CMAK bad, BAD graphics problem on Mac

I began playing the Frühlingswind scenario and got up to about turn 11 and began to notice that the camera movement was starting to get a bit jerky. On turn 12 it got very jerky and slow. Cursor movement did too. When I hit go, it took an awful long time to process the move, like about three minutes, which seems a lot for what is a middling-sized scenario. Trying to to navigate during the order phase of turn 13 has become well-nigh impossible, the cursor has become essentially unmanageable, it moves so jerkily I can't predict where it will end up.

I've tried increasing memory allotment to CM and that doesn't help. I also tried removing the one small mod I had installed, though I really doubted that would do anything. It didn't. I tried turning down all the visual goodies and that had no noticable effect.

One thing that was really, really odd: in trying some of this stuff I would quit the game and then go back to it to see if the changes I had made did anything, and I noticed that each time I re-launched, the game got slower and jerkier. Offhand, I can't think of a logical reason for all this. I should mention that CM is the only app in which this problem occurs, but I don't think any of my other apps need 3D rendering if that's any clue. I'm not running or have open any other apps in background. It has me truly baffled.

Something like this happened in BB last spring and I had to quit playing CM because it went beyond mere annoyance. This time it's even worse and I am truly bummed out because I was really looking forward to playing AK.

Mac G4 733, 512MB, GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128MB.

Anybody know where I can get some fresh chicken blood?

:(

Michael

Not that I've noticed.

Since my first post, I went back and did some more systematic testing and I may have found the problem, or at least a partial solution. I think the biggest killer of framerate is the terrain features (Shift-N). Turning that down to sparse gets framerate back up to an acceptable level. Still not as smooth as I would like, but it's back to playable again. Nothing else seems to effect it noticably. I've pulled the horizon back to 1000 meters since I don't really need it anyway. And I usually play with trees off most of the time anyway, but had them on in this scenario because it looked so good and it didn't seem to matter, but I've cut them back to sparse too, just in case it helps.

The thing that's curious is why this should get progressively worse as the game goes on. My guess always has been that as more and more of the enemy units are revealed, my card has more and more to keep track of. I'm wondering if switching to lower rez mods on vehicles and uniforms would help that.

And it's still taking more than two minutes for the computer to process the turn. I guess that with so many tanks firing it has a lot of trajectories to work out.

If anything else turns up relating to this issue, I'll report it.

Michael

The suggested amount of memory assigned to CMAK Demo application is 77400K . I've upped mine to a preferred whopping 152800K after an initial minor glitch with the interface graphics. Also virtual memory Off (memory control panel) on my G4 450 Dual with 512mb - 32mb ATI Radeon.

If after you've tried similar settings and it's still wonky, then I'd suspect there's something fishy going on with Nvidia card/drivers.

PS. It was suggested I redownload the CMAK_Demo.sit.bin file (94.1mb (98,706,432 bytes - Created Wed Nov 19 2003 6.26pm) and reinstalling. Can you confirm by Apple "i"ng the file what you've got as a comparison.

Cheers

[ November 24, 2003, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Originally posted by Wicky:

The suggested amount of memory assigned to CMAK Demo application is 77400K . I've upped mine to a preferred whopping 152800K after an initial minor glitch with the interface graphics. Also virtual memory Off ...

I tried 128000k and it didn't seem to help, so I set it back to 77400k. I might push it back up though just on general principles.

...then I'd suspect there's something fishy going on with Nvidia card/drivers.
Oh, there's definitely something more than a little fishy about nVidia drivers. That's been known for a while now. Since they seem entirely disinclined to do anything about them, it's up to users like myself to find work arounds.

PS. It was suggested I redownload the CMAK_Demo.sit.bin file (94.1mb (98,706,432 bytes - Created Wed Nov 19 2003 6.26pm) and reinstalling. Can you confirm by Apple "i"ng the file what you've got as a comparison.
I've got the version created on Sunday the 16th. Who made the suggestion and what was it supposed to accomplish?

Michael

Additional: I just spent an hour and a half playing with no major problems. It really seems to be doodads that are creating the hangup, or more accurately doodads plus anything above a very nominal unit count. When I get the full version, I will put together a QB with a very small number of units but with all visuals turned all the way up and see how that plays.

Oh, and there was no sign of my card overheating. I would have been surprised if there had since it has its own onboard fan.

Michael