clarifying what copy protection is to be used

Originally posted by dumrox:

I believe it will be a Centronix port based dongle whose software will come only on 5.25" floppy disks (10 disk set) that run only in DR-DOS.

Hmmm, best go out to the garage and dig out the parts to that old 386-25 so that I can rip that 5.25" drive out and install it on this PC. Crap - don't have a drive bay available for it! :mad:

having had Silent hunter 3 on my system(it has starforce)

My burning functions where disabled

and only by reinstalling the OS(Win XP)was I able to get it back

customer service from both UBI and Starforce where both pretty much useless

after a week of

delete this reboot

check that reboot

delete this reboot

they stopped any support

I found out that this was common practice for them from others that had the same problem

Originally posted by Sergei:

Hmm? That's your major concern about CMx2? Gosh...

From a source of authority, I have been informed that the copy protection will be accomplished in the form of a code disc. Code is asked at random times during play.

I loved those code disks. They were really cool.

I remember having a photocopied one for Curse of the Azure Bonds (kindly lent to me by a chum). Nowadays I'm sure some technical jayniuses could program up a code disk on the interweb in an evening.

Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

Hmm? That's your major concern about CMx2? Gosh...

From a source of authority, I have been informed that the copy protection will be accomplished in the form of a code disc. Code is asked at random times during play.

I loved those code disks. They were really cool.

I remember having a photocopied one for Curse of the Azure Bonds (kindly lent to me by a chum). Nowadays I'm sure some technical jayniuses could program up a code disk on the interweb in an evening. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe had a code disc too as I recall; got so I had some of the answers memorized at one time.

Did it? Mine didn't. But then I bought it in a collection along with Their Finest Hour and Battlehawks 1942, so maybe the protection was left out.

My favourite codewheel was the one that came with The Secret of the Monkey Island

Hehehe, anyoine remember the awesome Space Opera game ELITE? I had that on my C-64 and the copy protection for that was a plastic lens aparatus that you had to put up to the screen so you could decipher a scrambled graphic that was dsiplayed on the TV screen.

I still have my old Spectrum Holobyte F-16 Falcon codewheel too...

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Hehehe, anyoine remember the awesome Space Opera game ELITE? I had that on my C-64 and the copy protection for that was a plastic lens aparatus that you had to put up to the screen so you could decipher a scrambled graphic that was dsiplayed on the TV screen.

Lenslok? I hated that. Nine times out of ten I gave up and played something else.