First Release Predictions?

J Ruddy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

When a non-WWII TITLE is released, it will likely be after at least a couple TITLES and associated MODULES have been released covering WWII.

Afterwards, expanding the scope with other time periods or conflicts as allowed by new engine would be welcomed by many and create new customers as well.

BDH

Except that Steve has already indicated that they are a bit burnt out on ww2. After 3 do they want to do a 4th right away?

I have mixed feelings both ways. A modern combat CM has been a dream of mine for years. But I also know that the first release will be more basic and unrefined than the later ones. I could hold off knowing that when it finally does come the modern CM would be better for having waited.

As I have stated before, my guess is that they will want to focus on getting the structure of the new engine solid using the vast amount of research that is already accumulated. The benefit is that there is the direct comparison of the new engine's abilities against known research will help ensure it is behaving accurately.

This gives them a reasonably certain amount of revenue from established customers verily aching to play a new WWII title from BFC AND the best opportunity to perfect the release format.

I don't see how a certain fatigue over WWII settings trumps the good sense model of gathering the readily available sales revenue and ensuring product quality.

After this stage, I would bet your thoughts about the progression are then quite correct. As experience is gained and improvements are considered, presumably having the coffers re-filled allows BFC to stretch their product line into less "familiar" areas for the betterment of their company and customers.

I could be completely off-base, but that is my guess.

BDH

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Except that Steve has already indicated that they are a bit burnt out on ww2. After 3 do they want to do a 4th right away?

I have mixed feelings both ways. A modern combat CM has been a dream of mine for years. But I also know that the first release will be more basic and unrefined than the later ones. I could hold off knowing that when it finally does come the modern CM would be better for having waited.

That's kind of my opinion too. I desperately want a modern CM (1946 or later) but I also might want to wait - the CMx2 engine is going to be refined and I'd much rather have to wait a year or two to get features A, B and C instead of getting just feature A right now.

Cooperative multiplay is big on my list, as are full dynamic campaigns. I'd happily wait to get them for a modern game and still buy whatever the first game is, even if it isn't exactly as interesting to me.

There are several hints that they are burned out on WWII. However, the market dictates that the first release be a WWII game with Americans, Germans and Tigers vs Shermans.

My prediction:

The first release will be Battle of the Bulge.

After troubleshooting the game engine, BFC will turn their backs on WWII in order to focus on modern combat. That means no WWII modules; tough luck for the Russians, Japanese, Finns and Dorosh.

Personally, I would like to see lots of WWII modules, but I am afraid it might not happen.

Yes! I am not alone. Modern is so under represented on wargame shelves. Modern for me is Vietnam through very near future hypotheticals.

Why not go back to where it all began? Poland 1939 and then France...

Ouch - no american troops there, bad for sales. Then I'll have to opt for a full blown WWIII in Europe in 1991 after the Soviet generals got tired of the perestrojka...

After that, back to the historical reality and the big tank battles with real tanks... East front.

After that, Normandy->Berlin.

/Mazex

Originally posted by flamingknives:

"the market dictates WWII"

How do you know that? Is it because everything else out there is WWII or has someone actually done a survey of all the potential customers?

I'm guessing, because everything else out there is WWII.

:D

Another guess is that WWII has much better "brand recognition" than other conflicts, with the exception of the current Iraq war. But no data.

If Battlefront wants to choose a safe route, and I believe they will for the first CM2 game, then it's hard to go wrong with WWII NW europe 1944, which covers normandy to the Battle of the Bulge and beyond.

I have no doubt that they will eventually do more modern conflicts, if CM2 is a success. One of my favorite board games in the 70's was Arab-Israeli War by AH, which was basically, tank combat during the Yom Kippur war (1973). T-55's vs. M-48's. I would love to see that game get the CM treatment.

I have no doubt that they will eventually do more modern conflicts, if CM2 is a success. One of my favorite board games in the 70's was Arab-Israeli War by AH, which was basically, tank combat during the Yom Kippur war (1973). T-55's vs. M-48's. I would love to see that game get the CM treatment.
Didn't the Israelis experiment with women in combat formations. Apparently the women fought well; but when they were wounded the male soldiers were too concerned with looking after them to be combat effective. Oh no let's not go there! ;)

I can only say that "modern" (post-Korea) would probably be the most disappointing for me. It's not going to be that though, so I'm not worried. ;)

I just can't imagine anything but WWII for the initial release. After that all bets are off, and hey, great. But to go with anything too "niche-y" in what is already a niche market would be a bit too much of a gamble, me thinks. I don't think they're "burnt out" enough on WWII to do that.

It'll be funny when I'm utterly wrong.

It can't be anything but WWII?

I'm sure plenty of people couldn't imagine a computer strategy being anything but hex-based, or anything but real-time.

The trend is for WWII, true, but then the trend is also for real-time with only a sketchy attention to detail and more focussed on balance than realism.

But CMX2 isn't going to be like that, is it?

I think it is rather simple really. How many current and past CM fans would be disappointed with a WWII game setting, especially with the number of fans who have always wanted an improved CMx1?

Why risk having to bring along these fans to a new concept when this low hanging fruit can bring in some much needed revenue? I would bet most here are aching to give BFC money for a good new CM game.

Now once the engine is "settled" and the titles start coming out, I would expect many would pick and choose the periods in which they have interest. If the game experience in the 1st familiar settings are top notch, I would certainly be much more willing to explore these different settings with enthusiasm.

I might not be overly excited over a modern CM, Guano War, or Boxer Rebellion initially, but kick my butt with a good Stalingrad title, and I am digging whatever else comes next. YMMV

BDH

I like how so many of you think that we are somehow adverse to risk. EVERYTHING we have done has been extremely risky and contrary to "established market trends". This is the kind of feedback that we have ignored...

A wargame in 3D? Nobody has done it... can't be done... don't even try it because nobody will buy it. Just make a direct port of ASL and you'll give everybody exactly what they've always wanted. What? You're not doing hexes either? YOU WILL BURN IN HELL IF YOU DON'T USE HEXES!!

Then there was that whole "how the heck do you think you are going to survive selling software on the Internet" thing we had to suffer through. Tons of people saying that we would fail because we didn't go through established channels and catered to established customer buying habits. They were quite wrong too.

We were also told that CMBB would just be a rehash of CMBO and not very interesting since it would be just the same thing but with different graphics.

Etc., etc., etc.

As I have already stated, out of the next 5 games not all of them will be WWII. That means, by definition, that only some of them will be WWII. Or looked at another way, some of them won't be WWII. Or looked at another way, some of them will be WWII and some of them won't be WWII. Hmmm... have I covered all the possibilities yet? :D

In fact, I would guess that perhaps only 2 of the next 5 games will be WWII. No firm thinking on that yet, but I'd not be surprised if two out of the first three games were not WWII.

WWII is interesting, but it isn't the only thing that is interesting. There are more non-WWII games out there than WWII. It just happens that for the last year or so there have been quite a few WWII games at the front of the pack. But overall I would say the fantasy RPG crowd has the WWII crowd beat in terms of numbers. There are also tons of current and near future games out there too. One of them, Battlefield 2, is probably the hottest thing out there right now. So anybody that argues that WWII is the only possible and viable choice is deluding themselves.

Steve

Originally posted by _Axe_:

Good god man, enough already! Just come out and say what the first one will be or don't say anything at all! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can't take anymore of this forum!!!11!!!1 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can you imagine what it would be like if they had started this forum months ago like some people wanted?

Steve, this thread is for predicting what the first game will be (which, of course, will be WWII smile.gif ). Maybe we should start another thread where we post our lists for the first five games. Or maybe...