Getting the Wingman to "Take the Lead"

Brent Pollock

I have yet to purchase this with experience points, but I think I just figured out the possible advantage it gives.

Do you use it once your leader is low on energy, thereby gaining a fresh big hand for the former wingman once he takes the lead?

And by "neutral", I take that to mean that it can only get used if your side is neither advantaged/disadvantaged? Or can you use it when advantaged, but you automatically lose advantage?

Hmmm...something to try next game...

Yes, it's useful when low on energy (although it's expensive to "just" gain a few cards). I use it mainly when my leader is not only low on energy but also damaged (thereby losing Performance and Horsepower). Overall though it's fairly expensive to buy, so use it wisely smile.gif

Martin

It also becomes less useful as your leader gets to higher levels. When you have a fairly low level leader, he doesn't have very many skills. So when he swaps with his wingman, you aren't giving up very much in return for a fresh hand for your wingman.

But when you have a high level leader with lots of skills, you really have to think hard whether having a wingman take the lead with a new hand, but no leader skills is better than your current leader with fewer cards but lots of skills.

This brings up an interesting question.

Most skills are leader or wingman specific, so would be lost when they switch. Then there is "Natural Pilot", which is the same for both, so I assume they would be kept after the switch.

What about "Extra Engergy". Both Leaders and Wingmen have it, but the effects are different for each. Does a Leader with "Extra Energy" who is switched to the wingman position gain the Wingman version, or does he retain the now useless Leader version?

You retain all skills you had before the switch took place. As you pointed out, most skills will be useless in the new position, although Natural Pilot is one that works in either position, as does the "Draw Extra Card" or "Redraw" skills.

That's why the "Take the Lead" skill becomes much less of a useful skill as your Leader and Wingman become more "specialized".