running a linux dedicated server

__Yossarian0815[jby]

Originally posted by jby

If I start DT while running a dedicated server (on the same machine) should I be able to see it in the game?

I think so. Other than that, all I have to say is if you're running a dedicated server and playing at the same time, you'd better have the world's best multi-core processor. :eek:

[ April 29, 2008, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

I can´t influence the ping, it is is a function of the distance America-Europe smile.gif An ideal location for transatlantic battles would be Ireland. As long as tzhe ping is below 250 thats OK to play . My ping to DP is 170-190.

So the good news is: my server works, the bad news is I cannot login with the password i gave myself, strange...

I can´t make the server permanent, but I can run it tuesday nights, thursday nights and over the weekend. (don´t ask why :D )

I´m going to be away in the mountains til Sunday, so the next possible day to run the server will be next tuesday.

Any specific scenarios you want?

edit: If you need a server for wednesday night fights, I can let my home PC be a server for you. Could even run Creature Zoo if you want.

Well, you could run scenarios that aren't usually played, like Clavain's Watch. I wonder what Jung would do with that one... :confused: tongue.gif

As for Creature Zoo, I'm afraid that's a no-go for me-no backup hard drive if thing go south on running the mod. As for my ping to DP, it's usually 48-90.

[ April 29, 2008, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

@jby: the admin password to log onto your own server never worked for me, too. I filed a bug to Clay long ago.

@152: don't be afraid of using a mod. It lives in its own directory and does not influence your normal DT

@152: the old maps are still in 1.3.5 (AFAIK). Its just the decision of the admin to let the run or not (@jby: thats in ScenarioList.dat)

If you need any help about running the server just send a mail. Theres also something in the Wiki.

ah, thx Poesel!

152, I´ll run a server today on my home PC with some unusual maps smile.gif (starting at approx 6pm EST)

just for the record for linux beginners:

to run a server:

first:

go to DropTeam/bin

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:../lib/

then the actual server i.e:(there´s a mistake in the manual):

./SpaceVikings -enterlobby false -hostmode server -lobbyname jbyServertest -numbots0 6 -numbots1 6 -dynamicbots true -gametype Objective -password jbypw -deploymenttime 180

If you have a router you have to open port 9967.

the equivalent of ipconfig in linux is:

/sbin/ifconfig

A fresh linux DT 1.3.5 install contains only these scenarios:

Archipelago.scenario

BlackCanyon.scenario

BoilingPoint.scenario

CrashSite.scenario

Cratered.scenario

DeadGulch.scenario

Dunes.scenario

Forsaken.scenario

Haven.scenario

HotDropZone.scenario

HouseToHouse.scenario

IceField.scenario

mesa.scenario

Raid.scenario

ReconInForce.scenario

SeaCliffs.scenario

SlugFest.scenario

TheDam.scenario

TheHiredHelp.scenario

ThePass.scenario

Treachery.scenario

TwinPeaks.scenario

UnexpectedReserves.scenario

VolcanicDeposits.scenario

Yosemite.scenario

I am sure there are more in my windows install.

[ April 30, 2008, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: __Yossarian0815[jby] ]

Originally posted by poesel:

@152: don't be afraid of using a mod. It lives in its own directory and does not influence your normal DT

@152: the old maps are still in 1.3.5 (AFAIK). Its just the decision of the admin to let the run or not (@jby: thats in ScenarioList.dat)

Both tips are nice to hear, poesel. I'll see about running them. But one question: How do I enable scenarios to run on a Windows copy in standalone (I run DT on a Windows XP laptop, my Mac is used for just about everything else)?

Originally posted by Jung

Just for the record, Clavain's Watch is just about impossible to attack.

I believe it.

jby, I connected to your server briefly, but no one else was on, so I left. By the way, can you bring up No Man Is An Island? And if you succeed, could I play even though I haven't brought that scenario up in my copy(I'm still awaiting word from poesel)?

Update: I tried out infantry on Clavain's Watch. They worked quite well, 1 HMG squad leaving only a few tagets for the heavies. And I scored my newest AT Grenade record: 773.3 meters!

Update 2: New record for AT Grenade kill! 991.3 meters! And to think they said it could only be used effectively at 300... :Dtongue.gif

[ April 30, 2008, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

Scenarios live in the main data directory (unless they are part of a mod). You need to copy the .scenario file there and then it should show up in standalone mode.

Attention: the scenarios name is not always the file name. A scenarios name is defined inside the file.

And a pointer to the Wiki:

http://dropteam.johalla.de/moin.cgi/Installation_%26_Running

I've neglected it for a while and the spammers got it. Good thing a wiki has a revision system.

ScenarioList.dat is only needed when you run a server. It determines order (and kind of) in which scenarios are rotated.

To be able to choose a scenario in any mode you need the file that describes the scenario. Its aptly named <scenario name>.scenario. The scenario file describes the scebario in XML and points to other files (like graphics and sound) which are also in the /data directory.

So if someone makes a scenario he creates the .scenario file and anything else that that senario needs to run and dumps it all in /data - same if ypu want to play it.

I almost forgot, poesel, in the link you provided, in the full list of server options, it mentions that you can set the number of real clients that can be admitted, under -maxclients [number]. Does that mean that a person could run a DT server that could take 20 real players at a time if their hardware could handle it?

a very interesting question indeed. I´ve always wondered if network bandwidth or CPU use is the limiting factor (or both). Lots of turrets firing tends to slow down DP which makes me think that all those LOS/LOF calculations are weighing down the CPU. The case against the CPU limitation is that the more humans join the fewer bots the CPU would have to handle, thus making it faster which certainly isn´t the case.

It would be cool if we could play on my testserver next sunday for at least one game, because I have the exact specs for that (Core2duo E4600 at 2,4GHz, 2Gigs of RAM, on a 1Mbit up/down connection, running on Ubuntu hardy heron 32bit).