Smart-Mines...

Jack Carr

I experienced a bit of frustration in a game last night. A teammate had peppered the surrounding area of our base/flagstation with mines. And I mean peppered! There was only one area in and out that could be traversed safely.

I didn't even realize that the mines had been dumped and the foliage hid them rather effectively. Needless to say I lost a few vehicles before I figured out what was going on.

The worst part was when I was coming in with the enemy flag, and couldn't get into my own base because it had been ringed with mines.

Being that this is futuristic combat, I started thinking that maybe there could be a way for the mines to only work against enemy vehicles and not friendly. A smart-mine that could read a vehicle signature and determine whether or not to detonate. It sounded futuristic to me and I thought I would throw it out as an idea.

Any thoughts? Fire away all!

Well, in retrospect, I was the dumby for continuing to run over them. To top it off, I was even more foolish to get caught with the enemy flag in an area where I couldn't return it to get 100 points for my team.

Anyway, I thought the idea for smart-mines was an interesting one and worthy of a thread for discussion.

Originally posted by yurch:

Well, the unfortunate aspect of a smart mine is that it will encourage usage of them in the more valuable high-traffic areas.

Try taking the Ice Fields base away from defenders now, eh?

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps the simplest option would be to have allied mines appear on the map or make them more obvious on the game screen to the team that layed them.

I know I've had troubles using mines, because I don't actually know how big of an area they cover.

the area depends on the terrain, hilly terrains tend to have small compacted patches whereas flat land show widespread patches quite easy to drive throught

actually mine dispensers could be set in two options: narrow long stripe or wide short stripe, is it too much to introduce the option?

and what about some mines on 20 mm vehicles now that secondary weapons will be implemented?

I do agree that i would be very usefull to have them displayed on the tac visual

Originally posted by Jalinth:

Perhaps the simplest option would be to have allied mines appear on the map or make them more obvious on the game screen to the team that layed them.

I know I've had troubles using mines, because I don't actually know how big of an area they cover.

I like that idea.