First Release Predictions?

J Ruddy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough, I was just reading a few of Steve's posts and I suddenly realized that I'm unlikely to buy a title under certain circumstances.

WW I, great. WW II, great. Weird wars in between, even better. Korea, fine. Vietnam, fine, but I'll probably end up re-reading Heart of Darkness. Weird little wars from the sixties, seventies, and eighties, right on. Russians in Afghanistan, Cubans in Angola, Che in Bolivia, the Toyota Wars in Chad.

But I would feel really uncomfortable playing anything that is a little too current. As long as I can squint at a subject and convince myself it's history (even if I was alive and cognizant when it happened). Or that it is hypothetical and hasn't happened yet.

But I won't play anything where people are still getting killed.

So the Iran-Iraq war and the First Gulf War is fine. But I'm too superstitious to play anything more recent than that. It just seems too ghoulish (even if I used to have a close friend name Pickering).

Hi!

As a result of speed-reading these threads I can with some certainty predict that the first release of CMX2 will be a complete historical campaign of all the LRDG and SAS operations in the Western desert - with some Commando Ops thrown in as teasers for future expansions....

However owing to the lack of KTigers (and scarcity of Finns) BF may get cold feet and make a last minute switch to a more European venue.

David

COBRA:- Pattons breakout from Normandy.

Why,

The Water thread rules out a beach asault till later Modules, so don't expect Omaha.

The Paratrooper Thread says, yes to better Para rules, but not yet, so that rules out D-Day or Market Garden,

Anything before 1941 rules out Americans and it's a US company with more customers stateside than anywhere else (Though I don't have stats to back that up).

The thread on Helicopters tends to lean towards nothing modern for a while.

The thread on Horses likewise says pree WW2 sometime, but not yet.

Cobra has a mix of terrains, all the most famous allied units and some of the best German ones.

It's also got Tigers, Panthers, and Shermans, which for all the variety you can have are very much the staples, most people would raise eyebrows at a WW2 game without them.

It's got US, UK and Commonwealth.

It covers a crucial period of the war when it was argueably at it's most fluid on the battlefield, (yes 1939 and the Eastern front had that too, but they didn't have Yanks).

So I may be wrong, but if I was BF, as a launch module for the new game, I'd choose,

Cobra

France 44, Beachhead to Belgium

Oh and I'd call the game "Company Commander" or just "CO" not Combat Mission 2

Peter.

I would absolutely love to see a Battle of the Bulge game, accurately represented. I loved the BOB battles in CMBO and CMAK - they were easily my favourite scenarios, and they could offer so much more under the right cirumstances - just imagine a new engine and new graphics based on the '44 campaign with 1:1 'representation'. You get the best wild cats, excellent infantry games and tactics and strategy galore.

sorry mr.Dorosh, but i just stalked with Steve and he confirmed my fears that neither of the first titles will be Winter War 1939. here's what he revealed to me about the first two titles and the following modules.

1st title:

Finno-Russian Tribal Wars 1918-1922

1st module: Viena Expedition 1918

2nd module: Aunus Expedition 1919

3rd module: Estonian Liberation War 1917-1920

4th module: Petsamo Expeditions 1918,1920

5th module: East-Karelian Uprising 1921-1922

6th module: Ingrian Uprising 1919

2nd title:

Guerra del Pacifico - War of the Pacific 1879-1884

1st module: Antofagasta 1879

2nd module: Towards Lima - The Chilean Invasion

3nd module: Peruvian Resistance

4rd module: The Fall of Tacna

5th module: The Fall of Arica

Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

I would absolutely love to see a Battle of the Bulge game, accurately represented. I loved the BOB battles in CMBO and CMAK - they were easily my favourite scenarios, and they could offer so much more under the right cirumstances - just imagine a new engine and new graphics based on the '44 campaign with 1:1 'representation'. You get the best wild cats, excellent infantry games and tactics and strategy galore.

I second that. My 1944 Ardennes topo collection has recently expanded and I would like to put them to some good use. The CMX2 scale may not be big enough to warrant accurate topography, but having these maps will be better than nothing. :cool:

Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

sorry mr.Dorosh, but i just stalked with Steve and he confirmed my fears that neither of the first titles will be Winter War 1939. here's what he revealed to me about the first two titles and the following modules.

1st title:

Finno-Russian Tribal Wars 1918-1922

1st module: Viena Expedition 1918

2nd module: Aunus Expedition 1919

3rd module: Estonian Liberation War 1917-1920

4th module: Petsamo Expeditions 1918,1920

5th module: East-Karelian Uprising 1921-1922

6th module: Ingrian Uprising 1919

2nd title:

Guerra del Pacifico - War of the Pacific 1879-1884

1st module: Antofagasta 1879

2nd module: Towards Lima - The Chilean Invasion

3nd module: Peruvian Resistance

4rd module: The Fall of Tacna

5th module: The Fall of Arica

Although I much prefer the Chaco War, I am also a big fan of the Guano Wars and applaud it is a suitable choice for the second series of new CMx2 games. There would never have been a need for the Chaco War if Bolivia hadn't lost its corridor to the Pacific.

And it's a wonderful comment on the futility of war that grown men could kill each other for control of bird droppings.