Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Graphics cards

Hi,

Can anyone give me a list of PCI graphics cards and their suppliers? I just bought a Geforce2 32mb Pro AGP and the damned thing doesn't fit into the slot 'cause its PCI! I want a card that will work/fit and support smoke,fog, and the like! Please help me, my stupidity and frusration are overwelming!My system is a HP XE744 (733mhz and running windows ME).

Thanx,

Jake

Guillemot/Hercules makes the 3D Prophet II MX PCI which is GeForce2 MX for PCI. Creative Labs makes a 3D Blaster GeForce2 MX PCI. Elsa offers the Gladiac511 PCI which is a high-performance (so they claim) PCI GeForce2 MX with two VGA connectors and TV out. I haven't checked out the prices, though I'd guess that the Elsa is probably the most expensive of the bunch.

There are other PCI cards out there, but it seems like the GeForce2 MX is currently the hottest chip for the PCI bus.

Thanx,

Now can you guys point me in the right direction to purchase one of these puppy's?

I'm really haveing a hard time finding a place that sells that graphics card! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx,

Jake

I had a hard time finding the Hercules pci stuff(way, way, back ordered). I got a Pine Technologies PCI card from Tigerdirect.com (although ya can fine then everywhere) for about 75+ shipping. It does fog and all that stuff(its new so I can't say more)cause its got the Nvidia chip and all.

Guest ckoharik

Have you tried www.pricewatch.com ? Good site for finding good prices and vendors.

Speaking of grpahics cards, I'm finally due home this evening so I can finally get my grubby hands on the new VisionTek GeForce3 card that has been sitting there for a few days now. Muahahahahaha!

(Sorry, couldn't help but gloat. And yes, I know not much will take advantage of it, but I want to see if 1600x1200 @ 4xFSAA will run smooth.)

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Boxb ]

Now, can you guys tell me if a PCI cards bus connectors (the male end that you put into the female end of the Port) is one small section followed by a larger section? The Geforce2 AGP was three male ends about a inch long towards the front of the G-card.

My slot(----- ------------)and the Geforce2 AGP(---- ---- ----). Sorry if thats confusing but I really can't do any better, any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Much thanx,

Jake

Yes, what you indicated for the bus connection is correct. Although a number of AGP cards don't have the first 'cut' (starting from the backplane). You'll also notice that AGP connections start approx. 2 3/4" from the backplane while the PCI ones start approx. 1 3/4" from the backplane. Another examination of the actual connectors on the connection and you'll see that the "pins" for the PCI are straight down and all are the same size, while the AGP has an alternating scheme of thick and thin on two levels (to double the density of connections).

One thing to be wary of when checking out prices on Pricewatch is that some vendors don't have stock even though they claim that they do. Also you may want to double check the shipping and handling costs (if there is any way of finding out the cost before ordering) since some vendors attempt to get their profit margin from it.

Guest ckoharik

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:

How about a couple screen shots with and without the anti-alias for comparison (for the rest of us who'll have to wait a few more months before taking the GF3 plunge)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, maybe. If I'm feeling up to it. I'm home, it's early in the morning, and I have a GeForce3 sitting next to me. Time to go installin!

[EDIT: Holy crap! Installed, first demos run...OMG!]

[uPDATE: Having serious problems with the card and CM. Totally scrambling text (constantly changing). On the positive side, 1600x1200 w/ 4xFSAA looks sweet! Will keep working on it.]

[uPDATE: I've run smack dab into the fubar'd text issue with Geforce cards and Windows 2K. So far all my attempts to correct the issue have failed. As a note, this is the *only* game that I have had problems with under 2K. Anyone have any ideas?]

[ 05-13-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Boxb ]

Guest ckoharik

Just a quick update. GeForce3 card is in with latest and greatest Detonator drivers (12.20) and still no luck. Text is either completely missing or totaly scrambled depending upon whether AA is enabled. *sigh* Figures. Of course, I haven't tried it under Win98 but I assume it's the old CM/NVidia/Win2K issue that isn't going away any time soon.