Sunday Bloody Sunday VS Black Sabbath

Junglist

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see in-game video of these matches! I enjoyed Clay's little clip (forget where I got it) of him shooting up a tank and cutter with his infantry.. and would love to see more! If I get enough (good) footage, I might be pursuaded to throw together a little promo/fan video. smile.gif

I have a fast cablemodem, please don't over compress it!

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

All the games were fairly close except our (water) attack on raid. It was a good plan, but we were second guessed and our bots (and more importantly our dropships) ran into a trap, essentially deciding the game in the first 5 minutes.

That was a good game. One thing I noticed that may have hurt you was for a while most of the water team was dropping in the same general area. I just happened to be in a Thor Mortar and was shelling the heck out of the area.

What this meant was I was able to cause a fair amount of damage to your forces. Even if I missed who I was aiming at, by the time the shell arrived something quite possibly had moved into the area where it was landing. I know I took out at least 3 tanks and a Dropship with my indirect fire.

So the lesson to be learned here is - Change your LZ from time to time. Especially if some damn fool with red pants is making your LZ look like the backside of the moon. smile.gif

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

How did today's Sunday battles go? Unfortunately I could not make it.

We had two four-people teams. We played:

raid objective / low dunes CTF / sea cliffs objetcive

I was playing water and we lost all matches redface.gif , but the two objective maps would have gone to us if we had had 2 more minutes in either (or an additional Grunt) :D . Talking of missing people: where is/was Jung? Hopefully no tornados in Canada... I hear they even have them in London these days :eek:

see the screenshots thread for a pic from the sea cliff game.

Nice games although I too was on water. :(

Sea cliffs was very interesting. Our first plan was completly hosed but we fought our way to the base still. Had some nice infantry action. These guys are really useful to clear an area of heavies. And Toby: a squad has five members - remember that when you shell me next time... ;)

Hey guys. I'm back.

There was an unexpected death in the family last weekend, so needless to say playing games was a no go for me. Things are a little better now so I'm looking to get back to kicking some butt again.

I'm glad that people seem to dropping in on Sunday's still. I'm planning on being there next week. I think we should also finalize some teams and have a real showdown again .... you know for DT Universal Domination and all that. I think this would work best if we could set a specific time and date other than Sunday, so as not to interfere with the regular Sunday random team games. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

An all infantry game would be alot of fun too...on the right map. I wonder if there is a way to set that up.

Yeah, that would be :cool: .

CTF with only Mercuries (or some other slow moving unit) and inf allowed. That would be ambush galore smile.gif

Maybe one could mod the game so inf could occupy objectives. then a pure inf match would be possible.

Ok, here we go. The server is 'Creature Zoo', the mod is 'MainlyInf'. You find it here:

download

30 rifle, 15 ion, 15 HMG, 10 Cutter, 5 Mercurys and 5 Vipers. Deployables as usual.

The server is running only that scenario.

Iplayed it once and unfortunatly the bots handle that situation very bad. They use up all cutters and crash half of them. When the cutters are gone they seem to stop playing and only one bot drops the mercurys.

Running around with inf between the houses is some fun although the scenario is still a bit too much tank loving: big parade grounds and rectangular city map. Looks like a US commie did the planing ;)

I think House to House with lots of HMG, and Rifle squads, and a small number of Thor 120 mm MBT's. The infantry cover the tank's advance. The idea would be for it to be a largely Infantry street-to-street battle. But the tanks make it more interesting. With tanks, a good defensive line can be set. The idea with a small number of MBT's is because of their sheer power over infantry, they become a valuable asset in taking the city.

Imagine.. advancing in a massive Thor Main Battle Tank with infantry gunfire going off all around you. It would make tanks a force to be feared. But also a prime target, should one not be covered.

Oh, yeah.. make the ion towers team-independent, if possible, to prevent dropping inside the city. Or just go on the honors system.

And besides, it could be very similar to the Battle for Stalingrad in WW2.

What can I say... getting psyched for the WW2 mod :D

Oh.. yeah.

Things have mostly returned to normal here. My car will be going into the shop in the next few days, almost all of the trees have been cut up. (Though there's still downed trees in places tongue.gif ) Our house has pretty much been all patched up.

I don't remember if I mentioned this here, but the NWS declared it an F2 tornado, with winds reaching 120 MPH.

So I should be good to make it to this weekend's game :D

[ December 12, 2006, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: IcemanUSA ]

Originally posted by poesel71:

Ok, here we go. The server is 'Creature Zoo', the mod is 'MainlyInf'. You find it here:

download

30 rifle, 15 ion, 15 HMG, 10 Cutter, 5 Mercurys and 5 Vipers. Deployables as usual.

The server is running only that scenario.

Iplayed it once and unfortunatly the bots handle that situation very bad. They use up all cutters and crash half of them. When the cutters are gone they seem to stop playing and only one bot drops the mercurys.

Running around with inf between the houses is some fun although the scenario is still a bit too much tank loving: big parade grounds and rectangular city map. Looks like a US commie did the planing ;)

Well, you cant let the bots use cutters anyways. A more dense urban map is needed for the game overall and I think Toby Haynes is thinking about making one.

Looking forward to playing your scenario Poesel, thanks for setting it up.

Unzip the file into the Mod directory (location depends on OS - see Clays post for that), choose the Mod in DT, restart, connect.

smile.gif

If anyone wants a different setup then just tell me, BUT: exact numbers please. How many, which type, ...

Unzip the file into the Mod directory (location depends on OS - see Clays post for that), choose the Mod in DT, restart, connect.

smile.gif

If anyone wants a different setup then just tell me, BUT: exact numbers please. How many, which type, ...

Imperial Grunt, also after starting the game and choosing the mod give the game a little time to realise what´s going on. At first I couldn´t enter Poesel´s server and then I tried entering Landis and was playing Landis playing the Poesel mod...really strange...anyhow after 5minutes or so everything worked without me doing anything smile.gif

Poesel, very good server (60ms ping... great :D ), too many cutters though, but once i´ve figured out how to edit xml files I´ll do some experimenting myself and make some definite suggestions.

Thanks Poesel and JBY, got it to work and played on the server. The infantry game would be more fun with players though I love the concept. The map is still very vehicle friendly as you said Poesel.

What is needed is a denser urban setting with surrounding terrain that is very rough, with a few roads. The capturing of AAA towers is kinda not fun, so the ability for infantry to occupy objectives would be neccessary in my opinion.

My suggestion:

1 thor 120mm (to give the inf something fun to kill)

1 mercury (for commanding the bots)

2 paladin 76mm (troop transport, 76mm because it´s not so deadly against inf)

all the inf, turrets, sensors

I suggest the low vehicle numbers to force the infantry element.

played on Objective (or CTF with several humans) preferably on a mountainous level i.e ice fortress or sea cliffs. if the computer plays the defender on objective , it´s even fun in standalone, although the AI totally sucks at infantry control.

edit: I had FRAPS running while playing sea cliffs yesterday and it really is the mother of all hardware hogs. when you´re at the edge of the map looking inwards it forced my athlon64 4000/2gigs ram/7800 GTX 256mb @ 1240x1024 2xAA no foliage) to 16 FPS. turning off HDR had no effect, turning off anti aliasing helped a little, changing the viewing distance only helped if it was drastically reduced))

I therefore suggest that everbody with equal or weaker hardware turns off AA (this can be done during the game)when playing sea cliffs when many players are present like on sunday. It might help with the lag problem on this map.

[ December 14, 2006, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: __Yossarian0815[jby] ]

[QB] Ok, here we go. The server is 'Creature Zoo', the mod is 'MainlyInf'. You find it here:

Neat! I look forward to trying it out. (Especially now that the connection problems I've been plagued with seem to have been fixed.)

I think asymmetric forces - one infantry heavy, the other with no or little infantry - could be a lot of fun. Though it might need an even more infantry-friendly map.

I like the idea of including the Thor. Though could the turret rotation rate (Stop/Motor Torque?) and and maybe chassis turn-rate be slowed for the mod? Say, half or 2/3s the current speed? I think that'd help make the current "US commie" map more infantry friendly. And I guess that could be generalized to the Cutters and Mercs, too.

[ December 14, 2006, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Tarquelne ]