The Wednesday Night Fight!

Junglist

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a bad cold for the last few days and I don't know if I'm going to be playing DT tonight or sleeping on the couch with the hockey game on in the background. If I'm feeling better I'll try to make it, otherwise I'm going to have to say fight ya on Sunday. I will definitely be around next Wednesday, though.

That's too bad. :( I just hope people show up at all tonight, because when you're not around, people don't seem to want to hop on as much. I wonder if tb87670 will be able to show up, given that his shift ends at the same time the games start, he should make it back in time to catch at least part of the action.

Jung and I were the only ones who showed tonight. It looks like I will have to remind you all that Sunday isn't the only day we play together. Let's see who is going to come on Wednesdays. Jung and I are sure bets, but what about the rest of us? Here's the list of people playing on Wednesday starting from today. If you want to be on next Wednesday, mention yourself!

</font>

• Jung</font>
  • Myself</font>
  • Phonan</font>
  • Ruaanith</font>
  • Stonewall</font>

P.S. Nice work Jung on Twin Peaks with your infantry. I always try to have some infantry on call when I play objective games on the Blood side. On Water's side I'm usually too filled with the bot rush mentality to manage infantry and try to force my way to an objective at the same time (unless I'm playing with real people, so people of DropTeam, show up this Sunday, and next Wednesday!).

[ June 04, 2008, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

Tonight's games sure were fun. I got to do my DropTeam ballet again, :cool: and won every battle I fought. It was great to see Treachery again, and sniping with infantry. Jung and Phonan showed up, which for Wednesday is pretty good. Still, I'd like to see more people show up. What happened to tb87670? And mark487? kim2 showed up on Sunday, but I wish we could have him or her on the forums. I suggested it to kim2 on Sunday, but never got a response.

[ May 28, 2008, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]

Originally posted by 152mmDumbRocket:

You were on time, don't worry. Those were some good games.

I knew I was on time I was just early and was thinking: why isn't anybody on? :rolleyes: I was having some lag issues today so wasn't playing much during the last ctf game.

Here's my summary of tonight's games:

Although only Jung and I showed up tonight, we did do some work with Cutters, and found that using them to dig trenches around a base in Unexpected Reinforcements made the game more intense, and made the base harder to penetrate. The trenches trapped 1 Paladin, and caused a lot of motion sickness on a Thor. :rolleyes: Tonight's game (Jung and I also played Forsaken, but that's another story redface.gif ) certainly was interesting. And I think cutter digging should be used in more games, given the success of the tactic tonight, and on Sunday, during the Recon In Force round (look in the Bloody Sunday topic). Looks like I'll have to write another treatise on it tomorrow. :D

I think the digging would be more interesting if you could give the bots a digging order. BTW, has anybody ever tried to activate the shovel, leave the cutter and give it a movement order?

I know that i.e. the brakes-lock cannot be overcome by the bots.

Other than that a team would have to agree in advance on a digging pattern to get anything useful done within the deployment time range.

Posted by jby

a team would have to agree in advance on a digging pattern to get anything useful done within the deployment time range.

That didn't stop Jung and me from digging yesterday (though we had to keep digging past the deployment to get the full group of trenches), and it didn't stop me from digging a remarkably good trench on Sunday (what can I say. it stopped several Paladins, including a Bacchus). The trench revolution began 2 weeks ago from last Sunday, also on the Recon In Force round. In that round, though, the trenches that were dug on the Blood side weren't much more than a diagonal edge being dug into the base of the embankment.

Now, my treatise on the Cutter:

The Cutter: Digging Usage

By 152

The Cutter EV:

SpaceVikingsP4Release%202005-11-25%2015-44-36-47.htm

A vehicle normally associated with Territory games, and its large numbers are used for trying to capture buildings. But it's capable of a lot more. Now to see about digging.

Digging is not often seen on the battlefield. Perhaps because people mistakenly believe that digging is too time consuming. They're wrong. In the Unexpected Reserves CTF game with Jung yesterday, it took us just 10 minutes to complete the trench system that we later played against.

If a trench is dug my way, it will look like a deep V with jagged edges. I know Jung has his way as well (the "dig in as little time as possible" way, which is faster), but if you dig a trench my way, you'll trap any Paladin that tries to cross it, and cause a big hangup for any other unit. Trenches would also be a good place for sensors, jammers, turrets, mines, and infantry. Just think of the defensive nightmare you could make with mined trenches loaded with infantry! :eek: It would take a number of players to dig trenches and mine them within the deployment phase, but it would be the ultimate defense.

P.S. Why isn't my picture appearing? :mad: