Sunday Bloody Sunday VS Black Sabbath

Junglist

Originally posted by Redcon-5:

Having only a handful of infantry at my disposal against two Thor’s I hunkered down behind the rocks just outside the lava pool. Ordering my two other troops hold fast and not fire I waited, watching the two heavy Thor trudge toward me there was only one chance to stop them from scoring. The last rock before the ramp gave me the best shot and as Phonan’s Thor rumbled past I fired AT grenade from under 50 meters. One sneaky grunt can ruin everything.

That was a beautiful piece of placement. I had my celebratory beer ready to toast Phonan's run in to the flag and end up crying into my pint.

Slug Fest was all jby. Like my companion I was lead to a relaxing calm when no more dropships fell. That soon turned to panic as more drop pods then I could count fell on to the base. I believe my gun tube would have been white hot by end of that game.

The "turret storm" is a great way to seize an objective. Used at the right time it can be devastating. In this case, it was my only remaining tactic with all the Dropships destroyed. Had you had one surviving EWV or Galaxy on hand, it wouldn't have been an option. Thankfully for me, there wasn't one present before the first AA turret hit the ground :)

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rua'anith:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redcon-5:

The last exchange of note was a infantry fire fight for the northern bridge head between Rua’anith and Recon.

That was rather sneaky with the infantry at the north bridge head! :D </font>

OK quick AAR from this past Sunday.

IT WAS FRICKEN AWSOME!!

Some great games on Sunday, quite the cast played (or tried to, poesel was having some connection issues, and so was somebody else but I cant remember). It was great having that many online and so few problems. Yes there were a couple of glitches with sound from team chat, but lag free for the most part, atleast for me.

At one point there was a five-on-four, or was it a 5-v-5?

the maps,

I belive the fight realy started to build at desert mesa. Jung ,Nexus, and I held the base against jby,Phonan, and bbolye. The fight was one sided as about half way through the attacking bots joined a union and stopped for their manditory half-hour lunch smile.gif

Next was Boiling point were stiff defences on but sides prevented a flag capture for either side.

Slug fest was a rough fight that ranged over more of the map that I can remember any other fight. But it was a defenders victory in the end.

There was one more map that I started on but sadly could not finish.

The fight was one sided as about half way through the attacking bots joined a union and stopped for their manditory half-hour lunch smile.gif

Gah, don´t remind me, well they (the bots) are now enjoying the spice mines of Kessel!) :mad:

Despite offering several approaches to the objective, I think a massed attack is the only real option in this map. It is simply too easy for single (human) defenders to pin down small groups of attackers.

On slugfest we (the attackers) were sort of in disagreement on which way to attack. Unfortunatley both our initial attacks were covered by AA. a known unknown, but a bit of bad luck that both groups got completely vaped. still, our maneuvering battle in the SW of the map at the end was very WWIIish,lots of fun. Except for one moment were I had Nexus´ turret side in my sights and the round bounced off :mad: :mad: :mad: , 1 in 99% chance that that should have happened, but thats war for you.

There was one more map that I started on but sadly could not finish.

That was CTF on St.Pauls, lots of fun, I got close to your flag twice, while BBoyle and Rua held the fort. Phonan´s viper was plucking away my bot tanks again :mad: , but the next time my autogun was expecting him smile.gif

That last firefight for our base on St. Paul's was pretty awesome....basically it was Stonewall on the hill to the north, phonan (I think) to the south and poesel pressing in from the west with Rua' and I in the middle zigging, zagging and slinging rounds like crazy. In such dire circumstances I'll take a Thor everytime....

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

On slugfest we (the attackers) were sort of in disagreement on which way to attack. Unfortunatley both our initial attacks were covered by AA. a known unknown, but a bit of bad luck that both groups got completely vaped. still, our maneuvering battle in the SW of the map at the end was very WWIIish,lots of fun. Except for one moment were I had Nexus´ turret side in my sights and the round bounced off :mad: :mad: :mad: , 1 in 99% chance that that should have happened, but thats war for you.

Ah - that would be my tinfoil hat working again :D

Originally posted by bboyle:

That last firefight for our base on St. Paul's was pretty awesome....basically it was Stonewall on the hill to the north, phonan (I think) to the south and poesel pressing in from the west with Rua' and I in the middle zigging, zagging and slinging rounds like crazy. In such dire circumstances I'll take a Thor everytime....

Yes that was awesome. I got a kill from 7400ish meters on Phonan!

I pulled off being sneaky on STONEWALL while he was in those moutains. Caught him from behind with 1 120 AP round.

Originally posted by rua'anith:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bboyle:

Yes that was awesome. I got a kill from 7400ish meters on Phonan!

I pulled off being sneaky on STONEWALL while he was in those moutains. Caught him from behind with 1 120 AP round. </font>

Man that was really fun and hectic. I was attacking the main base, while dodging fire from both them and Ruaanith in a flanking position on the mountain. I tried to keep moving, but eventually my luck ran out. There's really nothing more fun than sniping a Thor and blowing up its turret from 7000+ meters with a 120mm HEAT round.

Originally posted by Phonan:

Man that was really fun and hectic. I was attacking the main base, while dodging fire from both them and Ruaanith in a flanking position on the mountain. I tried to keep moving, but eventually my luck ran out. There's really nothing more fun than sniping a Thor and blowing up its turret from 7000+ meters with a 120mm HEAT round.

You kept popping up behind me....in real life I would have had whiplash from tearing my turret around 360 degrees every five seconds.

And another Sunday with excellent games. I really don't know why we don't have more players.

First game was Recon In Force. I came late and helped Jung defend vs jby and bboyle (and later Stonewall IIRC). Jung had laid a nice mine pattern so I spent the day defending SE. Mostly gritty HEAT shelling but we held out to the end.

Price for most obnoxius player goes to bboyle in his Thor-IC.

Second game was Haven CTF (same players). This was quite exciting.

We were setup defensely in the SE base. I went for some scouting to the west with a Shrike only to run in the full fledged attack. bboyle managed to survive 5(!) ATGM top hits in his Thor. Without ammo I left and started a counter attack to the north. Again with a Shrike I blasted some turrets, took over a Thor bot which had followed me. More turret blasting until I had the attention of bboyle and Stonewall. Scrap one Thor.

Meanwhile Jung had directed two Thors and a Hermes also to the north. Rinse and repeat: another attack from the west. After some heavy fighting and the group perished I wasn't sure what was left. Took another Shrike only to find the flag undefended. A quick grab and run and I was off to the south. Unfortunatly jby had meanwhile got our flag.

Then ensured the battle for the flags. I lost theirs three times (and won it back) and I lost track how often our flag was lost. Notably from my side was a race between an Apollo (me) and bboyle Thor MC for our flag. I beat him by 2 seconds. He kept shooting so I knew I had 30 seconds to kill him and get away before the shells begin to fall. smile.gif

Nearly got away but had an engine damage (and was killed later by bboyle).

Unfortunatly the enemy had the upper hand now but we kept fighting for every square inch and managed to hold on to the enemy flag to the end. We lost points wise because of (his words) Jungs soviet style of troop use. smile.gif

jby generously offered us a draw which we accepted. ;)

bboyle and Stonewall left and I defected to the other side. Now it was the mountainous ice map (forgot the name). jby used his natural home bonus on snowy mountains and we continually clawed away Jungs defenses. He did very well and only lost in the last minute of the game. Again very, very good heavy tank fights.

Hope to shell you next Sunday.

Had some great games today. All told, I think I played six games. Definitely enjoyed the ones where I was teamed up with poesel - before he defected to the German speaking alliance with jby, that is.

One game on the Raid map where I was working with bboyle also stands out as having been pretty fun; maybe I just have a soft spot for that map from the beta testing days.

jby: One day soon we should maybe play on the same team and work together. We always seem to be on opposite sides lately; resulting in many good battles, no doubt, but I couldn't help getting this creepy feeling today that you were out to get me. :D

I hereby claim the prize for most obnoxious ion wielder....I was experimenting today on the maps with a wide field of vision using the Thor IC to shred paladins, shrikes and other softish targets. I am betting that 'most obnoxious' means it worked pretty well. I also bagged four or five Thors that way over two games. Getting under the southeast point defense tower on the Raid map was almost unfair.

My favorite moment in Haven CTF that poesel mentions above was killing Jung's last infantry man at distance with 20mm while he was jetting about 100 meters off the deck. It only took about 50 rounds to get him....

[ August 26, 2007, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: bboyle ]

Raid started 1on1 against Jung, this is difficult in any case, when bboyle entered it became impossible, but I did try out a few tactics, the "hanging around the enemy base at medium distance" worked quite well (copied from Jung btw), the 76mm Paladin charge from the east floundered on the rocks, too difficult for the bots to maneuver (plus being attacked by BB from the flank)

CTF me, Stonewall and BBoyle vs Jung and Poesel: lots of fun, we left our base defence to the bots and turrets and went for the flag. Some quite cool maneuvering of Stonewall and me sneaking up to the enemy base with EMWs. In the end we snatched each others flags, and I must complement Poesel (flag carrier) on surviving. Probably we should have played less risk averse with 2 of us going afetr poesel.. I wish I had a film of one moment...Jung had killed my flag carrying Paladin and I dropped right in again. While I was dropping in, 2 enemy dropships dropped in really close. During this descent both enemy DS were killed by cobra missiles, very cool to watch. We "won" on points, but as stated earlier, only flag capturing counts in CTF for me.

Poesel and me took Jung´s Alpenfestung with a mighty armored pincer movement. It was pretty cruel, but not crueler than my defeat against BB and Jung on raid ;):D

Yeah, lets play together next time Jung! Oh, our poor enemies :D

It was the loss of those last two dropships on the Haven CTF game that crippled us, resulting in my use of infantry to disable or destroy the flag carrier as many times as possible - which was kind of fun anyway. As far as CTF goes, this was one of the most intense such games I've ever played and was unusually entertaining. Especially considering nobody even captured a flag, although I will say you guys did get the minor victory on points.

[ August 27, 2007, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Junglist ]

After trying to make a torrent and failing :(

(sorry Poesel for pestering you about this)

I managed to put the film of the most exciting part of yesterday´s CTF online as a rar file (unpack with winrar or something similar)

(this was necessary because avi is not allowed on free webspace :rolleyes:

voila:

http://jby.uttx.net/dtctffilm.rar

short AAR:

i placed a "road" of jammers to the enemy falg and slowly approached with my thor, surprising both Poesel and Nexus (it can be done!). After capturing the flag Phonan plucked my thor and flag and flew off to our flag. nexus managed to grab our flag just in time and...see the movie

what happened next smile.gif

later in the game there was a wonderful chase: nexus with our flag pursued by jung and me...it was like a nature film where little bambi is chased by a pack of wolves :D

A draw in the end, but definitely one of the best CTF games ever.