1.2.5 is out

__Yossarian0815[jby]

I've just given it a spin and so far, it's a big thumbs up.

Bot AI seems to be much improved - bots group together, using EWV to provide sensor cover. Similarly, bots now use all the weapons on a vehicle which gave me a real shock when I was strafed with 20mmAP by a Thor H.

Bots also seem to adopt hull down positions with far more regularity - along with sensor cover, this makes them far more dangerous. I think the bots need to be more aggressive in attempting to take objectives but from what I see here, things should be a little more interesting. I watched a couple of Thor H's slug it out, switching between 120mm and 20mm to maximise fire rate, which was nice to see.

The tacmap has been upgraded too. A couple of new features - hover the mouse over a unit to get a pop-up menu. In addition. the pop-up and team menus now show the amount of ammo left in the tank currently being examined which is a HUGE PLUS! Thank you!

I gave the game a spin on Delta Pavonis and in standalone. It seems stable enough but only Bloody Sunday will tell for sure. I don't know if the suspension has been tweaked again - I've been playing too much Creature Zoo 4 to be certain - but it feels a little more solid. Could just be dreaming ... :)

Anyway, nice to see a new release. Thanks Clay and all!

Some big time improvements thanks.

Bot AI is good,thumbs ups.

Like the Engineers, (not mine So I don't want to here any gripes, you IG, that they're not armed well enough smile.gif )

Now for the needs improvement.

Tempest is slower then the Hurricain, and because of that it is still useless.

Please cut back the dust when the Cutter is digging. I can't see what I doing.

Also the "LOCKED" bar does not appear when the brakes are locked

thanks for the update.

This is awesome. I was not able to play much but I did try out the engineer squad on house to house.

Really cool jumping inside a building and then capping it.

Then I tried to assault a bot apollo and the bot opened up with both its main gun and 14mm AP. Gunned the engineers down.

The bot still had matrix vision though, I was attacking from its rear, and the bot suddenly rotated its cannon and fired. Then it spun around and opened up with its 14mm machinegun.

Playing infantry just got more challenging!

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

Does the update effect the Zoo at all?

Well I have to 'port' all changes from 1.2.5 to the Zoo which will be some diffing. I had hoped for some more details from Clay here on the forum before I start.

So I doubt I will be finished before this weekend so my target for a new Zoo version is the next weekend.

I hope to include new troops from Redcon, the Ramses from Chilibird and destroyable dragon teeth from Nexus... :D

Originally posted by poesel71:

I hope to include new troops from Redcon, the Ramses from Chilibird and destroyable dragon teeth from Nexus... :D

Good thing that the Curling season has just finished then :D

I'll try and work out why the Dragon's Teeth are invulnerable - could be that StructuralPoints thingy. I also think they should be about 60% of their current size, which means that the inventory would need to be doubled.

And I will pull the Icarus off the shelf again and try to work out what I've screwed up...

Question on how to defeat the engineer unit in a building. I was able to defeat Jung last night by sitting one engineer unit at his base. He would bring cutters every five minutes to capture - and then my guy would capture it back. I noticed a group of his bots gathering at the building my bot was in. However, they were unable to remove this parasite. Has anyone done this?

Here is a movie showing some bots working a well coordinated attack under Hermes coverage. I recorded it with sound as well as music. The music was just playing and is not really coordinated with the action. I think recording the sound and music in the background caused some static in the movie making process with photobucket. No static in the orginal on my desktop.

And I even wrote a short story.....

Sgt Smith's squad, Alpha One Three, was dropped in on the flank of the enemy formation, with the mission of infiltrating the rear of their attack and taking out their Hermes, which was isolating the defense of the hill. It was supposed to be an infiltration to take the enemy by surprize. The plan looked simple in the holographic battlemap display, but something had gone wrong.

The drop pod came down hot under unexpected hostile fire and there were more enemy units than expected. And Alpha One Three was spotted. Nevertheless, Sgt Smith pushed forward without hesitation. Alpha One Three began to take casualites immediately as they closed from over 3000 meters.

He and his HMG gunner were the last surviving marines of the squad as Sgt Smith crested the hill and got eyes on the enemy Hermes, protected by a tank and another vehicle out of view. He quickly was thinking about how to approach the Hermes for an ATG shot, anticipating the satisfaction of the kill. Sgt Smith never heard or saw the 120mm round that killed him instantly.

Cpl Dunham saw the explosion that practically vaporized his squad leader in an instant. Recovering from the blast wave, he advanced, his helmet visor and armor splattered with mud and the bloody gore that was once his undefeatable leader, fellow marine, and friend. With the knowledge that he was the last of Alpha One Three, he continued forward and saw the enemy vehicle, the purpose higher had given to them all.

He lined up his sights and began to fire, knowing with full clarity that he was about to die. The mission came first. The 20mm armor piecing incendiary rounds broadsided the Hermes and he saw with satisfaction that the SAM launcher had caught fire. He reflexively shouted out into the comm microphone to Sgt Smith that the mission was accomplished, that the SAM launcher was down, but there was no answer. Cpl Dunham realized that he was all alone as enemy tracers buzzed all around him. Suddenly, everything went black. He was on his way to meet his fellow marines in Elysium fields.

Above the planet, Commander Antares was watching the icon of Alpha One Three as it advanced silently across the holographic terrain. He watched quietly as the marine's names dropped off the unit status display. He closed his eyes and felt a stab of loss as the name of Smith vanished. Sgt Smith was a long time veteran of the 10th Assault Regiment and Antares himself had promoted him and awarded him a Golden Lion for exceptional valor. Antares watched as the remaining marine of Alpha One Three stopped. Within seconds the SAM threat bubble disappeared on the battle map and he glanced over at the Battle Captian and gave the nod to launch the next wave of dropships. He then looked back at the holographic map after giving the order, seeing that Alpha One Three was gone.

Infantry Attack

Dedicated to...

[ April 21, 2007, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Imperial Grunt ]

Thanks guys, glad you like the movie and the story.

I have noticed that enemy Hermes fire at infantry as soon as LOS is established, at any range. The Hermes seem to have special matrix vision, better than the normal bots. In the video, the enemy was firing at me as my squad exited the drop pod, and an enemy bot with a ion destroyed the pod post haste.

The Hermes point defense is now spectaculary effectiv against ATGs fired at it as well. At 100m or less, I don't see how this is possible.

In my opinion, the bot spotting against infantry needs to be adjusted-ALOT.