Antimatter and combustion?

dan/california

This is a somewhat silly question, but if the vehicles are antimatter powered wouldn't they either have an advanced antimatter to electricity conversion system or if the liveships have lost that ability, then a very compact steam turbine? A combustion engine with an anti matter power source makes no sense.

I was looking at the schematics trying to figure out why paladins take me five rounds to kill with a 120mm gun and that part of the description really jarred me. :D

We did a huge thread on this initially.

I'm still of the opinion that putting Antimatter drives on ground combat vehicles is like making a phased array, nuclear powered fly-swatter...

I think at one point they were saying superefficient flywheels power the ground vehicles.

I wouldn't bother putting high-tech antimatter propulsion on a combat vehicle if something simpler and cheaper would work. I'd save the antimatter for bases, mobile factories and such...

Take a look at the older threads, I'm sure you can find some interesting discussions.

Clearly you guys have no experience with the common 4-cycle antimatter combustion engines ubiqiutous in our future history. Everyone in the know realizes that these engines are remarkably similar to today's internal combustion engines except that in lieu of a fuel-air mixture being ignited by a sprak plug, or by pressue in the case of a diesel engine, 4-cycle antimatter engines suck air into a cylinder - matter - then inject a small quantity of antimatter into the cylinder causing a violent explosion, the energy from which forces the cylinder down and rotates a crankshaft.

This explains why the antimatter engines of many of the DropTeam vehicles tend to sound very similar to today's internal combustion engines.

Personally, I'm a little worried about greenhouse gas emissions. If they are modelled, what kind of damage are they doing to all the atmospheres of the different moons and planets? :confused:

If they aren't modelled, well, that's a severe blow to the game's claims of accuracy.

I was thinking super-advanced fuel cells (hydrogen-oxygen version) for the vehicles, and antimatter for the Liveships, space stations, and the OGRE.

The storyline gives the impression Clan Hartford and Taggert are both in desparate shape. All do-or-die battles with no margin for failure.

Although Clan Taggert seems wealthier since they're throwing all those MBTs at the player. LOL