Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

nVidia Geforce2mx mac graphic problem

Hi guys.

I just got a new mac G4 533 single processor with the new Geforce2mx card from nVidia. All of my drivers are updated to the latest including the latest OpenGL, and the latest firmware and Geforce2mx driver update from apple's website. I am running OS 9.1 with 128 mb's of ram. Virtual memory is turned off.

The problem I presume is the sky textures will not load. When I load the game on the battlefield the sky is just jet black, as if it just didnt load or couldnt proccess it. Also, the backround textures are jet black as well. Everything else on the map looks fine. Even great. Its just the sky and backround textures are black. I have no mods running, and am running with CM versige e.12 (no mods).

Yep, that was me. The mac actually has come into my hands by chance. The video card was preinstalled. Its not too big of a deal, however one can always get an Ati card I suppose. I do hope Nvidia and apple get it right for CM. The picture quality seems slightly better then that of an Ati one, mainly because the Nvidia card shows 16bit with better qualty.

Hopefully Apple will get this right.

Yike. This is not good news. I'm getting a 733 in a week or so and I had high hopes of really going to town with some cool mods. Freak, have you tried any mods since your last post? It's good that everything on the map at least still shows up as normal. Another question: On my current setup, when an HE shell misses and goes off the map, I will usually still see the explosion. Does that still work with your new Mac?

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Yike. This is not good news. I'm getting a 733 in a week or so and I had high hopes of really going to town with some cool mods. Freak, have you tried any mods since your last post? It's good that everything on the map at least still shows up as normal. Another question: On my current setup, when an HE shell misses and goes off the map, I will usually still see the explosion. Does that still work with your new Mac?

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am pretty sure that explosions work when they miss the play map and explode off map. I haven't played CM extensively on my new Geforce mac yet. I did play one tcp/ip game and the graphics worked well, with fog. Again just the sky textures did not load, leaving a jet black sky. There were a few artifacts showing up which was caused by the fog. For instance the info screens for units had a slight fog mesh over it, giving the usual black screen with white text a fogy light grey wash over the black screen. The text is still very readable. Other than that, the graphics looked superb. A big step up from my ATI 128 rage pro. I say this mainly because I have always been annoyed at at ATI's 16bit output. ATI's 16bit visual quality is poor, unfortunetly affecting CM . With nVidia's new card, they handle 16bit mode much better and show the screen without the infamous "dithering effect" of the ATI card. The nVidia card really looks good, and handles my graphics nicely. I am able to really scroll around on big maps with high quality smoke with no problems. The unit textures look fantasic. (again, this is mainly because the nVidia shows a cleaner screen, without the "dithering effect".

I haven't tryed any mods yet. I am actually having fun being a CM "newbie" again. The original textures look great. I hadn't really fully apreciated the original textures with all of the mod sluting I was doing.

I wouldnt worry about the 733 and its Geforce. Its an excellent Mac. I have the 533 version and I am in heaven. I have a 40gig drive so I can slut all I want smile.gif

I think apple and nVidia will get this problem fixed soon with the next driver release. The reason for this is there are alot of apps, games which don't run correctly graphics wise with the new nvidia macs. I am fairly certain this is known (by apple? :confused: ) because there is alot of talk about it on various sites reviewing the new nvidia macs.

I am fairly certain CM will be fixed. Since most of teh graphics show up and work well in CM, minus the sky textures and a few artifacts I believe CM will bemost likely be fixed. I am willing to put up with jet black sky's for a while, while apple and nvidia get its drivers right.

Thanks, Freak. That's reassuring. Now I can hardly wait for my new Mac to get here. I've been playing on a seemingly ancient 604e 200MHz with a Techworks card with only 4MB on it and my graphics are, shall we say, a bit on the crude side. :rolleyes: I very much look forward to cranking up that part of the game.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Thanks, Freak. That's reassuring. Now I can hardly wait for my new Mac to get here. I've been playing on a seemingly ancient 604e 200MHz with a Techworks card with only 4MB on it and my graphics are, shall we say, a bit on the crude side. :rolleyes: I very much look forward to cranking up that part of the game.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael, sound great. Maybe we can get a game going, new mac to new mac smile.gif