Arrrgh! - Mission 4 - Commando - Any Tips?

Tankbuster

I have tried this one 10 times now over two days and it is driving me nuts, literally! This is the one where you have to take out the agent driving a jeep out of the village. I must have tried every route and tactic I can think of including pure stealth (in a tank, are you kiddin??). I can usually snipe the three T-34s from a favourite vantage point hull-down, but every time I move in to take out the agent those two dammed T-55s see me and come tearing over to check me out and fill me full of holes. Anyone got any good tactics for this one ??

*spoiler*

I have to admit that I probably only managed to wing this one once, and only after knowing exactly what's coming. Not sure how I did it, but I *think* that I immediately made a dash for the eastern part of the map, totally avoided the T-34s coming down your way, and took out the jeep with a lucky shot. Something like that smile.gif

Martin

Dammit :mad: I was actually in sight of the checkpoint finish after taking out the three T-34s and the jeep this time, then a T-55 appears through the trees on the way back, takes one lucky shot and busts my engine :( the arrow in the screenie is on the checkpoint, feel my pain brothers - I need alcohol, NOW!! (this game is bad for my health)

arrgh.jpg

[ October 16, 2005, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Tankbuster ]

This mission is kidsplay comparing to mission 'Column' where you will meet 10000000 t-55 supported by even more t-72 :D and MLTB with damn missiles :D

My method is simple like construction of t-34 :D

After meeting with informators i drive back to starting point , or even bit higher ( near bus stop)

Then i perform test shoot to check estimation of distance ( first visual contact at 1600 m :D )

Usualy , after couple of seconds Mickey Mouses will appear. Then i use adventage of t-55 cannon... Even if they will hit you , they wont make any bigger damages. Usually :D

Next i move to hills at opposite side of village - that way you can see long piece of road, then usually those 2 t-55 will appear. Hide , run, whatever :D Personally i try to close distance to 300 m ( using hills to cover my tanki) and finish them personally with single HEAT round.

Then kill jeep escaping like mad smile.gif

And return to start point ( once it took me 20 minutes to drive 1300 m :D becouswe of damaged transmission, engine, tracks, killed commander, destroyed, suo, autoloader, AA gun.... did i forget about something ?

Thanks Schmeisser - I'm really looking forward to the Column mission then, I just love suicide missions tongue.gif Sounds like you had the same fun as me trying to finish this one. Latest try, they shot out my transmission, second gear only, 3rd gear results in a crazy spin. T-55s appear-death :D I'm actually finding this mission hilarious now, so many ways to die and so many variations on the same mission. The AI never do the same thing twice - unfortunately.

I had the 3 t34's killed , the 2 t55's wasted & most of the Infantry killed , the british army jeep a smoking / burning hulk on the bitumin ,heading back to the checkpoint for tea & medals & guess what?

THE DREADED FREEEZE!!!!,ABOUT 400 METERS FROM THE CP ARRRGHGEHHHHGHGHGHG & havent been able to complete it as yet ( Ive fallen victim to this twice now)

Cry for me friends!,as after the second time i nearly did :(

I was using another tactic to complete the mission. I called it Blitzkrieg and Camp smile.gif

Firstly I drive at full speed and after meeting with the informants I fly thru the road crossing and ambush the Mickey Mice before they even start moving. After that I drive at full speed to the village and start playing tankmageddon (head on bonus with MTLB and the MTLB was on his top) smile.gif

After that I camp between two buildings until t-55's arrive... I've wasted'em... but... hmmm..... where is that damned jeep.

The answer made me laugh...

The jeep was on my 8 o'clock 30m from me... lying on his top :D Hahahaaa! I didn't see him because of the tankist and furious rally thru the village... the jeep was probably so shocked he died from the heart attack and was playing dead :D

I tried to make jeep pancake from him, but it's impossible :(

So I decided to make him a Hello Everybody (HE) greeting.

Nothing better than fair shoot in the back :D

Distance ? Who cares, difficult not to hit at 80 m :D

In last mission Leo The Cat camps between buildings , once i parked 20 meters from his ... engine :D and i was waiting. After 2 mins i decided that i was fair enough, and let myself to sent him small gift with Ma=3 speed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Challenging mission - indeed. I just finished it after many, many fruitless tries. I missed a save game feature (for full version, not demo), so that I could skip the meeting with the informants - but beside that, it was lots of fun! :D

SPOILER

My tactic was to speed 90 degrees to the east, after meeting with the scouts. Driving as fast as possible, until I reached a mountain, from which I could overwatch the village, the escape route of the jeep and the approaching T-55. It's an ideal position, but nevertheless my tank limped home, after I tried to knock out all enemy armor. I doubt that my tank would've taken one more hit ... :D BTW, I finished a damaged T-34 with the AA gun on my way to the checkpoint to end the mission (distance approx. 500 meters/all other ammo were out); hit it several times in the front arc - is that realistic? I thought the armour should have protected it against smaller bullets?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hm, since this missions seems to bringe some headache to some people i will show how i solve this mission in the propper "commando" way, using a tank tongue.gif

just for account;

this was my favourite mission in the russian beta demo and i played it verry often. the solution i post here is the only "way" i did this mission sofar(and it works that good that i continued to use it since i came up with it after my first try wich was a more complicated aporoach).

i will post a pic wich will clearly show what i did, so it could considered as spoiler but the game is now out for some time and it think its ok.

(i hope the pic stays there for a while becouse otherwhise the whole text is useless...

fot those who think this "battle plan" was done by a 5 year old child with some water coloures, i d say you can plan a battel with sticks and sand)

26.04.2006_07:35:23_brief.bmp

ok i start the mission.

i head full throttle to point 1. once there i turn around and follow the dirt road up to a point where i leave the road and simply continue to go downhill into the vally(all at full throttle up to this point). there comes the first spot of interest! point 2!when facing the paved road; to the right the hill is falling off verry steep and so, combined with the whashed out "ravines" there, the perfect spot for my "1-tank-only" ambush. as said, if you face the paved road(where the jeep is suposed to drive along), have placed your tank into one of this ravines in a way that your tank stands in a horizontal position, and so can effectively use his main gun, you are ready to await the two t55´s. sooner or later they will show up(the pink arrows). but mostly around the time when the jeep is speeding out of the village. also a t34/85 will show up directly north past the street(sector 1E where the "222" height marking is). best is to kill it right away(bevor t55 apear), if not managable kill t55 first.

when the t55 come the northern rout they are provoking perfect side shots, if they take the other route and are just going down the hill around your position give them one clean shot in the back each, after they passed by. mostly they wont notice you earlier.

the action there is sometimes really dense, but you got enough time to prepare and you have a excellent hull down position to the forward and backside of your tank.

so that was the "hard" part of this mission :D

now speed straigt up to the road, turn towards the road and kill everything inside the town(if the shturm(?) is still in town hit it and also the infantry(around area 3. ;) ).

when averything is dead there drive through the village watch the nice scene and go to area 4, the desired way(no danger there).

after you take the road to the south you have to "look"; there can be several outcomes. sometimes i got no infantry/shturm in the city but these guys are crawling towards ouer meeting point instead(verry brigh and broad blue arrow). normaly i allways kill 2 t34/85´s from somewhere around that location but last time they wherent there(yellow arow). meybe they flipped themselfs :D

anyways, just stay on the road, and watch your left side. dispatch whatever there mey be left.

if you dont find any t34´s, killed the shturm+inf and the single t34 near the town, it should be "safe" to speed to the checkpoint after you took a last look for some mickey´s at the former meeting point. when there arent any, it seems they have messed up somewhere on the way... .

in the end its verry easy. the t55´s are getting outspeeded in the first phase and than suprised when they apear on the battlefield leaving them burning or turning, acually pretty easy. after this we shoot ouerselfs through the town into the back of the "enemys" mini assault on ouer meetingpoint(whyever this happens!? meybe they coduct a "Gegenjagdt" without knowing that iam in the back)). if you see t34´s you will get em from the side too. rpg guys shouldnt pose a big threat in this map.

i dont hope its too much of a spoiler, but i saw noone so far wich copleats this mission in a similar way like this so i thought i bring another proofed solution

greetings

EDIT:

now i got usefull screens of the ravines and hull down position.

10.05.2006_00:30:02_shot_2006_04_26_20_00_23_0001.jpg

(ready for the 2 T55´s wich are coming soon...)

10.05.2006_00:37:29_shot_2006_04_26_20_06_44_0002.jpg

(jeep burnig, t55´s killed to the right and slight left of my tank)

[ May 09, 2006, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

• 10 months later...

It took me a gazillion tries but I finally did it yesterday. The funny thing is that the next few missions are SO easy after you've passed this one.

I sniped all five tanks from the hills in the south. I didn't let them close within 1,5km. They only managed to hit me once, but nonetheless they did quite a bit of damage.

Anyway, the most annoying thing that ever happened to me in this mission:

I'm trying to approach the village from the south. The tank is moving slowly, commander looking for targets. All of a sudden - KABOOM, the tank is rolling around (track hit). The driver isn't responding to orders so I get down there, pull the brake, get back up (losing precious seconds) and realise that we're stuck on a big meadow and everybody's here and shooting at us. Somehow I manage to kill all five tanks, the RPG guy and the APC. And when it's practically over, there's nobody around to hurt us, the crew decide it's time to panic and leave the tank. Game over. Argh... Almost as bad as your freeze, Craq tongue.gif .

The Commando Mission is pretty fun. The first thing to do after you start the tank is chamber a BPS round right away, then head for the commando team. Once you have the "meeting" head back toward the checkpoint where you started. About half way there the three T-34's will tend to come out of the trees from the direction of the village. Go ahead and switch to the gunner position and take them out. You can also keep driving and let the AI crew in your turret take out the T-34's. If you hit the T-34's in the hull directly below their turrets it tends to cook off their ammo loads, and burn out the tanks. Once they are dead keep heading for the checkpoint. Go over the crest of the hill that the checkpoint is on and keep going until you get to the paved roadway. Hang a left on the roadway and head over to the big hill at the far southeast corner of the map. Once you get to the hill turn left off the paved road and head up towards the top of the big hill. When you get to the top you will see the two T-55's parked to your north about 1.5 to 2 kilometers to your north. Back down out of sight, make sure you have a BPS round chambered, then pop back up, line up a shot at one of the T-55's and take the shot. After you take the shot drop out of sight. Repeat these steps until you take out the enemy T-55's. One or both of them may be out of sight when you first pop up. You may have to work your way down the north side of the hill until you can start to see them in the gunner's sight. Don't wait for the tank commander to spot them. Find them from the gunner postion and knock them out before they can see you. To do this you will need to adjust your main gun's range manually because you may be only able to barely see the enemy T-55 due to the distance and haze.

After you knock out the enemy T-55's head north to the next paved road, and turn left toward the village. The jeep will be travelling on this road. Blow it away with an OFS shell. Head into and through the village, staying on the paved road and take the road all the way back to the valley where you met up with the 3 person commando team. Knock out the enemy's MTLB and infantry squad. The biggest threat at this point is the enemy RPG gunner. After he's dead the remaining enemy forces are screwed. Mop them up and head back to the check point.