Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

ATI and Fog Based Tables

Just thought you all might find this interesting. I pursued it as far as I could... =(

----

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your email.

Regarding table-based fog:

This issue has been reported to ATI Engineering. ATI Technical Support is unaware as to when or if a future driver will be released to support this game feature. The previous email was only stating that you must use drivers provided from IBM in order to use all of the features and configuration in your system from IBM.

Should you require any further information or assistance, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Please quote your ATI Customer Number, 1048570CSC, in any future correspondence.

Regards,

Evan Kreiner

Technical Support Canada

ATI Technologies, Inc.

http://www.ati.com for Sales/Marketing and Product Information

http://support.ati.com for Technical Support, Driver Download, FAQ's, etc.

Guest Napoleon1944

We want FOG! I am about ready to buy a new card. I have an ATI 128 card now.

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Yes, I agree! I wonder how terribly difficult it would be to add support within the game itself for whatever you want to call the "new" method of doing fog.

I would GLADLY go out and buy a new video card, a Geforce 3, whatever, if I wasn't "landlocked" to an IBM ThinkPad. For all other purposes, the laptop is brilliant, but for this game, I'm missing out on what I consider critical graphical elements.

What do you say Big Time, any chance this could get support in a forthcoming patch?

You're probably speaking about using vertex-based fog rather than fog-tables. The reason BTS chose fog-tables over vertex-based fog was for support of older video cards which wouldn't support vertex-based fog. Vertex-based fog could/would add some new incompatibilities into the mix.

Unforunately I don't think you're going to see a patch to CMBO to support this. It may be up for consideration for inclusion in CM2, depending on how bad it is needed.

Supporting games on laptops has always been problematic, since if a game needed additional support or patches to the video driver they were often a long time in coming, if at all. Since laptop video chipsets are an OEM affair, the laptop manufacturer may have to pay for additional software/firmware updates for their video implemantation from their supplier (in this case ATI). If this is the case then they may not be willing to use up/pay for additional updates for game-only reasons. However since NVidia is jumping into the laptop graphics arena this may push other suppliers like ATI to update their software/firmware a little more often (since ATI has been the dominant player in this field for the last several years).