How many of us are or were real tank crew members?

oren_m

Well i know that most of the people are really just "Heavy-metal fans" , but how many of us are really crew members, and how it is helping your gaming methods in BOF?

I was a Merkava Mk.2B gunner, i and really find it useful in the gunner position, when you come up tank position and waits for the target to appear in your sights...really realiscit, it brings up some memories...

Oren_m

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Oren,

I was a Navy guy myself but I am interested in the memories of those who were tankers. Were you in any major battles?

I did some quick reading on the Mk2 and it seems it was used in Lebanon.

The Merkava looks like a very sleek tank as far as the turret is concerned. I've always wondered why more tank's turrets werent as sleek to defeat sabot rounds.

I have'nt been in big armor battles, i was in service between the years 2000-2003, during the armed uprising of the palestinian forces in the occupied territorys (it is called "INTIFADA" in arabic), i participated in large anti-terror operations, just like thous in Iraq right now, and i tell you, it is not easy at all!

16 year old kids shoot at you with AK-47's and home make rockets, most of the movment is in urban area which is heavily booby traped...NOT FUN!

As for you gato, the last tank sim i played was armoured fist, which is rubbish, and not raelly a tank sim.

BOF is a very realictic sim, it raelly looks like a tank warfare...and that is good!

If you guys want, i can scan some pictures i took while in the tank, and sometimes during combat...

Oren_m

U.S. Army 1968-1971 ..I wasn't a tank crew member. I had two MOS ..63B20 Wheeled vehicle mechanic and 63C20 Tracked vehicle mechanic ..I also drove an M578 VTR while stationed on Biggs Field next to Fort Bliss in Texas. That was in the very first (so I was told) operational Chaparral ADA unit. We were with a Vulcan unit on Biggs Field. Does it help with my gaming in BOF ...no, I suck at tank gunnery. Having fun with it though.

Regards,

Gunz

Here are some of the pictures!

norm_B3197B817DED4819BFE4E5FA6F99A77D.JPG

This one is in the villege of Yatta, south of city of Hebron, behind the bulding in the middle people are throwing stones and rocks on us, this is a brief moment of silince.

norm_25A97F71F1EA4390B9635AC8F3B58105.JPG

This one is a little to the west, in a villege called Beit-Ulla, this is the northern entrance of the villege, we are meeting here with the sector commander and another tank from the paltoon.

norm_07639A72EF57443F8975F54DD140BD9D.JPG

This picture is in a whole other place, it's in the northern part of the Gaza strip, in the town of Beit-Hanun, you can see in the middle of the picture, near the containers, a person looking at us, i assume that he was the one who shot at us later this day.

norm_61AEEBFA6AFC43BC86F97A17132A2A4C.JPG

This is our way out of Beit-Hanun in an armoured convoy, one of the APC's was lightly hit by a small demo-charge.

Im assuming that is the main gun in the first picture. Im not talking about your HK rifle laying down in front of you there. Im not sure how to describe it, but it looks like there are some frilly material on the front part of the barrel. Looks like netting, maybe, for camoflauge? Not that you would need it in an urban environment with possible close combat.

If anyone else has any pics please feel free to post them.

Originally posted by gunnersman:

Im assuming that is the main gun in the first picture.

Doesn't look like a gun tube to me (although detail is hard to see). Unless Merkava's main gun is angular and darn short.

Of course, it could be Dr.X's Death Ray Gun... :cool:

Edit: yep, it does look like a covered periscope. Possibly. Unfortunately we don't have 3D cameras as of yet...

If anyone else has any pics please feel free to post them.

musti.jpg

What we have here's not a tank, but a tank destroying weapon. Yes, the Finnish steel shovel! It is a dual purpose weapon: first you hack the T-72 or T-80 into little pieces, then you dig a hole into ground for the earthly remains of the crew.

Behind the shovel is the backup system, 95mm recoilless rifle "Musti" (Black Dog), but because it wouldn't be needed much, it is put under shelter.

;)

Awesome pics guys, thanks alot.

Btw, since it's obvious that Finnish steel shovel can get amazing penetration numbers. But just out of curiosity, in case you have blisters and can't operate the shovel, how's the penetration numbers of the 95mm "Musti" rifle?

More military pics are always welcomed around here. ;)

P.S. I suppose i could post some pics of me playing with my G.I. Joe toys when i was a little kid. :D

I think that i now understand what do you mean.

What that you are looking at a place where you can attach a 0.50 machine gun, it's coax with the main gun, it is mostly used for simulating a main gun during tanker's basic training, it has almost no use in combat mode because it's very bad for the tank's silhouette.

And by the way, it is not HK, it's IMI GALIL SR.

Oren_m

Originally posted by Sergei:

Yes, the Finnish steel shovel! It is a dual purpose weapon: first you hack the T-72 or T-80 into little pieces, then you dig a hole into ground for the earthly remains of the crew.

;)

Never underestimate the effectiveness of a well placed shovel! Is that a Mk1 or has it been upgraded?

;)

Oren_m,

I stand corrected... a Galil it is then!

Ah, but that depends... will Finland be featured in the next CM game?
Holy Birch Trees Batman... the Finns want ANOTHER game simulating their forces! You'd think one was enough for them to prove their überness against the Russian ünterhordes, but apparently not! As much as I want a m/05 uniform I don't think I should bend to such tactics of bribery, otherwise I'll next find myself strong armed into simulating the Mk1 Steel Shovel with the A2 handle modification. And from there things will go from bad to worse! ;)

Oren_m... thanks for the personal shots. It is always nice to see candid shots from the soldiers themselves instead of just the photo journalists.

Steve

[ August 13, 2005, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Ok...I finally have this image hosting thing figured out...

oren_m what is that on the end of the barrel. It looks like bloomers with frills.

Looks like a typical thermal sleeve to me.

And to stay on subject, I was a T-72M1 gunner in FDF and it didn't really help me a one bit with BoF as the similarities between RL and IG T-72 are minimal.

Ok Ok!!

I got it finally!

Diesel is kinda right, what you see are the screws which are holding the thermal sleeve from falling off... that's all!

And if you ment the square thing on the very end of the main gun, it's a gun position indicator, it glows at dark and visible from a spesific angle, which is from the hatches of the turret.

I'll try to scan a picture that will clear it out!

Oren_m