Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Mac TCP/LAN help

I need to set up a Mac TCP connection to my son's iMac. Anyone know how to set the TCP control panel to make it work? Do I need a HOSTS file, and if so what is the correct way to config?

I'm using 8.6 and ethernet. Other ethernet games work well, as does Appletalk. It's TCP thing thats got me confused.

thanks!

I'm not looking at a Mac, so I can't give you specifics about the MacTCP control panel.

You need to make sure that your ethernet connection has an assigned IP address & subnet mask (I don't think a gateway will be necessary here for a game between two Macs). I'd suggest an IP of 192.168.92.1 for one Mac and 192.168.92.2 for the other and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for both. You shouldn't need a manually generated HOSTS file since these are the only two computers you're dealing with.

You may want to disable Appletalk. Germanboy had some problems with Appletalk (possibly because the two Macs had slightly different language OS' - Canadian and UK !) and I believe he disabled Appletalk on one of them (but not both ?).

You should be able to follow the Internet Play readme provided with the latest patch for selecting the correct IP. If this doesn't get you going then hopefully another Mac-head can chime in here and help you.

Thanks for the help! It finally worked! I had already done everything suggested but I guess the IP numbers I choose were illegal or something. I changed the numbers and voila! What a great game for two...I wish we could add many more players and subdivide the command down company or even platoon level.

Thanks for all the help! smile.gif