Clarification

Panta

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, thus I apologize. But my Dell is the one that has an ATI Radeon VE graphic card. It is there that I am experiencing problems. On my clone 1,6 Mhz PC with NVidia GForce at home, CMAK runs very well. Of course this is after I downloaded driver 56.12 (or so) to correct the infamous Nvidia bug described in the Troubleshooting section.

All things considered, I do not feel like starting uncertain DELL-Radeon upgrades, so most probably I will also purchase CMBTB and play it on the DELL, together with CMBO...

Tx for your support, mates, and a Happy New Year!

(I will be alone on shift the 31st until midnight, in the sole company of CMBO, on my Dell)

Cheers,

Panta

It can confuse people if you don't post to the original thread.

I'm not sure why there's a performance difference between your two computers. I can only guess that you don't have CMBO modded and that you may be running it at a low resolution. CMBB & CMAK on the other hand have high resolution textures by default and can be much more demanding on a videocard.

Generally at lower resolutions, the CPU becomes more of a limiter for video performance, while at higher resolutions the videocard becomes the limiter. In this case CMBO has low-resolution textures and can be played on low-end video cards (if you don't put in a bunch of high-res graphic mods). CMBB & CMAK on the other hand have higher resolution textures and require a minimum of 800x600 to play. They are much more demanding of a videocard (and require 16-32Mb as a minimum). Even though it is matched with a faster CPU, the Radeon VE is limiting the performance of the games, while the GeForce is a (slightly) more capable videocard.

The CM series, to my knowledge, hasn't been optimized for any videocard in particular. It is originally developed on a Mac (which usually has ATI video hardware) and then ported over to the PC. The only real advantage that the NVidias have over the ATI hardware is that they support fog-tables (a PC issue, not one for ATI on the Mac). Unlike other game developers that optimize their code for one graphics chip manufacturer, BTS hasn't done that since their primary issue is cross-platform compatibility and stable code.

The odd thing is that I have both machines set at the same screen ressolution. Since my equipements are intended for professional graphic work (I am photojournalist) I employ a 21" monitor with the Dell and a 19" one on the PC, both of professional quality (flat) they are both set at 1280x1024.

What really puzzles me is rather the inverse behavior of the games in both computers while the settings remain the same.

Cheers,

Panta