DVG - New DIF Card Game

Dan Verssen

Thank you Martin for approving this announcement!

I’m very pleased to announce that my company, DVG, has placed a newly designed Down In Flames tabletop card game “Aces High” up for pre-order on our web site…

www.dvg.com

The game features an improved action card system that greatly expands player decision making and options, additional detailing of aircraft stats, and a new campaign system that focuses on ease of play.

The game has both more action cards and aircraft cards than the originally published game. Aces High includes 110 action cards and 110 aircraft cards, including 55 types of aircraft spanning both Europe and the Pacific.

The new game is not compatible with the old games originally published 15 years ago. After examining the old system in detail, I found there were too many problems to fix, and too many areas to improve upon.

I was able to address these issues with the computer game design, and those of you familiar with it will feel right at home with the new card game design.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Hi Dan

I didn't play the "olde" tabletop game, and tried the computer version - I was not overly impressed, and found luck was too much of a factor.

I've read the "new game" AAR, it seems to have addressed many "luck" issues: "free" maneuver w/o cards, no more "wingmen" (they had just a couple cards, so their life ended up with the luck of the small draw), new system for firing bursts... Unless I'm mistaken, the comp game still has the "old" rules mostly.

Any chance to upgrade with the new system one day ? That would be cool.

• 2 years later...

I sent DVG an email a few weeks ago asking about the update Dan mentioned here a while back - I didn't really expect a reply, but lo and behold I did get one, and here it is:

We are looking into updating the PC game with the new tabletop DIF rules. We should know soon.

All the best,

-Dan

I await further developments with baited breath! :)