running a linux dedicated server

__Yossarian0815[jby]

I'm pretty sure its number of bots. I once upped the number of bots a bit and that had an immediate effect on the server. However you can set the number of players and number of bots seperatly.

The harder part is rather to GET so many humans. I can sadly only remember two instances where the server was full... :(

Yeah, it's too bad we can't get more people on the server. :( With a larger fanbase we could manage. But the number of bots is set by -numbots0 and -numbots1, so -maxclients could be a combo of real players and bots, or just real players. jby, I know what your processor is, and while it's good, it is somewhat low-end, and if you're into building and modifying your computers, you could always swap in another Intel CPU. With the socket being an LGA 775, you've got plenty of options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2+50001157+40000343+1051707842+1050706986&Configurator=&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc= There are some reasonably priced Intel Xeon CPUs, designed for server and workstation duty.

If you want to stick with a Core 2 Duo, here are some more options:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2+50001157+40000343+1050722265+1051707842&Configurator=&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc= You should find a number of good processors.

And if you want to go quad-core:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2+50001157+40000343+1050727216+1051707842&Configurator=&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc= These quad-core processors are surprisingly inexpensive.

Like I said, you have plenty of options. And I almost forgot, 2 gigabytes of RAM is quite good, but you can always put in more memory if you want. Just figure out what kind it is (with your system, it could only be DDR2), get another gigabyte installed, and you'll see a boost.

For clarity, it´s not my system, so i can´t change that. Just a system I have access to.

Anyhow i´ll run a server tomorrow evening and log the bandwidth and maybe (if I can figure out how) the CPU load. Maybe we can extrapolate from the bandwidth and CPU use a single player causes what an ideal DT server would need.

Of course, on today's hardware dropteam is very undemanding, and so I'm fairly sure what jby has is actually probably even overkill. The computer does not have to do large amounts of simulation, probably; on the other hand it would be nice to know the specs of DP to have a reference.

Some preliminary results from my home PC running a server with no humans on board:

after an initial lurch to 50%

CPU usage 10 bots: about 12%

CPU usage 1 bot: about 6%

16 bots caused a crash :D

my home PC: athlon 64-4000 2gigs of RAM DDR 400

memory usage: 182 MB (so that at least shouldnt be a problem)

edit:

Of course I not entirely sure if the bots are actually "playing" when no humans are around.

Sorry to bother you, poesel, but I really need some help with bringing up the old maps. I just don't know what I'm doing. Could you give me a step-by-step post on how to do it?

Edit: And yes, Phonan, it definitely seems that way.

[ May 05, 2008, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

@jby: take a look at the logfile - there you see the bots fighting (tail -f is your friend smile.gif

@152: hmm, theres nothing more than 'dump everything in /data'. You need to be a bit more specific about which files you have and what you did to them.

Well, poesel, I've tracked down the /data (I think) under My Computer, but the only scenarios I see are the ones I normally see (I think, not all the scenarios are listed under their names in game). As for dumping everything in /data, where do I dump from and what do I dump? Sorry if I'm becoming a problem, but I just want to be able to play some old favorite scenarios.

Edit: I almost forgot, where are all the scenarios listed? Can they be found under My Computer?

[ May 06, 2008, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

my first attempt at quantification of a dedicated server was a frak-up.

I ran the tool dstat and told it to record cpu, memory and network once/second 43200 times and output the data in a file.

dstat -c -m -n --output jbytest 1 43200

Unfortunately it only recorded the last 2900 sec where nobody was playing :/

have to try again.

some progress in my little server stats project:

I recorded the stats every minute. The CPU load is approx 10% and is unfazed by a joining human.

I played half an hour and dropped lots of turrets but that didnt make the server break out in a sweat.

I managed to record inbound traffic and that was astoundingly low, hardly more than 1k/sec (from 1 player).

I didnt record any sent-traffic for some reason, but Iĺl figure it out for the next time smile.gif .

I wont be able to run the server today. Next time would be the weekend.

152-

I'll assume you have the .scenario files sitting somewhere. All you have to do is drag the .scenario files into the /data directory, where all the data files are.

And that's it- supposedly next time you start DropTeam, after some searching, you'll find the scenarios in the list.

If you're encountering a problem after this, there's probably something specifically wrong happening with you and your copy. Good luck!

Well, it's a bust. I've searched for the .scenario files everywhere, but I can't find any .scenario files other than the ones already in /data. The only thing mentioning any other scenarios is an XML file that's already in /data. So is there something wrong with me specifically?

Update: I did update to version 1.3.5 shortly after I got version 1.0.0. Could this be the problem?

[ May 08, 2008, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

OK. I've updated my profile here so that you (hopefully) can see my e-mail.

Update: The scenarios I would like are Hide and Seek, No Man Is An Island, Down On The Bayou, and Bloody Iwo (in restricted and unrestricted modes).

[ May 09, 2008, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

152, i thought I was smart smile.gif and copied my windows DT data folder (has all scnearios, been updating sinve V 1.0) to my Linux data folder thinking that this way I could tell which files I would need to send your way. The difference amounts to 350MB, not exactly emailable. Will have to do this on a per scenario basis... :/

I wanted to run creature zoo this weekend but it crashed and I have no way of restarting it till tuesday.

this was the end of my creature zoo attempt:

SpaceVikings: Message.cpp:314: void Message::Read(char*, int): Assertion `length < len' failed.

this is what I ran

./SpaceVikings -enterlobby false -hostmode server -lobbyname Creature_Zoo_Lives -numbots0 8 -numbots1 8 -dynamicbots true -password jbypw -deploymenttime 180 -mod Creature_Zoo_7 -maxclients 16

I think for now i will concentrate on sprucing up my gauntlet scenario and run that on my server.