quick reflexes

target pilot x2

Draw extra x5

Wingman Skills:

teamwork

check six

distract leader

draw extra x4

I was dead in the second round. No chance. Not without a certain irony, debriefing claimed: 'axis forces achieved expected results'.

Not taking skill point inflation into account, that's 365 for opfor leader & 190 for wingman. Probably much more. Nevertheless debriefing showed a ratio of 1:1.4. It's more like 1:2 in my book.

Esp. those draw extras, which *I* simply can't afford, are regulary killing me. I doubt that a human opponent would burn so much points on draw extras, but the AI does and it simply play it's cards until I'm dead.

Now I already did a a fair share of whining here & I don't want to throw away the last bits of sympathy. But at least I don't like always being at the recieving end of the stick and -I can't resist- judging from the less than overwhelming traffic on the EF forum, I'm not alone here.

Now I don't know what to do. Waiting for my frustation tolerance raising again -which isn't *that* high in RL also-, waiting for some good advice or simply shelfing the game. But I won't touch another Dan Verssen game with a long fork until I'm not totaly convinced that the difficulty level is more tailored towards joe average.

Thanks for your patience.....

Pia

[ October 10, 2006, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: ZarahNeander ]

Hi Pia,

it might offer little help but encounters like this are really rare. But IMO thats great because in reality there were not often even odds. Germans fought at best 1:40 in 1945, in the beginning of 1942 unexperienced US pilots had to fight veteran Japs. They hadn't much fun I guess but many survived. For me (and many others) beginning in this game was also very hard. Actually I threw my mouse (wireless) out of the window (2nd floor) once - it had no ED so it lies on Arlington now.;) But believe me, there will be a time when you know how AI is working and then will you be disappointed when you only score three kills in a mission. So keep trying, you're really not alone in the skies.

Originally posted by rivven_darke:

it might offer little help but encounters like this are really rare.

Now I wouldn't complain if that was true. I don't expect my pilots to be immortal. Unfortunaly it's the norm, at least offline (stupdid wlan in the hotel lounge).

Originally posted by rivven_darke:

Actually I threw my mouse (wireless) out of the window (2nd floor) once - it had no ED so it lies on Arlington now.;)

LOL--thanks for the encouragement. Knowing that I'm not alone with my conniptions makes me feel better.

I think my problem is that I have no receipe against the neverending 'draw extra card' of the AI.

Pia

By no means am I an expert, but have you utilized the "agility" aspect of your aircraft to its fullest extent?

ie....trying to end up so your "disadvantaged" vs your opponent. That agility is like a free scissors move, believe me when I tell you from an american stand point....I go OUT of my way to make sure I do not end up "advantaged" when fighting agility aircraft....either that or I make sure I have a couple scissors cards in my hand, which murphy's law of DiF states: When you need a scissors you will have a Vertical Roll, and when you need a Vertical Roll, you will have a scissors.

I have come to dread the A6M8, I would much rather fight J2M4s and its +2 damage than face the "super zero" with high performance.

Good Luck, and just keep turning and burning with the zero.

Read the newbie notes - if you dont' like going 2nd then choose a higher altitude to start with - teh AI almost invariably is at Medium in 1:1 games.

You had either zoom climb or power dive - not sure which it is from "Zoom Dive" ;) but use it - if it was power dive then start very high & get extra cards by diving while the AI lsoes them by climbing. If you have zoom climb get your 2 extra cards by starting at v. low and pick whether to attack the AI when it comes to Low - giving you 1st shot but only with your leader - or wait 'til he comes to v. low (giving him 1st shot but only with his leader but with more cards....)

But with that number of skills i'd be looking at staying as far away from the AI as possible - I'd always be climbing or diving with my elader, only taking shots with my wingman so as to avoid being shot at by both his leader and wingman.

Also play more campaigns online when you can - they give you good experience at handling skills and mis-matches without risking your own pilots.

and contrary to your statement such mis-matches are rare - however we tend to play a lot of games, so they crop up on a daily basis simply because of the volume - this makes them appear more common than they are. We rarely notice when we shoot the other guy down very quickly - it's a well known phenomena called "selective recall".

Thanks everyone. I did overcome my frustation again. Until the next time. At least I haven't uninstalled the game for several days.

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

Also play more campaigns online when you can - they give you good experience at handling skills and mis-matches without risking your own pilots.

Now that was worth it's weight in gold. Didn't know that campaigns are played with custom pilots though it makes sense. Great playing ground.

Speaking of campaigns I got the LB/MB/HB thingie explained (it's missing in the manual). Now what's the difference between a red patrol symbol and a blue one? I (allies) assigned 2 elements to a red patrol symbol, the AI assigned none, nevertheless the AI grabbed the 2 points. I'm baffled.

Thanks..Pia

The only thing I can think of is that you might have assigned bombers to the patrol instead of fighters??? But in any case hte AI should not have received any if he didn't assign anything.

The LB/MB/HB thing came in after hte initial game release - hence after hte manual.

There's been a lot of changes sinceh te manual was written!! smile.gif