How about18th-19th century naval game?

I'm very interested in the impending WWII naval game, but might I also suggest that somebody put an 18th-19th century naval game on their T0-DO list. I still have a c.1976 copy of Avalon Hill's "Wooden Ships and Iron Men." With all the hyper surrounding "Master and Commander," there might be an increased market for such a game.

Out of all the sail fighting game s I have played they seem to me that they quiet get it right. They are either over simplified or they been so hard aginst the AI (because the AI is a master navigator that knows to the tenth of a degree how close he can sail with the wind) that you don't have a long life expectancy.

I'm quiet happy to see a realy good WW II sim come out, with flat tops and land based planes. The only good WW II ship sim I have played and still now then is SSIs' FIGHTING STEEL. A great game that was made better by the NWP guys patches. But now it is getting old plus it was limited by the nations involved, the lack of airpower, land in any of the maps and it only went as far and Dec 1942.

Take the sails in and full steam ahead on the engines I say!!

Mark

It would seem to me that a WW1 naval game would be much better-WW1 was really the last great war of the battleship before those new fangled planes came along and it would certainly be interesting to recreate Jutland in something along the same vein of this game.

Good point Arthur,

I suppose with WW I it would be down to the ships and thats it! no aircraft or radar. but how would we far out there for chossing which nations to have in the original game. Two majors that would have to be in would be Germany and England. After these two everyone else might struggle to list two other major navies that could and did put large fleets into combat.

Mark.

Sure thing,

Just thinking though, it might be more exciting by having only a couple of superpowers. The choice of minor naval players in this war is quiet good. Just look at the Med/Adriatic/Black Sea alone! Even out the far east you could have good fun with squadrons of RN, RAN, IJN, Germanyand the odd srpinkling of dodgey Russian ships running around the tropics.

Mark