Creature Zoo 2

poesel

Heres the next iteration of the Zoo. DT does not support versioning so to avoid confusion theres a new mod. As usual avalaible at:

http://dropteam.johalla.de/download/Creature_Zoo/

Unzip the Zoo in the Mods directory. Unpack ScenarioExpr in the data directory for the new scenarios from Nexus.

Also included are the new infantry units from Redcon-5.

The server does:

TheDamx.scenario (edit: TheDamX creates a server problem so took it off until that is fixed)

CTFTightrope

HotDropZone.scenario

Objective

mesax.scenario

CTF2

IwoJimaP.scenario

Objective

New in the rotation is the no dropship version of IwoJima. Its mostly flat and I wanted to see how the units do in open grounds.

This is the description

- Shrike ATM: Ammo 30, triple shot, light mortar equiv.~

- Paladin RA-M (Nebelwerfer): Ammo 70, 7 shot, great spread, medium mortar equiv. - no turr

et turning!~

- Paladin RA-H: Ammo 15, single shot, direct, low spread heavy mortar equiv.~

- Hurricane T (Styx): troop transport (2 teams)~

- MBT KC-Hm: added light mortar~

- Ariel KC-M: faster Tempest with jammer and a twin 76mm, no HE~

- Ariel KC-h: faster Tempest with 90mm cannon, no HE~

- Paladin KC-M4: quad 76mm, no HE~

- MBT T KC-L: Thor troop carrier with 20mm (2 teams), more ammo~

- ATGM Infantry Squad (Redcon-5): 3 rifle, 2 ATGM infantry~

- Sniper Infantry Team (Redcon-5): 2 Snipers, 1 CMD infantry~

~

new in v2:~

Ariel KC-h~

Paladin KC-M4~

MBT T KC-L~

ATGM Infantry~

Sniper Team~

~

changes to v1:~

RA-M: slightly decreased range & spread~

RA-H: upgrade from medium to heavy mortar, slightly increased range~

Ariel KC-M: removed HE, upgrade to twin 76mm, slightly increased altitude, added zoom level

(also Ariel KC-h)~

MBT KC-Hm: increased acceleration (also MBT T)~

[ February 24, 2007, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: poesel71 ]

Been playing with the new toys...and I would say that they are awesome. We just need some people with some modelling skills to make more detailed models.

I would say that the Ariel-KC is a sure win. Same with the Neberwefer thing.

The infantry squads seem to move a little faster on their jets, which is great and makes them more effective.

The ATGM squad is great. We just need a ATGM model made. I was having difficulty hitting moving targets without the normal ATGM tracker and I guess there is no target lock, so I guess that helps with game balance. It does seem to me that the bots will not fire the ATGM on their own though.

The Sniper team is great too. I know REDCON is working on the modelling since everything modded is white now. The sniper rifles seem underpowered though, and it sounds like a .308 rifle when fired. The C2 system works great.

I like the Paladin with the quad 76mm. Is there someone who can model a four barrelled turret for this?

I was tried to play the new Desert Mesa but it said I did not have it. I think I do.

Poesel,

Wow! I had alot of fun trying out the new units. That M-4 Paladin is the best vehicle now. You can kill with a 76mm.... It's now my "most" favorite vehicle. A frontal assualt against three Thors (Bots) - Got on there flanks and knocked them out with just two tires blown........ Brutal - That's the way it should be. I don't think the gun needs to be redrawn. It's just a auto 76mm. We could say it's like the Marine LAV 25mm BushMaster (Just slightly bigger). It is now a threat weopon.... If you see one coming - You better take it out quick.

I'm still trying out the other units.. It's just this Paladin I can't get over. However, the Thor troop transport is great, too. I just can't figure out a good way to use it. I tried two Thor transports with infantry squads embarked But, it was a hassle.... and my units didn't make it to the objective anyway. If they had - I don't know what effect the teams could of had. They're still cool looking.

Great Job, Poesel.

[ February 25, 2007, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: ThePhantom ]

Thanks guys!

IG, did you install the experimental scenarios? Thats the .tar.gz file on the server. Unpack in the /data directory.

About the models: I first want to see that the units 'work' before making 3D models (and I wouldn't mind if someone would do smile.gif )

I like the Ariels, too - both of them.

The KC-h works like the Tempest did when we had the old towers: fly around and kill turrets. The 90mm is a real killer though. Maybe its spread should be a bit greater to make it less useful at long range.

The KC-M is a real scouting vehicle. The twin 76mm is enough to make it a bit dangerous.

OTOH is the chassis so thinly armoured that that balances the other advantages.

The Nebelwerfer does not seem to be too powerful. Its more a PITA because of all the smoke and the non killing damages it does. And its slow, can't really hide and is hard to aim.

I'm a bit afraid of the quad 76mm. Its a light vehicle after all and shouldn't be able to take out three heavies (albeit bots). Maybe it should be slower (speed and turret turning)?

IG, IMHO the sniper is definatly not underpowered! The shell works like a HEAT shell, that means, it doesn't loose penetration power with distance. Combine that with the high speed it has and you get a fairly flat trajectory. Result: you have a good chance for penetration on any surface that has 100 armour or less (which is most vehicles except the Thor). Changing the ammo to AP with a high loss rate and greater base penetration would help IMHO.

The CMD infantry is absolutly great!

Its a good thing the ATGM squad has no target locking. It would be too good with it. The missiles should definatly have a maximum range else it becomes a camper unit: deploy on a mountain in sight range, fire all missiles and undeploy. Rinse and repeat. That unit will kill everything not under PD cover.

I would propose to modify it into an RPG unit with AP ammo with high speed and big loss rate. That would solve the range problem.

Please: test the vehicles and the CRITIZE them - I can take it! smile.gif

I spent some time making them and really would like to hear your opinion.

Poesel, what I meant was that the sniper rifle sounds underpowered. I did knock out a few Thor turrets and hit other vehicles, although it seemed that only shots to the rear were effective.

I vote for the ATGM squad to have limited range (2000m?) and if its possible, the missile should have a flater trajectory. 8 missiles per gunner seems a little high as well, maybe it should only be 6, taking into account that other marines in the squad are also carrying an extra rocket for the gunners.

The quad 76mm should be slower than the normal 76mm paladin. Widening the shot spread would be a good idea too for balancing.

Now I want my quad 76mm turret for defense!

I downloaded those maps again to the /data files. Will try again later.

Originally posted by poesel71:

Heres the next iteration of the Zoo. DT does not support versioning so to avoid confusion theres a new mod. As usual avalaible at:

http://dropteam.johalla.de/download/Creature_Zoo/

Unzip the Zoo in the Mods directory. Unpack ScenarioExpr in the data directory for the new scenarios from Nexus.

Also included are the new infantry units from Redcon-5.

The server does:

TheDamx.scenario (edit: TheDamX creates a server problem so took it off until that is fixed)

CTFTightrope

HotDropZone.scenario

Objective

mesax.scenario

CTF2

IwoJimaP.scenario

Objective

New in the rotation is the no dropship version of IwoJima. Its mostly flat and I wanted to see how the units do in open grounds.

This is the description

- Shrike ATM: Ammo 30, triple shot, light mortar equiv.~

- Paladin RA-M (Nebelwerfer): Ammo 70, 7 shot, great spread, medium mortar equiv. - no turr

et turning!~

- Paladin RA-H: Ammo 15, single shot, direct, low spread heavy mortar equiv.~

- Hurricane T (Styx): troop transport (2 teams)~

- MBT KC-Hm: added light mortar~

- Ariel KC-M: faster Tempest with jammer and a twin 76mm, no HE~

- Ariel KC-h: faster Tempest with 90mm cannon, no HE~

- Paladin KC-M4: quad 76mm, no HE~

- MBT T KC-L: Thor troop carrier with 20mm (2 teams), more ammo~

- ATGM Infantry Squad (Redcon-5): 3 rifle, 2 ATGM infantry~

- Sniper Infantry Team (Redcon-5): 2 Snipers, 1 CMD infantry~

~

new in v2:~

Ariel KC-h~

Paladin KC-M4~

MBT T KC-L~

ATGM Infantry~

Sniper Team~

~

changes to v1:~

RA-M: slightly decreased range & spread~

RA-H: upgrade from medium to heavy mortar, slightly increased range~

Ariel KC-M: removed HE, upgrade to twin 76mm, slightly increased altitude, added zoom level

(also Ariel KC-h)~

MBT KC-Hm: increased acceleration (also MBT T)~

Well, I downloaded this file, unzipped it into the Mods Directory, and loaded it. Everything goes fine up to the point when I hit the return key to start playing. Then it crashes!

I have NO idea how to fix this! Could it have something to do with my outdated Raedon 9200 vid card?

Probably so. Sorry guys.,I'm trying to keep up, really I am!

OK after heering a few reviews of my troops here is the full scoop.

Sniper: yes it is a high speed HE round with a 120 base penetration. I tried using a AP to start with but it would never kill a Shrike. I pumped 60 rounds into one no effect. Also the AP round would penetrate Thor side flank armor which I thought was unreasonable (because a lucky hit would kill). I set the rilfe up to ONLY Penetrate Thor Rear Turret Armor and only from a low delfection angle. To use the rifle effectively you MUST fire flank shots(let me know if any front kills are done, other then a Shrike). I didnt fire at a Ariel, dont know how well it work?. IG: I'll look for a more powerful sound smile.gif

RTO: glad he's working out. wont have to fire him. OH be careful when calling in arty from the gunner veiw, twice I miskeyed something and dropped it on myself, OWCH!

ATGM Squad: confession time I sent posel the wrong file. I was mucking about with their jumppacks for testing so you'll notice that the squad leader j-p is a bit more powerful then the starndard issue. other then that I'll work on limiting the range of the standard rockets. But the ones named MPAT were bulit to be more of AAA then tank killer's. I'll tweak those a bit more this week and get new ones out. And I'll try to work in a new model for the launcher.

Sorry for the long post.

Now for my comments. Please raise the hover height of the Ariel My driver is looking at ground between his feet from the amount of times I've scrapped bottom. Quad Palidain fun but, maybe a slow 90mm or twin 76mm Palidain and Quad Appollo?

Crash it again and then take a look in the Dropteam.log. Where that is depends on your OS. Theres a description in the support forum.

Sorry.,I cant find a file named Dropteam.log unless you provide the exact path! I'm reluctantly using Windoze XP Home edition SP2. I am just a guy who wants to play! I know nothing about creating new games/scenarios! You guys keep advancing the game and leaving the little guys behind!

Redcon, after penetration theres no difference between AP/HE and HEAT. It all depends on the values of FragmentationFactor and the like which do not depend on the ammo type.

The difference between AP/HE and HEAT is that AP/HE depend on speed (and thus distance to the target) and angle of attack while HEAT only depends on angle of attack for penetration (all else equal).

About the Ariel: yes, I've already raised height by one meter from the original Tempest. Problem is that at higher speeds the 'ground effect force' is too low and the Ariel is more likely to hit the dirt. Add to that that there is no skidding and you get very bad driving behaviour. I'll try to fix that.

Hmm, restricting the quad 76mm and single 90mm to the Apollo might solve some balancing issues. I'll keep that in mind.

Ok.,I found a file called ERRORLOG. But I cant post it because I get an error on the forum that reads:"Sorry, we do not permit the following HTML tag or attribute: Parenthesis in HTML tag"

What the hell man! What the hell does that mean?! I just bought the game to PLAY not develop! Why is it being sold if it is not ready?

The forum software does not allow anything between 'smaller than' and 'grerater than' signs. Theres good reason not to.

The file you should look for is 'Dropteam.log' not Errorlog. 'Dropteam.log' has no parenthesis.

The forum software has nothing to do with the DropTeam software.

The Mods I make have nothing to do with TBG software. I do not work for TBG.

If you do not want to install a mod then don't. If you have questions then write them here, you will get an answer.

I do not answer to yelling.

ATGM team: amazing, got killings from far away with both ammo types, but may be it's more reasonable to have only one type and limited range, anyways formidable defense/ambush thing

Sniper: not so much fun, got side penetrations on paladins no killings even after 20 shots....., far more interestinf the FAC function.

Thor troop transport: so far I can't imagine a situation where it'd be useful, it suffers too much from 20mm fire to bring troops too close and isn't fast enough to prefer it to one of the new hoovers; speed>>>armour in these situations

paladin single rocket: great job

paladin 4x76 whow may be even too much

The forum software does not allow anything between 'smaller than' and 'grerater than' signs. Theres good reason not to.

The file you should look for is 'Dropteam.log' not Errorlog. 'Dropteam.log' has no parenthesis.

The forum software has nothing to do with the DropTeam software.

The Mods I make have nothing to do with TBG software. I do not work for TBG.

If you do not want to install a mod then don't. If you have questions then write them here, you will get an answer.

I do not answer to yelling.

Sorry Poesel. I did not mean for you to think that I was yelling at you. Thank You much for the info, but I never did find any file called DropTeam.log. In the bin folder, there is a text file named DropTeam, one named ERRORLOG and thats it. The rest of bin contains dll's.

Sorry again! No Hard Feelings? smile.gif

Originally posted by Phonan:

I believe Dropteam.log is just in the Dropteam folder. And aittam, I'm working on modelling up a fast transpot and putting it ingame.

Not there either. I'm sure that Ive checked all folders. nothing with .log in it.

My two eurocents:

quad 76 paladin: intensely fun, but too powerful. at the minimum there should be only a few of them and they should be visible as such for the enemy, maybe a deaths head on the fender or somefink smile.gif

ariel: wonderful, I like both, but I think the dual 76 is best. the Ariel should be for fast closing and flanking.

ATGM inf: perfect, as said before the range neeeds to be clipped, otherwise I like it as is.

sniper inf: cool in principle, but I see a game balance problem. It is too easy to kill dropships.

troop transports: I don´t see the need for these units, unless the base_taking_over properties of inf change., but I think the MBT transport should have enhanced armor (like immune to 120mm heat from the side) or be faster.

Originally posted by Redcon-5:

OK after heering a few reviews of my troops here is the full scoop.

Sniper: yes it is a high speed HE round with a 120 base penetration. I tried using a AP to start with but it would never kill a Shrike. I pumped 60 rounds into one no effect. Also the AP round would penetrate Thor side flank armor which I thought was unreasonable (because a lucky hit would kill). I set the rilfe up to ONLY Penetrate Thor Rear Turret Armor and only from a low delfection angle. To use the rifle effectively you MUST fire flank shots(let me know if any front kills are done, other then a Shrike). I didnt fire at a Ariel, dont know how well it work?. IG: I'll look for a more powerful sound smile.gif

RTO: glad he's working out. wont have to fire him. OH be careful when calling in arty from the gunner veiw, twice I miskeyed something and dropped it on myself, OWCH!

ATGM Squad: confession time I sent posel the wrong file. I was mucking about with their jumppacks for testing so you'll notice that the squad leader j-p is a bit more powerful then the starndard issue. other then that I'll work on limiting the range of the standard rockets. But the ones named MPAT were bulit to be more of AAA then tank killer's. I'll tweak those a bit more this week and get new ones out. And I'll try to work in a new model for the launcher.

Sorry for the long post.

Now for my comments. Please raise the hover height of the Ariel My driver is looking at ground between his feet from the amount of times I've scrapped bottom. Quad Palidain fun but, maybe a slow 90mm or twin 76mm Palidain and Quad Appollo?

Thanks for the new infantry units, I have been having fun with them.

Regarding the sniper, I think the lethality against Thor flank and rear armor is good, however a good shot at the rear of a Thor turret should take out the turret most of the time. Against other vehicles, I think its lethality should be increased just a little. The sniper should be firing a 20mm version of something like this:

Raufuss .50cal M-82 SASR round

The round is alot more effective than the standard 20mm AP that the 20mm HMGs fire. The reload time maybe should be extended a little maybe.

M-82 Video

A brief glimpse of a vapor trail from sniper shots would be cool too, and help opponents vector in on where the firing is coming from.

Bane, no offense taken. smile.gif

Thor troop transport: since the chassis is quite durable it can last rather long even under fire. If the enemy doesn't pick you off from long range you have a good chance to deliver your two teams to the heart of the enemy base. A 20mm on close range plus 10 infantry can create havoc and have quite some shock value. Engineers or other special infantry troops would make the transport more useful in the future, no question.

More armour and speed are noted for the next release.

Same goes for the hover transport. Not more armour but much more speed.

Originally posted by Bane:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Phonan:

I believe Dropteam.log is just in the Dropteam folder. And aittam, I'm working on modelling up a fast transpot and putting it ingame.

Not there either. I'm sure that Ive checked all folders. nothing with .log in it. </font>

Originally posted by Redcon-5:

Just A quick note on the Sniper rifle. And I Can't Stress this Enough, it is very important to place your shots effectively (HINT, shoot the engine) ;)

Apollo inside view

Well, I shot an Apollo's engine compartment 10 times and I am pretty sure the shots penetrated because I saw the molten "blast" of the hits. The Apollo drove off. So far all I have accomplished with the snipers is to take out a Thor turret from behind. I am dying to get an enemy squad in my sights though...