Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hangs on Loading 3D Graphics

I've installed the game on a Win Me desktop that has a RAGE XL AGP 2X graphics card.

I can go through all the menu selections , but eventually the app locks up on the "Loading 3D Graphics" progress message. Nothings happens or is available after this and I have to reboot the PC.

I've tried setting the display to 16 bit colour, 24 true color and 32 true color, but the same thing happens each time.

I've also downloaded and installed DirectX V8.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure of the absolute answer here. I've run into problems under Win2K with the drivers Microsoft has provided for ATI chipsets; that may be a plausible explanation of the problem you're seeing with WinME.

I'd suggest getting the latest (last ?) driver update for the Rage Pro/XL series.

It's posted as an unsupported/special use driver at ATI or from Rage 3D's website:

ATI (v. J5.11.1B20 most of the way down the page - listed in non-bold text):

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/spdrivers/index.html?parent=0&folder=70&doc=55

Rage 3D (listed in upper right corner under Rage Pro, v. J5.11.1B20):

http://www.rage3d.com/

In terms of speed, you can set your display to 16-bit color as that is the palette depth that CM uses (and will use until the engine rewrite in CMII). I can't recall if ATI may perform better in 16-bit or 24-bit (some driver optimizations sometimes favor one over the other despite the obvious increase in data for 24-bit images/desktop, etc.).

Do you have any other video cards or 3D accelerators in your system ? If so it may be possible that CM is using that instead of your ATI Rage XL. If necessary, delete your CM Prefs file (located at C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO\Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs) and have it redetect your resolution/refresh rate over again.

I downloaded and installed the latest graphics card drivers - no change.

I even tried running the app at 800 x 600, but again no difference.

One thing: when your app prompts for resolution, at the 1280 x 780 level sometimes the mouse cursor disappears.

This Pc is using a cordless Logitech mouse

All other DirectX games - like Sudden Strike - work perfectly OK.

Try turning off the intro movie (hold shift during startup of the program). It's a longshot but you never know...

On my mac laptop (with an ATI 3D accelerator) it hangs during the load if the movie started to play. I turned off the movie and it was cured (I've also verified that if I turn the movie back on the problem returns).

Though this probably won't be a very good diagnostic, you can try the following:

Go to Start Menu > Run > type C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG and click OK > Display tab > check that all three settings in the DirectX Features section are enabled (there'll be buttons for Disabling them if they are enabled) > Click on the Test AGP Texturing button > this will send you out to a 640 x 480 screen with a spinning "DirectX" box with a texture mapped on its surface. More than likely this test will probably pass. What you can do here is to "Disable" AGP Texture Acceleration. This will possibly require a reboot to take effect.

Delete your preferences file for the Gold Demo (wherever you've installed it) and have CM redetect the resolution. With AGP Texture Acceleration off it may default to 640 x 480 (that would definitely happen with Direct3D Acceleration disabled - which would force software rendering).

Sudden Strike is a 2D, isometric, sprite-based game. So while it may work, it isn't doing the same thing 3D-wise that CM is doing. Admittedly it is hard to make comparisons between games to say that this one is working, then this other one should be working. But at least we know that there probably isn't any problems with your DirectX installation.

When you say you have the latest ATI drivers are they the J5.11.1B20's ? If you're using the ones that come with WinME (which may say that they're "newer" if you attempt to install anything else), you may want to consider using the J5.11.1B20's anyway.

The Shift-key sequence that chrisl mentioned is for turning off the QuickTime movie that comes up when you launch CM (the full version only). Holding down the Shift-key at any other point while loading a scenario isn't going to really do anything (except for keyboard commands within the game).

The mouse disappearing - You're using a bit of an odd resolution. I recently found out that CM does prefer certain aspect-ratios for the resolution. So the 1280 x 780 resolution may cause some weird DirectX anomalies that you're seeing with the mouse cursor.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 04-03-2001).]

>> Disable AGP Texture Acceleration.

After disabling this DirectX feature the game now works. Many thanks!

>>So the 1280 x 780 resolution may cause some weird DirectX anomalies that you're seeing with the mouse cursor. <<

What resolution would you recommend? Higher or lower?