Sunday Bloody Sunday VS Black Sabbath

Junglist

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Toby Haynes:

Good battles again today folks. Apologies for breaking off after three rounds with no sign off but I had an important phone call to field.

Thanks to all who played - fun fun fun!

Yeah t´was good. Lag was bad sometimes, bit it let up again as fast as it came. Very short AAR:

1) Archipelago CTF:

Both teams were strong defenders. Scores were even most of the game, with my team (blood AFAIR) slowly gaining an advantage. Unfortunately in the last of the third game I made a serious error. I saw Ithai coming and was in a Mercury. So I thought, oh well there is time enough, extracted, and tried to drop in a thor. Naturally my Dropship pilot was on stims again and crashed into a building of our base :mad: , enabling Ithai to take our flag. We caught him finally, but the chase was expensive in hardware and we lost on points.

2)(can never remember the name of this one, but "gentle monopods" is in the title smile.gif )

I was on the defending team. I did some extensive mining around the base, though I didnt put any mines closer than say 100-200m. I hope the mines were annoying the right team :D . The battle see-sawed back and forth, with teams trying to drop behind each other. Water nearly took the base once, but were repulsed by a Paladin charge (the only hardware we had left) at the end of the game, leaving glorious blood victorious. This game was by far the laggiest btw. (always is actually)

3)the city level. this game was decided in the first minute by an expert massive drop of AA turrets. We had the same idea, but were too slow. At mid-game we ran out of cutters.

4) ice island

I was on the defending side. The attackers never even got close to winning this one. I hope one day I will be on the attacking team on this one, because I have devised a cunning plan . The attackers did destroy most of our turrets, but their infantry charges were stopped by 20mm shells in their battle armour.

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

Very short AAR:

2)(can never remember the name of this one, but "gentle monopods" is in the title smile.gif )

I was on the defending team. I did some extensive mining around the base, though I didnt put any mines closer than say 100-200m. I hope the mines were annoying the right team :D

I lost several cutters clearing those mine fields - they were very nicely placed.

3)the city level. this game was decided in the first minute by an expert massive drop of AA turrets. We had the same idea, but were too slow. At mid-game we ran out of cutters.

I keep messing around with the tactics for the city level. This time I think the balance of air defence, seizing turrets and ground defence worked out really well. I also have a new tactic for removing enemy AA turrets (no - I'm not telling you what it is :) ) which made the difference this Sunday between partial air control and total air superiority.

All in all great fun.

I know that the mines have been removed from in game due to their potential for abuse during play. I'd really like to see a vehicle that can lay mines (maybe a hovercraft mine layer...) so that static defense can be rebuilt against hordes of cutters clearing them away. Limiting the mine ammo for the level might make a lot of sense.

Yesterday´s battles had some intersting tactics.

Mining the flag in CTF.

I had toyed with this idea but thought it too impracticle because of the tendency of your own bots to trundle into your own mines. Water managed very well with this tactic though and won on points. I was blood in this case, at least I used the tempest the first time in my DT-life, a unit that I find rather useless otherwise.

Getting Ion Inf into buildings.

This tactic didn´t save Water from Blood´s superior defense, but it was a royal pain in the $%&/! Especially since they put the inf in our air defense tower... :mad:

Two good games yesterday. I was in the same two that __Yossarian0815[jby] mentioned, on the other team.

I got it a bit late for the CTF game, so I didn't know anything about the mines. The other team very nearly managed to get a flag capture. I know I was sweating something awful as it kept getting closer and closer to scoring.

What I had fun doing was bringing down the hammer. I'm starting to get better at judging where to put rounds from my Thor-M to do the most good. In the second game I took out 2 or 3 Bacchus and a host of turrets. High point for me - Guessing right where a dropship would land and knocking it down a mortar shell.

As for the Ion Inf in the building, that was me. I'm glad you liked the house guests! smile.gif

The Raid map has really changed a lot since I first played it on the demo. One of the big things is the Drop Pods. Anyone wondering how I managed to get a couple AA turrets and a pair of 90mm turrets down in the AoE of your PD tower? :D

Nice parking job! Indeed, the defenders were quite inventive with turret placement on this level. I hadn't realised that this extended to Paladins-on-the-roof :)

I did feel a little cheated though - we waltzed in and crushed the central towers with HE but still didn't get the Objective score to tick in our favour. Still a great time though :)

The defenders were, without a doubt, very creative with their placement of turrets during this battle. However, I do have to agree with Nexus about the scoring. I recall spending an extended period of time on the objective (along with at least a couple of other bots and players) with no enemy even nearby, yet the score remained in the defenders favour for many minutes. Either way though, it was an intense battle thåt was well fought by both sides.

I was glad to see so many people out yesterday despite the fact that there was no reminder on the forum leading up to it. There are some good battles throughout the week, but the Sunday battles are definitely the ones I get most excited for. Good job folks.

sunday AARs

1) "gentle monopods" Blood was the attacker here. Poesel suggested attacking N and W.

Advancing:

advance.jpg

Cowardly water had mined the E and put a ton of turrets to the S (not sure if they were there from the beginning) ast the time we did´r realise that we were being chanelled. Additionally Jalinth (water) was mortaring us all the time, though I never quite figured out who was telling him where to fire, some very good coordination there! Especially considering the proximity of their own defending units. So in the end while it never felt like we were losing, we always got close but never there.

Poesel & me on or last charge:

thelastcharge.jpg

2) house to house

blood won the "turret on the roof battle", and we were well ahead during most of the game. our winning strategy was: don´t let the bots take cutters and kill the enemy cutters! during the last third of the game water staged a comeback and pulled ahead with a concentrated attack with a cutter, but that came at the price of leaving open their flanks, enabling me to take some buildings back. twice in this game i managed to take a building seconds before the water hordes overwhelmed my cutter...mucho exciting. so exciting that i didn´t take a pic smile.gif

actually took one of the end result, but I won´t rub it in.

3) ice island map :mad:

this should have worked but it didn´t. we methodically destroyed their turrets and planned to mass drop inf and turrets after ctrl f e s. saddly enemy 2 hermes survived (i admit to forgetting that hermes is immune to emp)

this map remains my nemesis. next time

4) raid

i did the jalinth inf trick on steroids and put ion inf in three buildings. this was very effective. it took water more than 2/3 of the game to destroy one of the towers. while water did often enter the base we were always in control.

I used turrets only on the buildings to keep water from placing aa on them (lessons learned tongue.gif )

as mentioned before, i have some films of this last battle, but i´v eonly got 20megs of webspace...

1) defense had that 'annoying ion in the tower' thing running - 8 shots HE solved the problem. smile.gif

Still we just couldn't get the hang of the base, very well fought. At the end I think defenders ran out of useful units but then it was too late.

2) I missed the inital strategic planning so I just went ahead and shot the red bastards. smile.gif

This was one of the games where somehow noone had enough interest to actually kill me. I lasted ~20min in my Thor shooting bots until ammo nearly ran out and IIRC Junglist put me out of my misery.

3) very well defended. Two rows with mines and lots of towers. No way to get a cutter in (I'm not sure we have one?). I hope the next version brings some method of 'remote remove' for mines.

One good tactic the defenders employed is to be far away under a sensor jammer. With the reduced visibility on that map you become nearly invisible. Only could see someone if they were standing on the ridge.

Oh and btw: the turrets shoot farther than you can see them.

Near the end the server stopped responding to me. That were two 'crashes' in five games. Not a good ratio.

Nonetheless enjoyed it very much. Can't make it next sunday however. I need a faster laptop...

jby, I have webspace a plenty. Send me a mail and we see how to get the files there.

It was a good time indeed. Thanks to all for a good fight!

It would be interesting if there was a way to have standardized teams so that tactics could be preplanned and team scores could be kept. A tournament could then be set up.

I hope by playing infantry mostly in the games that I did not hurt my team to much. I just love the thrill of the hunt. Hopefully one day the heavy infantry squads will be running around out there as well, as well as other units.

Everyone clean your weapons and check your ammo for next Sunday.

Imperial Grunt,....Out.

Originally posted by aittam:

nice matches pity the server crashed a little bit too much; never understood why we didn't won the raid map

If there was a scoring problem then it was serverside. the scoring works in single player. we had inf in every tower (3) and 1 tower was still standing at the end of the game IIRC. so if inf count in the scoring (not sure right now) that would explain your not getting points.

@the crashes. yeah, i hope that gets fixed in one of the next updates. the crazy thing about the crases / lag is that it isn´t predictable in any way, its as if the badwidth would suddenly drop away for a min, like a power flux.

I agree with Imperial Grunt on the topic of the need for some sort of standardized teams; the Upstarts VS Devs challenge was done with this in mind. However, getting some type of consistent teams organized takes some effort on our part. There also has to be a large enough desire amongst our fellow gamers to make it feasible.

Do we want to evolve?

I personally do. So far the only real team to come together in answer to a call to arms has been the Upstarts....unless we include the long since vanquished Dev menace of course. I can't help but wonder if there is a team out there who could withstand the combined onslaught of the Upstarts.....

Anyway, I once declared allegiance to the Live Ship Rbentus, but Admiral Iceman seems to have become slightly unpredictable in regards to arriving for battles and such. Therefore forcing me to question my allegiance to his cause - sorry Iceman, but it's true.

So, In a further effort to complicate things, I hereby challenge ANYONE out there to recruit a team to do battle with the Upstarts. Once again, on the line, ultimate bragging rights in the DropTeam Universe!

If that doesn't work we could always form teams based on alphabetical order....or birthdays.....or height....or.....any ideas?

Maybe this is more in line with the Wish list: do we want an online Statistics system? It might be interesting to see who has the highest hit/miss ratio or the smallest average number of hits per kill. Such a statistics system could lead to a ranking (either numeric or title-based, such as Corporal/Lieutenant/etc.).

Then teams could be balanced based on the relative ranking of the players.

Additionally Jalinth (water) was mortaring us all the time, though I never quite figured out who was telling him where to fire, some very good coordination there! Especially considering the proximity of their own defending units.

I wish I could take credit, but I am but a humble servant of the god of war. It is through his blessed shells that I do his work. His divine will guides them to his cursed foes such that they may be cleansed in his purifying fires. How his shells land to purge the unbelievers while preserving the faithful is a one of the great mysteries of the faith. Only his chosen few are gifted to learn the great truths, the truths of observation, of flight times, of leading and of sustained fire. Only his true disciples are taught the lessons of direct viewing, the wonders of reading the output of his most holy deployables, and of the mantras striking down the infidels unholy "DZ"s.

Artilleryman Jalinth, servant of the King of Battles and follower of the god of war!

(Who in real life, is actually a civi, but his pants do seem to be turning red for some reason... :D .)

Originally posted by poesel71:

1) defense had that 'annoying ion in the tower' thing running - 8 shots HE solved the problem. smile.gif

I THOUGHT I had annoyed someone when I took a break from shelling and noticed that the tower I had put the troops into had disappeared. Amazing how much people hate that little 6mm beam of aggravation!

During that Gentle Monopods game, I took a cutter and tore up the road leading into the objective. Anyone notice? Was it a problem for the attackers or should I waste my time doing something else next time?

Originally posted by Junglist:

So, In a further effort to complicate things, I hereby challenge ANYONE out there to recruit a team to do battle with the Upstarts. Once again, on the line, ultimate bragging rights in the DropTeam Universe!

Upstarts, hah! Starry-eyed rebels of the galactic fringe, thats what you are!

The Epsilon Eridani Gas Giants (EEGG) challenge you to mortal combat on Hopewell!

------------------------------------------------

JOIN THE Epsilon Eridani Gas Giants NOW!

For Antimatter, Credits and Free Visits to the Leather Goddesses of Phobos

Geez jby, here I was thinking you were a loyal member of the Upstarts, instead you've been planning rebellion all along! I'm not so sure I would have been so bold in my praise of the Upstarts if I had known we could no longer call on your skills. What's next?!?Nexus' New-World Raiders? Phantom's Fabulous Five? Smeltz Belts? Stonewall's Stone-Age Brawlers?

I guess that brings me to what I see as the major stumbling block towards forming semi-permanent teams: trying to figure out who to team-up with. It seems basic, but to help illustrate my point: I don't even know who the Upstarts are, despite the fact that I'm challenging people to fight us, whoever WE are. Like Toby suggest, we need some type of system for making teams balanced, otherwise the game loses its appeal if you should be on the losing team all the time (same could be said if one is always winning I guess)