Networking options

I just got a new computer and was wondering whether I could network it with my old computer to be able to play CM head-to-head using both computers. I have no networking experience, but have tinkered with minor computer upgrades, so I’m hoping this is something that won’t be too difficult for me.

Here is what I have -

New computer:

AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor

512 RAM

Windows XP Home

Integrated 10/100Base-T networking

2 PCI expansion slots available

1 AGP expansion slot available (plan to upgrade with a video card)

Old computer:

Intel Celeron

256 RAM

Windows 98 SE

10/100 BaseT LAN Adapter (Ethernet)

2 PCI expansion slots available

The old computer is currently using the Ethernet card to connect to the Internet via a cable modem.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to link these two computers so CM can be played TCP/IP? If so, what equipment would I need, and would a wireless network be an option?

Thanks,

Ace

Here is a link to a site explaining how to set up a direct cable network for any Windows OS.

http://www.lpt.com/Support/DCC-SetUp/dcc-setup.htm

I've set up networks from Windows XP home to Windows 95, to Windows ME and Windows 2000. You will have to buy a Direct Connect Cable. I got one at Best Buy. It connects from printer port to printer port on both computers.

If both computers are setup with the TCP/IP protocol (default in XP, an installable option off the Windows CD in 98) and assigned an IP address (such as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2), then you should be able to play the 'TCP/IP' option for head-to-head.

If you're using your network connection to connect to the Internet via a broadband device, then there may be some other things to consider when it comes to wiring and IP addresses.