Dropships

Gen. Lee Annoying

Good day gentlemen I would just like to say how excited I am about your project and eagerly await every bit of news. My main question to you would be whether the dropships are actually playable by the player? And if so will it actually be posible to arm them within the game.I'm having fantasies about contedted landng with an armed dropship...... lol...... Well good luck and hopefully we'll hear alot more from you in the future. :D

Hi, General. Yes, there are playable dropships in the game that you can manually control, as well as AI controlled dropships.

Whether or not the player-controlled dropships should be armed is a hot topic of debate in beta testing. All of the code and artwork is already in place for it, but we're leaning toward "no" because the game's emphasis is on tactical ground combat.

See the background story and units pages for an explanation of how dropship armaments have evolved into their current state.

The background was what led me to ask the question as the possability to add custom armamaments made me tingly inside. Aside from that I wouldn't suggest turning them into gunships just that they be able to fend for themselves till they can drop and run. I love playing the transport/evac pilot and having enough firepower to keep peoples heads down can make a real difference if you need to drop into a hevily defended area. Just MHO feel free to completly disregard it.....lol ..... damn whewre did those two cents go?

Wow you think about this stuff alot... how do you have any time left for games? Personally I belive if you explain everything to the molecule you are overlooking the experiance that a game must promote in order to be entertaining....... does it really matter (no pun intended) what reaction promotes power generation within a power cell other then to realize that hitting it could cause an unfavourable reaction..... in MHO this is a tactical simulation not a molecular mecahnics simulation....... I understand I may have a simplified vision but I have yet to study physics at a university level and as such have a hard time seeing how it will truly have an effect on gameplay?

Signed

Model Rocket Scientist

lol.....

P.S. the bottom line is fun other wise it's to much like work and man I wish I could kick that particluar habbit....... tongue.gif

You don't need to understand particle physics, to understand a few things about gaming mechanics.

The one that so many people have a hard time with, is BALANCE... The reason BALANCE is so hard to achieve so many times, is because instead of having a set of ground rules to base everything off of, they try to make up everything on the fly, as they go along.

The better you have your base rules set down, the easier it is to achieve "Balance" in a game. To the point that, if your rules are specific enough, even players can design units for the game, without fear of disturbing the "Mystical Balance" of the game...

That is why this IS a big deal.

Some day young grasshopper, you will understand...

A good example of this is Battlefield 2. They have Engineer units, and Special Ops units in that game, because Armor was "Too Powerful" they gave them both the ability to kill armor.

In effect, both are more powerful against vehicles than the supposed "Anti-Tank" infantry in the game.

Terrible balance. Of course, their answer will be "Patch It." Or they'll just leave it lame like it is now. Who knows? But fundamentally, they didn't set down a base set of rules, or have a good understanding of what the hell they were doing.

I know that's a totally different game from this, but a good example of people making things up on the fly, because they felt it provided "A Good Gaming Experience" rather than being in any way realistic. They ended up being neither balanced, nor presenting an exceptional gaming experience.

If they did, they would KNOW, that infantry in a city environment will CHEW UP any vehicles that aren't closely supported with infantry. But the weapons available to the infantry are poorly modelled, so it is an utterly unrealistic game, even though it looks cool.

And if I seem "Into This" that's because the military--past, present, and future, isn't just my hobby. It's my life, and my job.

[ August 05, 2005, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Caseck ]

I agree that balance is lost on many, most of the time to create balance devlopers resort to carbon copy factions from one to another as I'm sure you've noted in those other games....lol...... For once I would like a developer to to truly offer different factions with different strengths and weaknesses not just hover vehicles that go head to head against tracked vehicles that all perform the same....... I seriously doubt an Mi-28 handles much like a Cobra.......... I'm not suggsting resorting to the the infamous rock papaer scissors garbage which honestly is far too formulated to be entertaining but more along the line of specialties that can bring overmatch against an enemy factions weakness but also esposes ones self to said factions strength if not properly orchestrated. For example one faction may have superior mobility and first shot lethality which sounds near impossible to stop but the cost of mobility is reduced armour and a nightmarish supply line. They may be able to project power far but lack the ability to go toe to toe against a well orchestrated defence that isloates them from their supply lines or denies them the opportunity to exploit their mobility advantage. On the flipside the enemy faction may have the ability to exploit minefeilds and fixed defences to control the batle space and limit mobility at the locations they choose. I understand my veiws of military tactics may be flawed and feel free to correct me but a game that offers asymetric balance although very difficult to accomplish would offer players a more rewarding experience then a offensive that just degenerates into a toe to toe fist fight of attrition. I understand that in the end it is the player who will decide how he uses his units and whether they actullay exploit them to their fullest but I'd at least like to have the diversity to explore the options.

Signed Grass Hopper

HEHEHE

I think you're on the right track.

Of course, the ability to customize your vehicles to a great extent, means recon and intelligence becomes much more important. Figuring out what your opponent is capable of, and the ability to vary from battle to battle, making each one a unique experience.

You my friend are wise and knowledgeable....... lol

I take back all the nasty things I was thinking.......

Far to often in games are you forced to act with out having the time to properly access a situation I guess alot of that has to due with the limited size of the maps in most games which don't allow enough soace for true manouvering and use of proper recon screens as well a feints.... with any luck the large maps will lend it self to the more intelligent gamplay I think most of us crave....