbors generally have the same junk, all they have to do is keep up the numbers and that's good enough. For example, one ME nation has 4000-5000 tanks on hand. Sounds impressive until you see that many aren't in service and many that are haven't been upgraded in 30 years. And evem of they have been, there is no air force to protect them.

So on and so forth :D

BTW, as a philosophical point... we do not make games to honor people. We make games to simulate interesting aspects of warfare. Some games are made with patriotism in mind, and it shows. The two shouldn't have anything to do with each other.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

A setting is only as interesting as the game system that simulates it. A simulation is only as interesting as the setting it recreates. They are linked together. A good sim designer can make ANY setting interesting if the sim is set up correctly. Conversely, if the simulation is great but the setting dull.. that ain't going to work.

One of the problems I have with the "WWII Bigots" (hehe...) is that they think no other setting offers the same possibilities for interesting gameplay. I disagree completely. It's just that some of the other topics, like Vietnam or WWI for example, are more difficult to make fun and interesting because the subject matter isn't so straight forward as WWII is. Meaning, a mediocre developer has a better chance of making a decently realistic WWII game that is at least enjoyable to play than with other settings. Therefore, it isn't the setting that is the problem... it is the skill which it takes to make some of these settings interesting. If realism is compromised, then it becomes much easier since the developer can fudge their way around the issues.

BTW, I never said helos were not in the cards for CMx2. What I said is we have no plans on doing hot LZ type helo ops where you have troops loaded transported and deployed by air. That's a big deal thing to do and we don't see any reason to do it in the near future.

Steve

Glad I misread that part about the helos. I'm not a total WWII snob in that I do believe a good modern game is possible. I rather enjoyed TacOps when I was playing it, but it didn't "stick" like CM has. I will look forward to see what you guys do with a more modern battle. I'm sure whatever you guys have in store for us will be a blast, given past performance. But I REALLY want the WWII game with X2, and of course, I want it NOW. tongue.gif

And Space Lobsters really means Starship Troopers, yes? Lobsters are pretty much the same as the Bugs. That was one of my favorite AH board games back in the day.

Lesse...

1.Steve is tired of quibbling WW2 uber-grogs constantly freaking out about the wrong pair of underpants on some obscure Finnish unit.

2.Steve says Modern warfare is perfect setting for CMx2

3. Steve says NATO large scale warfare, presumably including fantasy NATO vs. Warsaw Pact scenarios, involve high tech turkey shoot slaughter fests that wouldn't be very fun to play, and may be out of scope even. This makes sense, althought I would still love a fantasy scenario of that sort.

Personal Conclusion: Leaning strongly on the modern small-scale engagements, maybe even fantasy scenarios between modern Euro nations.

Hehehe, the surprise is sure to be that much sweeter after all that waiting...

Wouldn't a modern setting cut in to thr "Balkans on Fire" market,

Bit daft to bring out a game which competes with your also selling, even if you are only marketting it.

My money ( being scots that's a half Groat...), is still back to the Future,

Operation Cobra.

Oh just as a thought if you take Gobra and put the enemy to the North not south but keep the Brits in the east and the Yanks in the West, you pretty much get the liberation of Kuwait....

Peter.