Server checking utility request

DrWoood

Unfortunately at the moment at times there are not quite enough people playing on the servers to provide the required critical mass for really good gameplay. Let me request/suggest for a little utility that runs in the background of windows/linux/OsX which alerts the user of what servers are available and how many people are on them. Hopefully this will decrease the critical mass required for readily available multiplayer games as well as really exciting games with many players and fun teamwork :cool:

My first thought was that such an utility would more likely keep people away from playing If there are 0 players you don't go there, wouldn't you? But that is not much different from how it is now.

Such an utility would at least help me to miss out the scarce opportunity when several people play at once.

I support that request.

A side note: I have often experienced that even if you start alone sooner or later other people will join in.

If I could figure out how to code those blasted menu bar items on OS X, I could look into it, but (just looking through XCode) it isn't jumping out at me.

However, I support this idea. I'll keep looking, as well, to see if I can find out how to make menu bar items.

It might be good to have an option like 'I want to play a game' where other players can see how many people want to play game. If someone joins a server people with that setting can be alerted about it and be more likely to join the game.

Might require a bit of work on the server side I guess... I miss those days (around when the public test was being done) when we would often get many players and fierce battles. Those were the days that I would sometimes not get to bed till 10am..

Originally posted by DrWoood:

I miss those days (around when the public test was being done) when we would often get many players and fierce battles. Those were the days that I would sometimes not get to bed till 10am..

Sundays 3pm EST (8pm GMT) we usually have quite a few players.

It´s become a tradition. Even my wife respects it by now smile.gif

I would like that, and poesel is right, if your willing to zap bots (usually not challenging), often another player will show. But if I could see that someone was on when I do not have DT running, then that would be great. In addition to a little window that lets you see DT server activity, a simple notification that someone has signed on, like when you have yahoo IM and that little message box appears at the bottom corner of your screen telling you that someone just signed onto IM.

Sundays 3pm EST (8pm GMT) we usually have quite a few players.

It´s become a tradition. Even my wife respects it by now [smile]

Thanks for the tip - that would be 6am Monday morning in Australia, could be an interesting way to start the week ;)