Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

No sound during TCP/IP games

I have no sound probs when I play CM in the one player mode, however when I play over the net I lose all sound as soon as the games connect and start uploading scenario information. I'm only running the on-board sound one my MSI K7T Pro 2 mobo - would a separate sound card help?

Also, does anyone know if there are any plans to allow play via a direct dial-up modem option so that you don't have to go through the internet to play people who live locally?

Thanx

[ 05-31-2001: Message edited by: oskacat ]

As an initial guess, I'd say that your on-board sound may be sharing an IRQ with your modem (if it is a PCI software-based modem). The only way to avoid this is to move the modem to a different PCI slot since the on-board sound will almost always use a particular PCI slot's IRQ. However this may cause you quite a bit of grief with reinstalling the modem driver and possibly reconfiguring all sorts of dial up/Internet options.

A separate PCI (or ISA) sound card could also solve this problem, but pretty much in the same manner as the above - it could use another IRQ (and the drivers may interact differently with the modem). So purchasing a separate sound card isn't going to guarantee a quick fix, but it may.

Your motherboard uses a external codec in addition to the chipset for sound support. I'm not sure where to get the latest drivers for the codec on your motherboard (they're sometimes hard to get, other than from the motherboard manufacturer).

As for a direct dial-up option, I don't think that is in the cards for CM2. If you live in an area that supports a 56K standard for your modem, then you will be able to hook up at a higher speed through an ISP (which could support a 56K connection) than you could directly, which would be limited to 33K. Of course the Internet and TCP/IP impose their own overhead in transferring data, so the relative data transfer speeds could possibly come out equal.

[ 05-31-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]