Needing help with the T-34 gunsite

Baghr

Hello all.

I am having some troubles figuring out how to effectively use the manual range entry scale for either the HE or armor-piercing rounds on the T-34 gunsite. I have read through the manual but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get an accurate 1st (2nd or 3rd) shot if over the "point and shoot" range. I understand the variable estimatation gauge, but not the others.

Any tips by some old pros in this area would be appreciated.

I am in my first week with the sim after just finding it on another website. so far I really enjoy it but just cant get the darn gunsite figured out.

Hi Baghr,

I assume you are aware that you hit the "Ctrl W" keys to active the manual range entry option for the tank's gun sight. Additonally, I assume that you are aware that you use the "U" key to raise elevation, and the "I" key to decrease elevation in the gun barrel when in manual range entry mode. The BPS round (kinetic energy penetrator) scale is at the far upper left, OFS round (HE Fragmentation) scale is top center-ish, and the BPS round (HE Anti-Tank) scale is upper right on the gunner's sight. When you active the manual range entry by hitting the Ctrl and W keys and raise the main gun barrel elevation using the U key you will notice that a horizontal line with a diamond shape in the center of the gunner's sight will raise up over the different projectile scales on the upper half of the gunner's sight. Where the horizontal line crosses the range scales indicates the range that the different types of rounds will fly at that particular gun barrel elevation. For the coaxial machine gun I use the BPS range scale. Does this answer your question about interpretting and using the manual range scales?

Regarding accurate 1st, 2nd, 3rd shots... this requires experience as a gunner. All of the T-34's projectiles have a pretty pronouced flight arch because they are relatively slow moving. Because of this you will need to accurately set the range using the range scales to get an accurate 1st shot. Additionally, you will need to take into account whether your tank is on a perfectly flat surface, or if your tank on an inclined plain. If the surface you are on is not flat, but rather canted - say for instance you are on a hill side then you will have to aim well enough to the right or left of you target to account for the altered trajectory that you shot will take. Generally you will not get an accurate first shot with the T-34's 85mm gun at long range because your target may be travelling too fast. Also, when using HE Frag rounds on infantry in the open, the 85mm HE Frag rounds need to be very close to have effect on infantry in the prone position. There is not as much shock and shrapnel from the 85mm HE Frag round as there is from a 100mm or 125mm shell of the same type. The T-34's coaxial machine gun however, is very effective at 1000 meters and beyond, so adjust that weapon onto target when dealing with infantry at long ranges. Try to avoid infantry at close range with the T-34 or T-55 because the RPG-7 is pretty effective against these tanks. I hope this helps!

Mortarman Deke

Thanks MD,

It appears even though I did read about this info, I overlooked it until you mentioned something about the "diamond" moving up and down, which I had not done. I originally thought it was talking about barrel movement and paid no attention to it.

This appears to have been the problem, which should help out my marksmanship greatly, as opposed to the "Kentucky Windage" method I was previously using.

Thanks again, and never assume you are being to basic with a newbie!

Edited for typos....

Baghr