Demo doesn't start on Mac G4

Luc

- All drivers (3D, sprockets) are up to date

- downloaded PowerLogix cache enabler to disable cache

- switched manually to 640x400

Nothing helped: the demo just tries to switch resolutions and then stops.

Any help ? I'm interested in this game and would really like to try it.

Luc

I assume you mean 640 x 480 instead of 640 x 400, is that correct ? Are you running OS 9.0.4 or are you running OS X ? CM has problems with the "Classic RAVE" extension included with OS X (included for "compatibility mode/9.0.x"). Remove this extension and I believe that CM should work.

Have you started up with a minimum of extensions and control panels ? Has CM created a Preferences file ? If so, delete it and try again. I would suggest running your desktop at the same resolution that CM will run at (just to keep things simple).

Although it is only necessary for in game text info boxes, the latest OpenGL extension (1.2.1 ?) would be helpful (but lacking the latest version shouldn't keep CM from running).

Yes you should read 640x480 instead of 640x400.

I'm running OS 9.0.4 French (could that be a problem ?).

No preference file was created.

I have latest OpenGL.

I'll try again removing all possible extensions to see if there might be a conflict.

Luc

Actually I'm not sure who has the latest OpenGL extension other than the demo download of "Cro-Mag Rally" (approx. 40Mb). The URL to download it is here:

CM thread about OpenGL 1.2.1 fix for ATIs:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/012650.html

Some people on the forum have offered to send other users the OpenGL file itself if the download is too large. However, this only fixes a problem with text display within CM that is seen on Macs with ATI Rage 128/Pros (or similar ATI hardware).

CM creates a preferences file in the System Folder/Preferences Folder. If that file isn't there, then CM isn't even initializing to the point to create that file. You may want to attempt to re-extract the file again to see if that helps. You may even have to re-download the Demo again to make sure that you haven't received a corrupted file (although you would usually receive a message during extraction if there were something wrong with the file).