Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Total freeze while shift-mouse pan scroll--old prob I'm sure--can't find in search

maxm2

I've been playing CM on my Gateway PII 400 for at least a year, but this occasional (once 1-2 weeks) problem is a reeeeeel drag. I searched on "scroll" and every version of crash I could think of, but only one vaguely relevant reference.

When zipping around the battlefield during the movie or plots, I use the "shift-mouse/left button" or "shift-right/left scroll arrow" command to scroll/move sideways (pan). Every so often, especially when I'm trying to do it quickly, the screen freezes (cursor disappears, can't scroll) and I can only alt-tab to other programs---for a few seconds--and then everything freezes and I have to do a cold reboot (shut the power off). Of course, Windows is pissed and anything going on before the freezed in any other program (I've learned not to run anything else during CM because I'll lose any ram info)is gone. My gateway is very conventional, I'm running WIN98, have 128k of memory, and it's hard to believe I have some weird configuration of drivers/address assignments etc. No other game I have does this, and I've got lots.

I've run all my utilities, defragged, given the case a massage, and oiled the CPU. I assume my problem isn't common, though, because I couldn't find anything using every search term I could imagine might be relevant.

Help!

--Max :(

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: maxm2 ]</p>

I've not heard of that problem before, but it might be related to your RAM. Only 128k! I had more than that on my 286. ;)

Oiling your CPU isn't a good idea. It doesn't have any moving parts. Though the massage was a good idea. Those electrons get kinda stressed zipping around so much.

But seriously, I had a similar system that I played CM on daily for over a year with no problems. It was a P2-400, 196MB RAM, Win98, etc.

Do you have some "special" background programs running? Try closing everything but systray and explorer. Perhaps you have special mouse software installed that might be causing this. Try preventing anything like that from starting automatically by using Start->Run->msconfig and going to the far right tab and unselecting programs that might be interfering. It amazes me everytime I see one of these commercial machines and how many programs they load in the background, so it wouldn't surprise me that something Gateway installed is interfering with CM.

BeWary

Thanks very much for the advice, BeWary.

Uh, do you not allow an email reply because you're a software developer and afraid of thousands of submissions "for this great game idea I've got where, like, you start out with this army--but it's MUTANT ZOMBIE CHEERLEADERS!!!! It would be so cool! You'd have to like gather Enthusiasm Points before you could attack, and search for cool weapons and armored sweaters and ****. And the coolest thing of all would be that it's REAL TIME!! Whaddaya think, huh? Could you send me a check soon? My allowance is kind of running out..."

Okay, okay, I'll stop there. Anyway:

>I've not heard of that problem before, but it might be related to your RAM. Only 128k! I had more than that on my 286<

You're thinking of the size of your enhanced 51/2" inch floppies of the time... : )

>Oiling your CPU isn't a good idea. It doesn't have any moving parts.<

What are you talking about? When I tried to plug it into the motherboard it popped out of my fingers and rolled across the lenght of my desk...

>Though the massage was a good idea. Those electrons get kinda stressed zipping around so much.<

Putting on a Yanni CD has the same effect as the massage for some of the subatomic particles, although many others break valence bonds and anything else in their way in an attempt to flee, I've noticed...

>But seriously...Do you have some "special" background programs running?.....it wouldn't surprise me that something Gateway installed is interfering with CM. ;);) <

Nor me. I'm trying to be super careful about pushing shift at the moment, but I'll get to your suggestion if this doesn't work.

Thanks again for the humor and the advice.

--Max