Anyone with t72 think Steal Beasts pro PE is worth it?

Destraex

steal beasts pro PE - modern but could be good - its shipping now

steelbeasts.com

T72 is pretty good, it would be cool if their were expansions with more interesting tanks though.

Not sure about steal beasts as it is very veryt expensive

[ADMIN: commercial link edited]

[ March 07, 2006, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

I got my version of SBPPE yesterday. I played the predecessor (Steal Beasts Gold) several times and knew what to expect. SBPPE is worth any penny IMHO, but it's a different piece of software then T72.

SBPPE is used by the military forces of several countries as a tactical simulator. So it is complex! The learning curve is steep and if one hasn't used the SB1 before, one should play the tutorials step by step. It's time consuming, but when you have mastered the controls, you'll never want to go back! In one word: it's awesome!

Now the downsides:

There's no campaign, no "game", the graphics are well done, but not as good as in T72. It's challenging, but if you are serious in learning the in and out of modern tank warfare, there's no alternative!

Originally posted by Argus:

I got my version of SBPPE yesterday. I played the predecessor (Steal Beasts Gold) several times and knew what to expect. SBPPE is worth any penny IMHO, but it's a different piece of software then T72.

SBPPE is used by the military forces of several countries as a tactical simulator. So it is complex! The learning curve is steep and if one hasn't used the SB1 before, one should play the tutorials step by step. It's time consuming, but when you have mastered the controls, you'll never want to go back! In one word: it's awesome!

Now the downsides:

There's no campaign, no "game", the graphics are well done, but not as good as in T72. It's challenging, but if you are serious in learning the in and out of modern tank warfare, there's no alternative!

I suppose you are living in germany right? Is there any german "Tank squad" I can join or something else? I now payed 125 dollar for it, and I want to play this sim with some guys. When the time comes where I hold the SB PE box in my hand (and I'm sure it's in a view days) I want some guys I can play with! Any german "SB PE Tank Squads" out there?

I've ordered it despite the apparent lack of playable Russian and UK tanks and the bias to western vehicles. I consider the high price worth it as long as the investment is repaid with free addons and support. There are about 25 single missions as well as tutorial missions and the missions editor is apparently quite easy to use. It shouldn't be long before additional mission content is added by the community.

If you watch some of the videos of the "gameplay" I am sure you will agree that it looks pretty amazing to use even at this early stage.

Originally posted by Tanker0815:

I suppose you are living in germany right? Is there any german "Tank squad" I can join or something else? ... Any german "SB PE Tank Squads" out there?

Yes, you are right, I'm writing from Düsseldorf, Germany. Unfortunately I don't know of other German players or SBPPE Squads. I would be glad to try the multiplayer mode, but I won't have enough time to get part of a virtual squad with frequent online sessions.

But I'm pretty sure that at least a few SBPPE squads are out there, because part of the dev team and the beta test crew work from Germany. You might contact them in the SB forum. ;)

Originally posted by Argus:

I would be glad to try the multiplayer mode, but I won't have enough time to get part of a virtual squad with frequent online sessions.

But I'm pretty sure that at least a few SBPPE squads are out there, because part of the dev team and the beta test crew work from Germany. You might contact them in the SB forum.

Okay thank you for the information. ;)

I will register on these forums to get in touch with the SB folks.

I just ordered my copy of SBProPE this evening. Although I do enjoy T-72 BoF, and hope to see continued support and add-ons for the franchise, SBProPE is a different product altogether. I believe they both have their individulal niche and unique strengths. And let's be honest, quality tank sims are unfortunately, too far and few between.

[ March 07, 2006, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Sgt.Steiner ]

Yes, I agree, too, especially because of the *slightly* different price tags smile.gif (Which is why I haven't bought it yet, I personally find it too expensive for myself; not enough of a tanker I guess...)

Now as much as I like SB myself and am happy to support these guys, I do have to enforce the non-commerce rules and edit some of the links posted here.

Martin

Just some last questions to those who have it already... Can I drive the tank? I have read on several sites which have tested SB PE that it is only crewable as commander and gunner! Can somebody describe a bit more of the possibilities to navigate the tank and how the tank behaviour is in general? Is it the same feeling as in BoF? And which of the tanks have the nice 3D interiors? There is such a lack of information for this sim... No description from the devs... nothing. Just curious.

Would be great if somebody can answer my questions. smile.gif

Yes, you can drive the crewable tanks. Control can be via mouse/keys or joystick. Most people don't bother however as gunner and commander positions are a lot more fun.

The feeling of being within, and driving in, a tank is way more immersive than T-72 mainly due to the excellent turret views, 3d interiors and amazing sounds. I am quickly getting used to it now and T-72's external view only system seems quite primitive in comparison.

M1A1, Leo2 and Bradley have the 3d interiors, possibly others too, but I haven't tried them yet. Other 3d interiors will be added when countries with those tanks (eg. T-72) decide to buy into the simulator to train their crews, thus paying for the 3d interiors to be created and supplying the necessary access to information. So far the UK has not bought into the simulator so no Challenger unfortunately :( but the T-72 will definatley be in the sim eventually.

All tanks that can be controlled by the player have a basic driver view (F9). But it's in all tanks the same and reminds me as if SBPPE has seen T-72 and quickly adapted that feature... :D

Tankbuster is right, most of the time you won't bother driving the tank in SBPPE, because there's so much else to do, that you propably want to concentrate on more important things at hand.

There are three good quality videos of some SB Pro PE in-game FRAPS footage which shows some tank interiors along with some battle footage too. They're available here, for those interested.

There are more videos available at the site, but these are some of the better ones--quality wise.