How do you control troops under your command?

This works for me:

1) Press F7 to switch to the commander position.

2) Press F11 to switch to map mode.

3) Click on the Movement button and click on the map where you want the troops to go. A white flag will appear.

4) Press F11 again to return to the mission.

The troops should start moving now, along with your tank. Just press F5 to switch to the driver position to regain control of your tank.

Also, the troops/vehicles must be under your control...not all friendlies are.

DV

Do you have to go to the Commander position before going to map?

How do you control the individual groups though? In some missions you have two groups of troops under your command ... do how do you differentiate?

Edited - also I've noticed that sometimes my AI driver will want to drive me to a waypoint even when I don't want him to. It is SO annoying when you're dug in and he starts moving the tank.

[ May 26, 2006, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Horrgakx ]

No need to hit F7. I've noticed that your own tank crew will obey map orders, so I prefer to stay in driver mode before hittin F11 to prevent the AI driver from start moving.

AFAIK there's no way give separate orders to different units. (Pity - it would be way cool to be able to command several companies of infantry and tanks Combat Mission-style in the map mode!).

But anyone know how to command supporting vehicles to cross a bridge? I'm currently playing the Assault mission (awesome mission btw). When ordering my group to move accross the river, the "#@! stupid AI drivers go drown themselves instead of driving along the road across the broad and perfectly intact undefended bridge.

Yeh I hate that - perhaps you can get round them all going for a swim by putting them in the "Column" formation. I didn't mind though, they get across eventually smile.gif Its a good mission that, took me a couple of goes.

[ May 30, 2006, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Horrgakx ]

Hi Horrgakxx

You might of tried this,the only way support troops or supporting vehicles move across a bridge

is too give them the follow road order,

press F11 and use the follow road order,

If Anyone knows a different way why not say

Good Hunting

You1

Arrgh, i've tried a number of combinations, follow road, column formation, but the supporting vehicles still behave like total noobs. I once got the tank moving across the bridge, it was almost across only to take a turn left and make a nose dive straight into the water.

The strategic map command UI is a litle vague (to say the least), is the follow road icon a toggle button or command button? Should I click follow road before movement or after?