Sunday Bloody Sunday VS Black Sabbath

Junglist

re: the inf only match: intersting, but the game is not made for it

re: the dead gulch game:

Poesel I saw afterwards that I had turned off the volume of my microphone...doh (zuviel Zielwasser am Vortag)

Stonewall really killed us in that game by killing my standing by Mercury a second before I was going to take it over to start our final attack. The 2 minutes we lost there were crucial. Excellent game.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on the infantry only match, it was interesting but also frustrating in ways; too much micromanaging involved in the bots - if we had the luxury of lots of players it might work better.

I thought the Dead Gulch game was classic example of how much fun Drop Team can be. We've played that map loads of times and yet again the battle evolved unlike any we've played yet (that I can remember) and yet again it was decided in the final minutes.

Yeah, those were some good games yesterday. At Sea Cliffs I got 53 kills, smile.gif I had a lot of fun, and I agree with both of you. The all infantry all around is only manageable if there are a lot of human players. Dead Gulch was another great game, where I got off some great shots on just about everyone else on the opposing side. If only we had had more people... :(

If you don't see this in time, Clay, could you mix Clavain's Watch into this Wednesday? It would be interesting to see how myself and the other vets handle this rarely seen map. I've played it once before and can give the rest of you a briefing. It's a map where Blood has to defend an objective on a crashed 300-year old Mu Arae starship. Little gravity and almost no atmosphere. The objective is on a steep hill in a mountainous area, so infantry will be vital for both Water and Blood.

Maybe the date of the starship can give us a clue about the time in which DropTeam takes place. If faster than light drive was invented in 2100, and colonization took 250 years, that would put the beginning of the first Integration Expedition in 2350. Knowing that the HS Sabre is 300 years old as of today, that would put the events in DropTeam in the year 2650.

Sound plausible?

Today's rounds were awesome! jby, STONEWALL, Ithai, and Ruaanith showed up, and we had quite a time. After a failure at Desert Mesa with Ruaanith, I joined jby and triumphed on House to House! :eek: smile.gif Did some quality fighting there, where I dueled with Ruaanith's infantry and stopped Ithai's building runs with one well placed shot after another.

Then came the Low Dunes round, which reminded me why I love this game. Midway through the game, I had to do Shrike ballet to avoid fire and keep up with Ruaanith, did quite well, and engaged in several running gun battles with other Shrikes. The final score: jby and me 3, Ithai and Ruaanith 0! Clay, if you can see this, please update the replay server so we can see the Shrike ballet!

P.S. Ruaanith, your harassment skills with a 20mm Paladin are really scary. :eek: I wonder what would happen if you teamed up with Jung next time? Carry around one of his infantry squads and see what terror you two can bring.

Actually our (me and stonewall) victory in Mesa (territory) was quite close. If you had concentrated on holding NW base it would have probably been a draw.

I always find it difficult to formulate a plan for HousetoHouse, but what I did right this time is to use my deployables more effectively.

In CTF one does have to add that the last flag run was against Rua alone.

Well that was annoying today - I got dropped from the server at least 6 times today, as well as a complete server crash twice. Things need to stabilize a bit or else this isn't much fun. We had a few good moments today, but lots of frustration as well. Better luck next week perhaps.

[ May 12, 2008, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Junglist ]

Yeah, the crashes were annoying, but the Forsaken round was great. Still, Clay won't talk about Delta Pavonis' hardware, so I'm assuming he's too embarrassed to say it's probably running on an ancient Pentium II or something. redface.gif All I want to say is that I could probably build a better server than DP for under $1500 US dollars.

Well, to look on the bright side, we did manage to avoid the curse of those who play DT on Easter. :eek: Meanwhile, I've finished the list of components for my "DP Destroyer" server, and these are the parts and prices:

</font>

The grand total? $928. Looks like I should have said I could build a better server than Delta Pavonis for under $1000 dollars. And as for a less cumbersome method for voice communication, I'll discuss that in another topic.

Big news! Clay has responded! Here's the full text of his response:

DP is running on a pretty commodity-grade machine:

Pentium 4 CPU at 3GHz

1 gig of RAM

Fedora Core Release 5

hosted at Server67 (an Internet data center with backup power, redundant Internet, etc.)

Hosting DropTeam is pretty simple in terms of hardwire requirements: you don't need a supercomputer to do it.

Sorry for the slow reply, but we're very busy working on the next incarnation of DropTeam. I try to devote as many hours as possible to current development.

It's great to hear that DropTeam's 2nd incarnation is coming, eh? smile.gif

I looked over Server67's website, and it looks like Clay made a typo. I think he meant to say Linux Fedora Core Release 6, because there is no Linux Fedora Core Release 5 on the website. Still, I don't think a P4, 160GB HDD, and 1 GB DDR2 RAM are ideal for all scenarios, but Battlefront had to have had a reason to select these people. One good thing about these people is that you can send your own server to their data center, so my sub-$1000 "DP Destroyer" and sub-$500 TeamSpeak servers could make the big time! :cool:

The specs of the server Battlefront probably is using are listed above, but I just wonder exactly what chassis this 3U form factor server is using. It looks like an iStar USA D-300 series.

Heh heh, thanks Jung. ;) I was just trying to get info from Clay about Delta Pavonis' hardware and he just happened to bring up DT 2 as the reason why he didn't respond earlier. What do you think we'll see in DropTeam 2, besides a graphics face lift? Whatever its graphical demands, I should be able to handle them as an Open Computer from Psystar (the one I mentioned a while back) could be in my future.

Doggonit, WWII is overused. :mad: I had been hoping for a continuation of The Rim storyline. All most people who play Battlefront games will probably have as a first impression is that it's a FPS Theatre of War ripoff, and then they will have nothing to do with it. I'm just hoping DT 2 will become a much improved sequel to our current game.

Originally posted by Junglist:

Wicked news about the future of Dropteam! Thanks for annoying Clay enough to respond 152. Maybe there will be gaming life after my firstborn after all.....still a few months at least.

waiiit a moment...do I interpret this correctly that another gaming Daddy is in the offing? CONGRATULATIONS!

If I misunderstood I blame my current lack of caffeein... :D