Sunday Bloody Sunday VS Black Sabbath

Junglist

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome battles yesterday! We had 3 on 3 for most of the the battles, which was a lot of fun - there is nothing like a bit of teamwork.

Also, it was nice to team up with jby for a change; we always seem to be on opposite sides.

As for Phonan's driving, anyone who complains that a Shrike flips too easy should have seen this guy yesterday during a ctf game on Low Dunes! Jby had captured the opponents flag and I was responsible for recovering our flag, which Phonan had. I swear I chased him around the map for a good 15 minutes without catching/killing him - I even used emp/fire strike twice but managed to miss him?!?!?!? Well done Phonan!

Thanks, Jung and jby- that was a great game. Up against two admittedly superior players, I was kind of desperate. Trying to wrangle the bots did NOT have a good outcome, and we made several failed attempts at pincering the flag.

In a few minutes, jby and Jung killed our attackers and grabbed our flag. I was unhappy. Luckily, right before jby touched our flag to his, I jumped over the ridge in a Shrike, grabbed the flag, and spent the rest of the game running away to cries of "You can't run forever!" I decided this was the only prudent choice, however, seeing as my base was in ruins. I ordered the other bots to attack the enemy flag, but in the end we got a battle in which the enemy came out ahead by 5 or so points. Great job everyone, and all who participated in the games Sunday!

Speaking of DT, I was thinking of us making an in-depth campaign as a community to draw more players, and so we can say that single-player is actually fun! what do you all think?

• 3 weeks later...

As previously mentioned in 152 Dumbrocket's post, 152 and I are teaming up this Sunday to take on a team I'm hoping will be comprised of jby and Stonewall. It would be great if any other players who haven't been on in while dropped in and swelled the ranks a bit, so we could have an old-time team battle. Hope to see you there on Sunday!

Heh, I think I earned myself the "Phonan crazy driving medal with gold wings" yesterday. During that last flag run I felt like YWing Gold in the Death Star trench run. I swear I was mumbling: Stay on target, stay on target,... :D

For those who missed the fun: Stonewall and me vs. Jung and 152mm:

flagruns:

1:0

2:0 very cool. stonewall and me converged on the enemy flag at right angles

2:1

2:2 in which Jung narrowly escapes my intercept run and 152 kills me with a very well placed shot

3:2 2 seconds before the end of the game

RE: dead gulch: Jung, I think we need to rethink our "don´t hide under the bridge" - rule. As the attacker I just can´t help losing bots in the gulch. This is too much of a handicap, especially since the bots like to go in, but it is impossible to get them out again, tragic when the bots are commanding important units.

My suggestion: restrict the rule to infantry, but allow vehicles.

Originally posted by jby

Heh, I think I earned myself the "Phonan crazy driving medal with gold wings" yesterday.

You sure did, jby! I thought the clock would run out before you made it, but it didn't. :(

Originally posted by jby

2:2 in which Jung narrowly escapes my intercept run and 152 kills me with a very well placed shot

Thanks, jby. It's what I do. :cool: Speaking of well placed shots, the reason why your northern attack at Dead Gulch failed was because I was up on the northern hill with a 120 Thor and plenty of ammo, so I had no problem turing your staging area into a shooting gallery. ;)

As for the don't hide under the bridge rule, the revision is just fine by me. Sneak attacks by infantry would have been great, but it would have taken away a good deal of balance in the game.

Wow, it's nice to have you back Phonan! smile.gif

What happened to you? I haven't seen you since the first time I was online. Did something come up?

I have an idea. Jung, as you and jby know, we had some awesome battles last Sunday but we didn't get any players in the games other than you two, myself, and STONEWALL. How about Phonan, yourself and I team up next Sunday and take on jby, STONEWALL, and whoever else wants to come next Sunday. I'll see what I can do on my end to make other players more aware, you can do the same, and we can see the results on Sunday.

Sounds good to me. Also, if it ends up feeling off balance due to a 3 on 2 situation, one player could switch sides to give the other team the advantage for awhile.

Anyone out there who might still be reading this forum should seriously think about joining us for some fun this Sunday. The problem with DropTeam has always been the low number of players to play against, but since we still have a regular time where you will be guaranteed to have some teammates, why not play? (outside the obvious issues around "real-life")

Yeah, jby, I know how you feel. Phonan wasn't around for much of the Low Dunes game because of connection issues, so it was me alone against both of you. :( jby, you did well again at Low Dunes, it looks like my mastery of that map is over! redface.gif On the other hand, Ice Field, The Dam, and Dead Gulch were all ours!

The players and their capabilities around for this Sunday:

Blood:

STONEWALL (Vet)

Phonan (Vet)

Redcon (Vet)

Water:

Jung (Vet)

jby (Vet)

Myself (Semi-vet but I'm on my way!)

Foxbat (Seemed like a vet but I wasn't certain)

On Ice Field, Phonan and Redcon broke out infantry and caused some real trouble, but Jung and I took care of them and we got enough units into the base to secure victory.

They stuck with them at The Dam round, and we had our hands full trying to watch our backs, but our strategy worked. Jung and the others went to capture the NE base, while I distracted the opposition at the dam long enough to make the plan work. From there its was non-stop. Redcon and Phonan continued to use infantry and we still had our hands full, but we stopped the little men menace. Phonan tried to sneak in on the dam from the SE with a Shrike, but I spotted him and warned jby. tongue.gif

At Dead Gulch, it was another hard-fought round. I deployed the engineer infantry and captured the W ion tower and SW missile tower. From there its turned into a slugging match where STONEWALL employed my trick from last week with 120mm Thor on top of the N hill, but although he killed a lot of units, I got 2 solid shots into him and Jung finished him off a few minutes later. Many a compliment was given to me about my aim in just about every round I played, and I just want to say thanks, it's what I do, and when are we going to come out with a "152 sniper scope with range-finder marksmanship medal"? :D

Another thing I liked about today was the amount of chatter we had. It really helped win the day and made the game that much more enjoyable. With the use of push-to talk, we warned each other of danger, traded plans, complimented each other, and made witty remarks. For example:

I was at Dead Gulch, just as the deployment phase was ending, and Jung, judging by his pessimism, thought I was trying to drop a cutter. My response?

"Yes Jung, but that's what infantry are for."

Just goes to show you what happens when 7 players manage to show up-the result is always a good time!

One last thing-could someone ask Clay to update the replay server so we can see these awesome battles again?

Wow, I actually showed up on the Low Dunes game? I was playing on my iMac for most of the games, and I decided to check back after I left. When it turned out there were 3 people on, I tried to join on my Linux computer, but alas something there is quite messed up. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but my computer would freeze at "caching objects." When I turned off caching, my box froze right after loading. Ctrl-alt-delete even failed me, so I gave up. I'll try running update and troubleshooting- I'd like things to work out on that computer.