What Systems Don't Work & What Syatems Do

I originally had some major problems with the game locking up withing a few minutes of playing the demo; without fail it would lock up, every time.

I changed my AGP setting to 2x and my AGP Apeture size to 16 (default is 64) and I haven't had ANY problems for days now. If you don't have a 16MB setting I've heard that 256MB may work as well.

These settings are adjusted in bios.

One that works:

Compaq Presario w AMD 6K 450 , 64 RAM (24 available) TNT2 M64 at 32 RAM, ESS sound system, 800X600 resolution.

Graphics work fine except with large scenarios when it slows down some.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

And one that works:

K6-2 450

Jetway J-542B motherboard

128meg 100mhz RAM

16meg V2 Banshee

Sound blaster live value sound card (with hardware accelerate turned off as per CM manual)

And one that crashes and has white outs:

Same as above but with a V3-3000 (not over clocked and with an on board fan and a PCI slot fan

Everything has lastest drivers btw.

Guest JAZZA

One that didn't work but now does

Amd k6 2-300

96mb ram

voodoo 2 12mb 3d card

c-media on board sound card

found some different drivers for the voodoo2

i was using 3dfx reference drivers but they caused lockups

no problems on a Power Mac 6500/300 128MB Ram OS 8.5.1, Mac Magic Voodoo, aside that I get only solid explotions and low quality smoke, fog I can forget it works and Im happy.. going to see what it does with ATI's NEXUS GA graphics card. when it comes.

Guest Steve Makarow

Okay, I've got the full game and 1.03 patch and...

it's crashing like hell!

I think it's time to send BTS an email.

I want to know whether the game is supposed to work with my hardware or not.

Guest Big Time Software

Steve,

Do you have the latest (v7.0a) of DirectX installed?

Some people with strange crashes have reported that reducing the size of the "AGP Aperture" in their BIOS has cured crash problems.

Unfortunately the ATI Rage Mobility is, in my experience, not a reliable piece of equipment.

Charles

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 07-28-2000).]

My system configuration:

EPOX MB w/AMD K6-2 500Mhz

128mb RAM (had)

Creative Savage4 32mb Video (had)

Sound Blaster 16 ISA (had lying around)

Standard mouse w/wheel (had)

HP 8x4x32 CDRW (had)

Toshiba 32x CD (had lying around)

Seagate 1.2GB HD (had lying around)

Fujitsu 4.3GB HD (had)

Realtec PCI network card (had)

Game runs greeeaaat!!! I very happy now!

It all cost me about $200.00! I used parts from my old system and pieced the new one with old stuff too.

[This message has been edited by thepow (edited 07-28-2000).]

Guest Steve Makarow

Hey, thanks BTS for the response! I'm dying to get CM running smoothly. I've been waiting for a game like CM since I was a kid!

Anyways, major bummer on the ATI Rage Mobility-P. When I bought my (first) laptop in April, all the top of the line (like mine) laptops from Gateway and Dell used the Mobility-P.

To be honest, I didn't know that you couldn't upgrade a laptop graphics card when I made the purchase.

I do have DirectX 7.a, as well as the latest drivers (from the Gateway site) for all my hardware. I did however, install my drivers before updating Win98SE to DirectX 7.a. The manual for CM says that Direct X updates should be installed before the drivers. My mouse software was installed after the Direct X update.

I'll test the aperture fix before I reinstall my drivers. I'm hopeful, as Melloj's (in this thread) laptop is very similar to mine, with the same graphics card, and he's not having any lockups.

Are there any other potential hardware problems or troubleshooting suggestions that I should be aware of? Here are my system specs again:

Gateway Solo 9300

PIII-650 (with SpeedStep)

128 RAM

ATI Rage Mobility-P 8 MB SGRAM

ESS Maestro 2E sound card

CD-RW

12 GB hard drive

Synaptics EZ touchpad

MS WheelMouse with Intellipoint 3.1

Win98SE with all relevant updates

Thanks for your help and damn fine work on CM! I've been telling lots of people about it.

Steve Makarow

Guest Chris B

Powerbook G3/233 "Wall Street". No 3D.

Works nicely, no 3D rendering, of course.

But if the game can, it forces 640x480.

Plays in 800x600 if run w/o the external better screen.

So works apart from a stupid resolution change. :-(

The game no longer runs on my system. It worked for about a week. The problems began with the blinking pixel/fog whiteout problem. I think that I've fixed that since it hasn't happened in a few days. BUT, now the whole thing just locks up completely after about two minutes of play.

The error I got last night was: Fatal exception at: 0028:C0035A63 in VXO IFSMGR(01) + 00002977.

I have no freking idea what this means, but it's happened twice. That is, the error message has appeared twice, the other five or six crashes were just straight freeze-ups. If I knew how to change the BIOS AGP settings I'd give it a try....but I'm afraid I'll just explode the whole computer.

I'm running DX7a and I've installed my video card drivers AFTER doing the DirectX upgrade. I've also uninstalled/reinstalled the game. No dice.

Here's my specs:

Combat Mission 1.02, patched to 1.03

Windows 98

AMD K6II 3D 450

128mb Ram

Voodoo 3 3000

8.5 gig HD 650+ cache/345mb free

Creative Labs AWE64 Gold

My DX diagnostic says that I'm running 7.0 but I know I Dl'd 7.0a. I thought it installed correctly. That's weird.

Anyway, it's a real bummer not to be able to play the game anymore, especially since I was really looking forward to it and REALLY getting into playing it. O'well. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

OK, I figured out how to change the AGP stuff. It still aint working. Argh!

OK, two hours later. I've reinstalled yet again. This time I left the patch out and everythings hunky dory. I played a 15 turn battle straight through, no lockups and no whiteout. So, it appears there's a problem with the patch. At least, on my system it's no good.

[This message has been edited by TheBlackHand (edited 07-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by TheBlackHand (edited 07-29-2000).]

• 5 months later...

this seemed an appropriate forum by the title, tho' [i hope] I can't help with the freezing/crashing issue.

Not being very PC- or game-literate I was dubious about whether CM would work on my old-ish laptop. It does ! 8)

the downside [limited to]: Resolution set itself to 640x480 ; I've only run Tiny scenarios so far, & moving the camera can be Slow [shortcut keys better than touchscreen for this]. I've got the big installation [scratch 1/3 of D-drive, but its worth it!], quick smoke, 2-man squads etc. Suspect I may have to live without transparent walls.

the upside: installed & ran straight off 'as advertised'...quite quick enough so far, video is quite manageable, smoke works, and the game is good enough that I Really Don't Care if I haven't got movie-quality graphics.

So to give hope to any P233 - laptop-owning prospectives out there, here's the lowly spec:

Dell Latitude CPi Intel PII M233XT [the Boot Screen says - the case says D233XT..]

64Mb RAM ; Windows 98

video - NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD v 4.10.01.0006-Q6.13.03

audio device 'Audio for Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC'

------------------

The Flying Dodo

Guest Madmatt

With that video card (the Neomagic) 640x480 is about the best you will be able to get. It just doesnt have the power to push more than that and doesn't support some of the more advanced graphics features that we use (tranparentcies).

Madmatt