Old Fudd dissents

Brujay

I suppose I'm in a distinct minority here, well out of adolescence (and I mean WELL out). I thought heaven had descended to Earth when the Combat Mission series came out. A remarkable game engine applied to well researched historical warfare. I love the three games and play them all the time, especially CMBO and CMAK. Now I see you're wasting all that superb talent on sci-fi nonsense. One of the beauties of the CM series is that the gamer not only has fun, but he learns something about history. Sci-fi teaches you nothing but how to pick your pimples. Why couldn't Battlefront turn its genius to even more historical stuff--the Pacific War, Korea, Vietnam, or the Civil War, the Napoleonic Wars? I guess I know the answer: follow the money.

1) DropTeam is marketed by Battlefront, but produced by TBG software.

2) Sci-fi has the potential to teach you about science.

3) Sci-fi based on real-world physics can teach you about tactics just as well as historical games

4) Well lurked

5) Follow the money? As in BF.C have sold out? Hahahahahahaha! They've got to survive until CMX2 comes out. Camouflage uniforms and nutrient fluids cost money you know.

Hello Brujay, "follow the money"... nothing could be further from the truth.

First of all, Battlefront is not developing this game, we're the publisher and only supporting development when we have enough resources and time. Our main development focus is and remains on the new CMX2 engine.

Secondly, you are judging Sci-Fi by what other publishers have made so far. Med packs, health bars... when the guys from TBG approached us with their idea of a "realistic" SCIENCE-fiction game which applies real world physics as much as possible to future combat scenarios, we were immediately thrilled. This is a "thinking man's" game, not arcade action for pimple-faced teenagers ;)

Thirdly, if at all, this unique project means more financial risk than following the click&clone-crowd on their path to make so many WW2 games that when you'd stack the boxes on top of each other you could climb up to the moon.

Dropteam will not be teaching history, but will teach players genuine team tactics at least as much as CM does, and will explore some very interesting what-if settings... how do you fight on a low gravo planet? Or in high atmospheric density? Or...

These might not be as interesting to you personally as other historical setttings perhaps, but that's ok. We want to offer a variety of intelligent and GOOD games from Battlefront, and when you look at what we got so far, there should be something for everybody. Soon, we will announce a new insanely accurate historical wargame in the best tradition of CM (I am not talking about the new CM engine itself), so rest assured that there is plenty of talent to go round behind Battlefront.com smile.gif

Martin

Aha! Some bone dropping in this remote and not so frequented place. "In the best tradition of CM" sounds interesting, does that only pertain to the insane historical accuracy?

I look forward to Drop Team anyhow. Let's hope the modding allows some interesting platforms and weapons/sensors to put on them. Fighting in odd places should be as much about tactics as about technology.

I would like to make three points.

1. Extremely close simulations of histoical warfare can be utterly facinating and I irritate my wife to the edge of reason playing them.

2. I will pay full retail for dropteam todady! I mean right now, for the priveledge of being a beta tester. The games basic premise of fudamentally well reasoned vehicle performance, ability to have upload maps in a standard existing format, and the prospect of battlefield 2 style team communications, hopefully between somewhat intillegent adults mostly could make the most fun it is possible to talk about in a pg13 enviorment.

It seems BF.C has a pretty well established beta team which I'm sadly not a part of. Having a good beta team in itself is great though.

And don't be sorry for the three becoming a two. They look remotely alike and both start with t ... ;)

• 2 months later...

Secondly, you are judging Sci-Fi by what other publishers have made so far. Med packs, health bars...

Hey now. There are plenty of historic smelling games that have med packs, health bars and whatnot.

For many games I think it's not so much "sci-fi" or "historical" as it's "Do we make it ALL up?" or "Do we rip the names and appearances out of books?".