!!!***@@##!! 640x480!

Went out and got a new Gateway with the Nvidia Geforce2 MX200 graphics card and Windows XP before I was aware of the resolution and transparency problems connected with the use of the aforementioned and CM.

Came to this board and read of the various "fixes" that enable one to at least play the game. Here's my problem:

Installed CM. Was offered the crappy 640X480 resolution upon start. Exited game. Deleted Prefs file. Started game again. Offered crappy 640X480 reolution again. Uninstalled game. Repeated process over and over again.( the definition of insanity?) Now I have no hair and no CM (Other than crappy 640X480.)

My desktop resolution is 1024X768.

I have downloaded and installed the newest drivers from Invidia.

I am a complete idiot.

Other than that, what am I doing wrong?

gunnerdream

What chipset is your Gateway using ? If it is using a VIA chipset then the NVidia 23.11's may be a problem. If the board is based on a VIA chipset then I would suggest installing the v. 4.36 4-in-1 drivers with the AGP driver installed in 'Turbo' mode.

What is your monitor detected as, Plug & Play or Default ? You may want to select a model that is closer to your actual monitor to see if this may help in any way.

XP comes with DirectX 8.1. You may want to run the DirectX Diagnostic at C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG. Go to the Display tab and check the settings there and make sure that they're all enabled. From the sound of it CM isn't recognizing that you have a 3D hardware accelerator and is defaulting to 'software rendering' mode (which is only offered at 640 x 480 on a PC). If you delete your Prefs file again and it offers you the resolution, it should say under the resolution what it is working with - Primary Display adapter, a 'named' display adapter or 'software rendering' (or something close to that).

I don't believe that it would be necessary to install DirectX, but you may need to reinstall your video drivers over again (and possibly uninstall your current ones first).

phil stanbridge - The 23.11's don't seem to cause problems with every VIA chipset, but they do for a number of them. They cause a BSOD and an 'infinite loop' error, but I'm not sure under what exact set of circumstances. Apparently they write to the wrong registry/memory address when it comes to motherboards based on a VIA chipset (possibly just the KT133's and KT266's, I'm not sure).

The latest 4-in-1's (4.36) silently patch some AGP code (I don't know the details). XP does have some of the latest VIA code for the chipsets, though the 4.36's have newer IDE drivers (primarily) and there doesn't seem to be any installing of AGP drivers when the installer is run under XP. However there does seem to be a problem and the VIA chipset is the most common factor.

Well, I had major issues with the 23.10s when I did my win2000 reinstall over the weekend. The 3d game ran fine, but the 2d screens were corrupted in teh standard way. And task-switching did not help the situation. Nor did quitting and restarting CM. I was forced to reboot to address the issue.

I had to downgrade to the 15.70s, but now, with FSAA forced at 2x, CM is running perfectly.

WWB