Considering buying the bundle-is this game still "alive"?

Lt Bull

Hello

I have been considering buying the bundle pack but the inactivity of this forum and reading many posts about errors connecting to the server and errors relating to MS Net Framework has made me think twice.

Do I really need to downgrade my systems software to MS Net Framework v1.1 in order to play?

Is it true the game can only run at a max res of 1024 x 768 otherwise you get graphical errors?

Am I wrong in thinking that the apparently flakey server people have posted about is a result of admin negelct, because the game is at the end of it's life cycle and very few people are playing so it's not worth making it any better?

Is this why this forum seems "dead"? Where is everyone?

On average, how many people would you typically expect to see logged on to the server?

Lt Bull

When this game first came out in 2005 up through spring 2006 it was fairly common to see a ton of folks playing this game on line - like 20 or more. Since then, while the game has had some nice improvements, interest seems to have slowed dramatically. Now many times I am on alone or see only one to 4 others. Rarely but sometimes up to 8 but that is about it anymore. There are two players that play so heavily and rack up such high kill scores that no one else can come close. So some seem to have just given up and stopped playing. Others play just the campaigns against the AI or occasionally against other humans. Much different than playing single missions as far as managing your assets. Some players play by more restrictive "rules" than others. Such as insisting you can't attack wingman which in turn eliminates the need or use for some of the skills one can purchase that affect wingmen.

I would say if you can get the game cheap to go for it. It is a fun "beer and pretzels" game to relax a little while from the more intense games that require more time and brain drain on your strategies. smile.gif I think its a really nice game, but like you said, the lack of activity shows it is dying.

As for the technical server stuff, maybe someone else can help you... BvB

Hi Bull,

The errors are not common, you will not have to downgrade to Network 1.1 as you most likely already have it if you have higher versions. Try the demo to make sure but if the demo works I assume so will the full bundle.

And the amount of people online or lack thereof shouldnt scare you away. Most people play against the bots anyway, so it really has no bearing on your play. This is a very good game, but its a niche game so we didnt have as many buyers as we should have. The campaigns are generally good and I will still make more, I am just a bit busy one another project for BFC right now.

And one more thing, most people play for a while and leave but most DO come back and play again. As I said this game is very well made so the quality hasnt left and theres usually new people logged in when I come online.

As for the two guys who play a lot, well they are addicts so that should tell you something. smile.gif We should charge these two a monthly fee to play hehe.

Oh ya and its pretty cheap, you will get your moneys worth even after this game as been out 2 years I promise!

-Ray

Originally posted by Lt Bull:

Hello

I have been considering buying the bundle pack but the inactivity of this forum and reading many posts about errors connecting to the server and errors relating to MS Net Framework has made me think twice.

Do I really need to downgrade my systems software to MS Net Framework v1.1 in order to play?

Is it true the game can only run at a max res of 1024 x 768 otherwise you get graphical errors?

Am I wrong in thinking that the apparently flakey server people have posted about is a result of admin negelct, because the game is at the end of it's life cycle and very few people are playing so it's not worth making it any better?

Is this why this forum seems "dead"? Where is everyone?

On average, how many people would you typically expect to see logged on to the server?

Lt Bull

[ May 03, 2007, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Sixxkiller ]