Just d\l the 1.3 demo for my new rig:

-Athlon 3000+

-MSI X1600 Pro - 256MB

-1 GB OCZ Premier DC Ram

-DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D

-XP with SP 2

-Saitek X45 throttle and stick

-ATI 6.5 reference drivers

Tried the demo and it runs pretty fast on the highest settings at 1024x768, 2X AA, 8X AF, but the water (when fording) acts funny. It looks ok (like a silvery oil slick actually), but it moves veeery slowly, even though the rest of the action is fairly fluid.

Also, when firing in gunner view (F6), the dust cloud brings the frame rate to a crawl. Is this the case in the final version? What settings can I adjust to increase the frame rate in relation to the dust? Is this system really not fast enough!?

A much bigger problem is the 'pulsating' in the gunner view. When in this view, the area within the 'circle' pulsates rapidly in and out, obviously making it very difficult to aim\fire. I've changes several settings, including disabling AA\AF and turning detail down to 'high', but it's still there. Leaves the game broken really if I can't use this view.

I've had trouble programming my Saitek in-game as well. I click the key in the menu to assign it, and then the button on my stick, but nothing happens. Am I missing something?

hm, about the FPS;

there are some things wich could help alot to get good fps also in dense action.

"grass"

if you dont saw it allready, turn it off once and see the difference.

i find its better to turn it off, than to set it to a "low" distance. that would look worse than without, in my view.

"cloudlevls"

you can reduce the cloudlevls from 16(i belive)to 8 or less. its hardly noticable id say.

if you have the dust effects at high or verry high you can try to reduce just them to medium or so.

or scale the rest a bit down to get "room" for the higher dust effects.

i found the dust in this game is a big FPS killer becouse particle effects are more or less in heavy action in this sim.

so when everything is stable and runns well, and suddenly there starts fighting, and so dust/fire/etc. than there is simply much more to process and so killing off FPS i would say.

so you need a good bunch of reservs to compensate this and cant tweak the setting while moving around in the landscape without much going on.

the best way i found to bring maximal load to the system, was when i zoomed the gunners sight to the max. and tried to focous on something with many particle effects(moving/burning/shooting vehicle; best would be more than one at once).

there my fps where "horrible" and slowly, i scaled everything down until it worked out.

if you didnt saw it, look in the T-72 folder and open the "cfg.bat" file. many many options there!

EDIT:

about the water i cant say.

it looks a bit strange when you drive through becouse your tank moves and the water dont. its tricky for the eyes i found, but not that bad smile.gif

[ June 13, 2006, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

aleader, IIRC T72 is optimized for GeForce cards as far as water simulation goes. If you go into the configuration program, there is a setting to set water to "simple" or something like that, which should get rid of the problem. I have tested the game on a GeForce and an ATI card, and the water is beautiful on the former but ran into similar problems as you mention on the latter.

Martin

Thanks for the help.

Anyone having the 'shaking' gunner view problem?

I don't see any option to adjust water or dust detail levels. 'Add dust' (yes\no) is the only option in the list. What is with water and ATI cards anyways!? I have the same issues in Pacific Fighters with water...it looks like crap on ATI cards (it can only be set at level 2 on ATI cards). Here I thought I was getting a decent, modern card.

What's with the joystick mapping? I noticed someone else has asked that same question in the forum. I really want to buy this game (I'm starving for a tank game that isn't as complex as SB Pro PE), but some of these issues are showstoppers for me (joystick mapping, shaky gunner view).

[ June 16, 2006, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: aleader ]