CMBB installs but will not play

Guest Jfink

Symptoms:

1. Game installs without observable problem

2. When starting, game configures the screen resolution then displays main screen. Sound of snare drums indicates we have sound.

3. Play option: The system displays a message with red border on black, but I cannot read it as it disappears too quickly ( I suspect it is

"Scanning Disk for Scenarios"). The program immediatly returns me to the Window desktop. Task Manager shows no trace of the program in memory.

This machine run Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord without problem.

4. The following options appear to be ok:

Create option - OK

Join option - OK

Exit option - OK

System Specification:

600mhz Intel

128mb ram

3dx Voodoo 3 Display Adaptor

21" KDS visual sensations VS-195 display

Creative SB Live! sound card

Windows ME 4.90.3000

directx 8.1

Symptoms:

1. Game installs without observable problem

2. When starting, game configures the screen resolution then displays main

screen. Sound of snare drums indicates we have sound.

3. Play option: The system displays a message with red border on black, but I cannot read it as it disappears too quickly ( I suspect it is

"Scanning Disk for Scenarios"). The program immediatly returns me to the Window desktop. Task Manager shows no trace of the program in memory.

This machine runs Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord without problem.

4. The following options appear to be ok:

Create option - OK

Join option - OK

Exit option - OK

System Specification:

600mhz Intel

128mb ram

3dx Voodoo 3 Display Adaptor

21" KDS visual sensations VS-195 display

Creative SB Live! sound card

Windows ME 4.90.3000

What resolution are you running at ? What driver version do you have loaded ?

Basically I've been able to run CMBB with a Voodoo 3 AGP and the latest 3dfx reference drivers. However I've had to cut the resolution down to 800x600 since there is a texture problem at 1024x768 and higher (some grass textures come up white/missing).

The problem that you describe I've seen with the Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo 1 & 2 cards. To get around this I had to downgrade the Banshee driver to a slightly older one and the scenario selection screen came up.

This problem is happening to me, too. It happened once with CCBO, and I took my computer to the shop. The technician fixed it...he said that the progam found a file and went to desktop because it thought the game was already running. I can't remember the file name or where it's found. Does anyone have a guess?

Thanks.